Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Shabbaman's Forum
Home

Old 08-03-2013, 17:17   #41
Shabbaman
Administrator

To cut a long story short: the cascading seniority succession in the HRE meant that I lost two duchies, because those old Salian bastards became emperor. Besides that, I also lost Swabia due to some inheritance mishap. So, I finally got to found the independence faction. Of course nobody joined, but at least the HRE transferred Swabia to me again. Yay. Because nobody joined I left the faction, and the king of Hungary founded the faction anew. While I was battling Sweden for a Bavarian county (really, Sweden...), the king of Hungary pressed his claim for independence. So I swiftly dispatched the Swedish deathstack, and faced the 30k HRE deathstack. With some luck and a reload I dispatched the stack with the help of a free company and 25k of my own troops.

So, here it is, the independent kingdom of Germany:

The HRE consists mainly of the kingdom of Bohemia now. That's funny, because Bohemia has been in every independence war except this one. I hope they fight the HRE soon, I don't want the HRE to pick on me. I'll see what happens if I start a new fight.
Old 18-03-2013, 11:23   #42
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, the HRE doesn't contain the kingdom of Bohemia anymore. I noticed there's a Billung with a claim on the kingdom of Bohemia, so I pushed that claim. I won easily, because the HRE was fighting among themselves for a change (speaking of which, I found that when you're independent you can join wars at will, pretty fun ), so a Billung got the throne. Sometimes it's a surprise what happens when you push a claim:
-the Billung family gets the throne
-the new king gets the county with the capital
-the old king stays duke of the duchy of Bohemia, without the capital
-another Billung already was duke of the other half of Bohemia
-obviously the king of Bohemia can't be vassal of the king of Germany, because the titles are of a similar level
-the kingdom of Bohemia becomes independent (yay!)
-the duchy of Bohemia stays in the HRE (wait what?)

Sometimes the game shows other surprising peculiarities:

I can't revoke his title, because his territory is still de jure part of the HRE. Yet the HRE is in turmoil and doesn't have ANY crown authority... Does it make sense? I don't think anything in regard to the HRE made any sense in reality, so in that regard this mechanic makes sense.

I've encountered a minor disconvenience: I've lost a duchy. I had conquered two duchies that are the jure part of the kingdom of Poland: Silesia and Greater Poland. The kingdom of Poland has an elective monarchy, with the de jure dukes getting a vote. So when the duke of Silesia nominated himself, and the duke of Greater Poland supported his nomination... he became the king of Poland, taking the duchy of Silesia with him. So now there's a Billung on the throne of Poland and a Billung on the throne of Bohemia.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:18   #43
Shabbaman
Administrator

Good times.

Yes, that actually happened. Because of the stupid succession rules I can't keep both kingdoms, so I simply dissolved the kingdom and distributed the vassals among as many non-Bohemian vassals as possible. Why? To keep them from reforming the kingdom of Bohemia. I have a feeling someone will succeed with that anyway, but it's worth trying. The kingdom of Germany has medium crown authority (which prevents vassals from fighting eachother), but I found crown laws only apply to de jure land. So, endless fighting for the periphery of the german kingdom until their lands have drifted into my de jure territory after 100 years of occupation.

As soon as king Amadeus I of Poland (my Billung cousin) was succeeded by Amadeus II, I got to push a claim on the duchy of Silesia for a Billung family member. Hopefully I get to keep it a bit longer this time around. In the image below you can see my borders in yellow, and my land in grey. The grey outside my borders is what's left of the HRE.

Oh, and Martin the ill-ruler died at the age of 75. Long live Martin IV.
Old 23-04-2013, 10:43   #44
Shabbaman
Administrator

The Golden Horde invaded Poland. Twice. The second time I was otherwise occupied, so the Horde annexed Poland. So what does the mighty king of Germany do? Call for a holy war!

Holy wars are pretty cool, it's the easiest way to grab a lot of land.

Unfortunately, even with holy wars, you have to obey truce... and in the meanwhile, the Golden Horde converted to orthodox christianity. In other words: not pagan, so no holy war. That's a bit of a pity. I could wait to find out if they convert back, or if they even remain hostile. It could be that their tribal conquest CB requires them to be pagan. That would be interesting to find out. However, that's about the only thing that's still interesting in this game: Germany is so huge it can even crush the Golden Horde's stacks of doom on it's own. Playing has become tedious. I have not achieved my main goals: creating Frisia, and exterminating the HRE. The HRE is down to a few duchies, but with the truce slowing down conquest... that'd be tedious. I could create Frisia if I got a dutch tutor for an heir, so I'll check that as "achieved".

What's next? Believe it or not, I started a game of civ5. I'm already winning (apparently building your capital on a choke point with archers behind is a nice way to get the AI to put it's units in the meat grinder), so I guess that'll be enough of that. I've restrained buying Victoria 2 for a week, and the discount is only for another 10 hours. Victoria is said to have the best implementation of economics of all Paradox grand strategy games, so I have to admit that it's tempting... temptation, temptation... However, I still haven't played the Republic and Byzantine DLC for CK2. From what I've seen of Byzantine games is that they inevitably end in owning the whole map, I can't say that prospect thrills me. So, merchant republic it is.