Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 21-02-2006, 22:13   #1
romeothemonk
King

Default New Opponent sought

Greetings everyone. I have my copy of civ 4 and have played it a bit.
IMHO, civ4 as it stands now is a great multiplayer game, but a middling single player game.

Since you now know where I stand on the issue, I would like to utilize the multiplayer functionality of c4.

I am looking for a game with 1 other human and a to be determined number of AI.

Anything else is up for discussion.

I would like to keep it 2 humans, so we can do a power pitboss session or something to really get the game flowing in the early/boring years.
Old 21-02-2006, 22:59   #2
grahamiam
Emperor

I'll have a go at it Romeo. I've been wanting to fool around with the pitboss thing as well (especially since reading Whomp's and Tubby's report on it).

I really like lake maps, if you're up for it (it has worldwrap, unlike great plains and inner sea). Maybe small, default number of AI's? Speed? water level? difficulty level (ok with up to Monarch so far, but higher needs more work)?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 23:48   #3
romeothemonk
King

Sounds like a plan grahamiam. I have played one c3c game with you and I would like a rematch of some kind.

Anyway lakes sounds good, Monarch is acceptable.

Any restrictions on civs? Any you don't want me to play? ( I Have only played 3 games of c4, but I really am partial to aggressive)

Small map sounds good as well.
Old 22-02-2006, 00:06   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

I'm fine with anything. I'll play the Inca, just so we're both aggresive

And for AI, if Monarch is too much, we can always just do Noble or Prince. I'd rather they not do too much to influence the outcome. Anyways, I have to help my oldest with some homework. When do you want to try to start? I have a game tonight with my brother-in-law so tomorrow would be ok?
Old 22-02-2006, 00:07   #5
Matrix
Administrator

Please keep in mind that you can't switch from PBEM to Pitboss/online MP. (Until the next patch.)
Old 22-02-2006, 00:17   #6
romeothemonk
King

Thanks Matrix. That information is disconcerting.
We will probably run it as a standard PBEM, just use MSN to set up some power sessions.

I was actually hoping to set the game up this weekend, as I am busy for the rest of the week in the evenings. I have workouts on Wed, Dinner Party on Thursday and a "Welcome back from the Sandbox Party" on friday.
Old 22-02-2006, 00:48   #7
Tubby Rower

I'd also be interested. Whomp & I have an ongoing appointment that when we are both bored we'll start up/continue a pitboss game. It would be nice to have a small 3 or 4 way pitboss game, but I'll step back into the shadows as my time right now is limited.
Old 22-02-2006, 01:53   #8
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I have a good news, it seems that it is quite possible to play custom scenario files in PBEM even under version 1.52. I've been experimenting with mapmaking for the past week and have now a good protocol on how to setup the things there.

Bad news, is that the new patch is coming and rather soon and saves can be incompatible. But also seems that the C3C 1.15/1.22 trick seems to works and you can actually run two versions of Civ4 from one computer.

Since I'm a scientist and I like to experiment, hows about I cook a map for you, start the game and you tell me how you are feeling. Just tell me the settings and other stuff that you want.

If you wish it to be easy and random, fine with me, less hassle for everyone. I'll come online later today.

Me myself, on the other hand, am looking for a decent MP game, 2 humans, no AI, duel or tiny map, short one, quickie, for a couple of evenings starting around 8pm US Central on weekdays up to midnight or any time on weekend.
Old 22-02-2006, 02:21   #9
grahamiam
Emperor

yes, looks like we have quite a bit around now [] Since akots is way ahead of me, I'll pass on his offer (i mean, for fucks sake, I'm still struggling big time @ emporer, and monarch isn't guarenteed either ) j/k

actually, i would like to try some 2-4 hrs games on pitboss. weekend type games. since i'm married with children, i usually have no social life, so saturdays are usually free
Old 22-02-2006, 02:34   #10
Tubby Rower

I'll withdraw my position. I'm not sure that I have the time for it to be honest. maybe after the new baby comes in MAy I'll have some free time