Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 12-10-2009, 18:44   #101
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi D View Post
As it was i won beating akots and BCLG launches by a few turns and psycho Stapel's launch of a very different kind by a turn (what is it with people playing the aztecs need for violence on our earth maps) so from my point of view it was a very exciting if mostly bloodless finish.
That game! I had North America, Beam had South America, and both of us had no chance at all. We were behind by default and all we could possibly do is act from frustration and see if we could do some damage to anyone.
I guess Matrix had a bit of the same in RtW2

And BTW, there hardly is a point in having an aggresive leader and being peaceful, right?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 19:57   #102
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
That game! I had North America, Beam had South America, and both of us had no chance at all. We were behind by default and all we could possibly do is act from frustration and see if we could do some damage to anyone.
I guess Matrix had a bit of the same in RtW2

And BTW, there hardly is a point in having an aggresive leader and being peaceful, right?
Yeah, we had only contact / trade routes with each other until Optics / Astro. Iirc my techrate was up by a factor 4 after I made contact with the Old World and established trade routes.

Then Stapel attacks BCLG, BCLG builds a retaliation force, while it is sailing hears a rumour from Shabba I was building lots of cannons (while I did not even have Steel ) and decides to attack me instead. Then Stapel gifted all units he had build to me and I finally managed to fight BCLG out. Apart from having to cut all jungle in the Amazon bassin which made me really look bad from an ecologocal PoV that was about my game.
Old 13-10-2009, 03:13   #103
Wosret
Chieftain

A good deal demands a good interpretation of the actual in game situation as well as a minimum clarevoyance.

betrayl or being faithful is just a game choice, and it sounds fine to me, so im always prepared to deal with traitors, and civ allows we keep an eye on the cat while another one is on the fish... keepn spies on friends is aways a good thing to avoid suprise deal breaking..

I think once its phisically possible, one should know that when hes about win, and his fella is not that far, theres a eminent deal breaking.
Wosret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:02   #104
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
If I would have fought with Drakness, somebody else would have won, may be even you, and I would have certainly lost since I was quite behind in production and a couple of turns behind in research. I would have preferred Darkness to win. His game was well played and we waged a couple of very nicely executed military campaigns together in close alliance. I don't mind to let somebody else win especially if this win seems logical and well deserved IMHO. And I would not break a deal under these circumstances. I had no other contradictory deals with this particular deal. That deal was required at the time it was made for both of us. Darkness was able to wrap up Robi and I was finally able to finish it off with BCLG and to recover afterwards. That gave us both a worry-free window for building up. He was bigger and stronger but at the time the deal was made, I thought that it would have been possible for me to get more or less even with him or so I have thought probably being overly optimistic. So, the deal was quite fair and I don't regret making it. Because, TBH, if I would have had to wage wars with Darkness and BCLG at the same time, the outcome would have been very predictable. Indeed, India would have been gone from the map in no more than 10 turns.
Thanks for the kind words akots.

I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. War between the two of us at the end of RTW2 would not have benefitted either of us, it would only have benefitted a third party. And to break a deal for the benefit of a third party makes no sense to me. Our deal was very beneficial to the both of us I think. Together we crushed Russia in the beginning, and during the middle part of the game the deal provided us with a secure partner that allowed the allocation of resources to the elimination of other neighbours (China for you and Rome for me). In the late game any struggle between us was useless (IMHO) because such a struggle would have completely drained the victors resources allowing a third party to win by space. The only option remaining was to team up with a lot of other partners to eliminate either India of the Vikings. IIRC Matrix even offered/suggested this to me, but I saw little use for it. I was more interested in keeping the homeland safe and stable for the spaceship win and getting revenge against the Aztec barbarians (who also played a very good game, IMHO, especially considering the relative isolation of the starting location)...
Old 13-10-2009, 13:26   #105
Stapel
Emperor

Just for the record: I never tried to argue that long term deals are wrong! I simply would like to address that there are a few risks attached to it. Mostly that a permanent alliance can lock the game.

Old 14-10-2009, 17:03   #106
Stapel
Emperor

Dudes, you are all invited at my place:

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/sho...655#post124655

Old 15-10-2009, 06:53   #107
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Cannot d/l the script from the league server. Can please somebody who has it put it here as attachment? Or is the file too big? Is there this script file at CFC?
Old 15-10-2009, 09:53   #108
Indiansmoke
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
Cannot d/l the script from the league server. Can please somebody who has it put it here as attachment? Or is the file too big? Is there this script file at CFC?
The league site is down that is why you cannot download...try later.
Indiansmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 09:54   #109
Indiansmoke
Chieftain

At least I am not the only one who is having no luck with huts!
Indiansmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 11:35   #110
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiansmoke View Post
At least I am not the only one who is having no luck with huts!
I felt a bit unlucky too. But hey, at least no barbs!