Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ProPain's Forum
Home

Old 19-01-2004, 15:44   #21
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

wow!

this looks like dream development (though i ahven#t seen KRs spoiler)
Old 19-01-2004, 16:24   #22
col
King

I'm reading both - and its a good game
Old 19-01-2004, 23:21   #23
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

The Treacherous Greeks
The Greeks make peace with KR and somehow give KR currency&constr for it. I suspect a gpt deal. Alex is willing to send me 3 gpt for some cash but his breaking up of the alliance cost him 21 gpt. It suggest KR is paying (24 gpt?) for those techs. I decide to not redeclare war and let him have those techs for cheap, he;s gonna pay the 20 turns or ruin his rep.

Follow the leader

Turn 109 (370bc iirc) sees the following

80.52KB

Building an army is quite useless as I need to get my military of the island soon. So it's either the Great-Lib or tuck it away. Decide for great lib. Everyone is about tech par and I;m on the verge of republic (8 turns) so other will be to. MOve leader to city, in turn 110 I rush GLi.

Attack with another elite

74.37KB
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 09:00   #24
ProPain

breaking news: Glorious Chinese build great library

After a many years of war and a lot of battles against the perfidous Koreans finally a great leader rose from the battlefield. The overjoyous Chinese people celebrated this moment to create a true wonder of the world, The Great Library. For the short future we will gain all techs for free as we shold after our immense effort to cull strong Koreans. Our well known reporter TinTin sent us the following postcard.

The great conspiracy
For unknown reasons to me all the AI are ganging up on me. First the Ottomans joined the war against me, shortly followed by the Germans and last turn even the Greeks joined the war. Backstabbing bastards.
I do suspect it's the AI buying in each other as I don't think KR would spend his cash on a weak civs on other islands to go to war with me. From a military viewpoint I'm not worried at all, from a trading viewpoint it might become a problem. I'm just really glad I build the G-lib so now I dont have to worry of falling behind in tech.

I trade 2 luxes with the Indians so I dont think they'll join the war antytime soon. I also started giving the Romans 1 gpt to keep em happy.

short term strategy
I;m in anarchy as the great lib came online as ottos and gerries invented the republic. Good thing I still had 8 turns to go on my own. I drew 8 turn anarachy. Everybody is republic bnow except KingReno which makes me think he is in his GA for sure. Good.

I'll be concentrating on building up cash and building some spears and a lot of horsies and a some galleys. I'll use the 3rd leader to rush Leo's and then I'll use my cash to mass upgrade horsemen to riders. Don't know who to attack yet, I guess I have 3 options.

Northern Island Option
Get a RoP with the Indians, ferry over the riders, kill germans, ottos and finally Indians.
Pro: small civs, easy to conquer, they're close so it's easy. Might jump palace to here too and get a nice 2nd core
Con: KR will have time to clean his island

Greek Option
ferry troops. Kill the greeks
Pro: close, will box in KR
Con: KR wont take this without a fight

Zulu option
Make peace & RoP with greeks, ferry troops. Attack zulus from greece.
Pro: bringing war to other player usually gives you an advantage
con: need peace with greeks, need to be sure that my military will be large enough.

I'll decide when my battle force is ready

Old 20-01-2004, 12:08   #25
Skyfish

I would really not advise any of the first 2 options....but you know my play style
Old 20-01-2004, 13:11   #26
ERIKK

That would make you a really cool guy.
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 13:46   #27
ProPain

Foul Zulus launch attack on China

After declaring war for no apparent reason years ago, now the evil zulus have launched an attack on China!!!

What happened
Now this is BAD news. Beijing had a spear and 2 horses garrisoned an that was it. 7 impis and 3 horses landed. I mustered all the troops I could find toward my capital and praised my luck for getting feudalism last turn. Upgraded my spear to pike, and sent back the turn expecting to lose Beijing ans seeing it razed. End of turn screenie down here.

254.1KB

And this is what I got back:

216.98KB

The pikeman scared KingReno so he sticked with pillaging. PHEW! I launch an attack on the stack in the red circle, kill 1 impi, 2 horses lose nothing. Attack blue circle, lose 2 horses, wound 2 impis.
Upgrade 5 swords to Med Inf

Send turn, receive turn:

142.63KB

Well not too bad. lots of attacking I lose reg med inf and a 4hp elite horseman. KR loses 2 elite impis, 3 vet impis, 1 vet horse.

This is what's left

108.38KB

Send and receive this:

83.37KB

I kinda expected this to happen and it's far less a problem than the first attack. It's not near my core, and quite some troops from the Korean campaign are still in the area because I thought KR would land a 2nd bunch. Thinking what I'm gonna do. I have a galley near Beijing so i can ferry in 2 troops to Inc'on, not sure will think about it.
Old 21-01-2004, 15:44   #28
ProPain

Thought about this and came to the following assumption. I saw KR get an RoP agreement with the Greeks a while ago. I now think he used that to move his troops over land towards the sea strait and used his 5 galleys to pick em up em drop em at Paegam. It could very well be that more troops are on their way so it might be smart to drag in the greeks after all. Also 12 turns or so have passed since peace with Alex so he spent at least some gpt.
Old 21-01-2004, 16:02   #29
col
King

Its fascinating watching this one from both sides .... great game.
Old 23-01-2004, 12:45   #30
ProPain

Tough times in china

It took me awhile to assess the situation and act upon it.
First turn after the landing I took following action:
  • gifted Paegam to the Germans. They're the most powerfull AI KR is not at war with apart from the Greeks. If KR wants Paegam, he'll have to go to war with Gerries for it.
  • Dragged in the greeks, I suspect KR is using their territory for ferrying troops and I want that to stop. Also Greeks have feudalism and KR has not, so he'll be facing Med Inf and Hop/pikes with impis/horsemen. The attack on Beijing showed that Med Inf arent bothered by impis. All this for a mere 26 gpt
  • Decided to retreat to Cheju. I think KR will move his troops towards Inch'on next turn, I'll gift it to the Otto's then. This gives me a 2 turn window to rush rax in Cheju and upgrade 2 swords to med inf. Also I'm not going to take on those impis when they're on mountains. I think he'll move south from Inch'on the turn after and I'm ready to finish his stack
  • I rush some pikes in my core cities to repell an attack from the Indians in the east, if they might decide to land a few troops.

Sent turn, get turn back.

KR didnt notice the worker next to Paegam being Chinese and not German. I guess the 2 shades of blue saved my ass here. That's an unsuspected surprise. I move worker towards Cheju.

Indeed KR moved his troops towards Inch'on. I gift it to the ottomans. Upgrade swords in Cheju, disband cata in CHeju to take first shields of new med inf build and rush buy it. Next turn I guess KR will move his troops to hill W-SW of Inch'on I have 3 med inf and 8 horses ready to take em on then.

I make peace with the indians for 40 gold. It's worth it because I can trade luxes with Ghandi again. Trade 2 lux for 1 lux, 65 gold and 2 gpt. Set llux slider back to 0% and earn +20 gpt.

I check the f11 screen and there's another nice surprise!

168.68*KB

I'm no 1 in mfg goods and GNP. I have been no. 1 and no. 2 in GNP all the time, but I was 2nd and later 3rd in mfg goods for quite a while. So probably Greece and Zululand have ended their GA then. Possibly KR planned to go into anarchy now but that might be difficult now he's at war with neigbouring Greece. I'll hope and see

For now I'm hoping I won't see a 3rd stack show up on my eastern side because that would pose a big problem, but my guess is he can't reach me from there.