Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 01-10-2010, 01:27   #11
Rik Meleet

The word Clenbuterol immidiately triggers the word "veal" in my head. The connection with meat is not so absurd, IMHPOV.
The fact that July 21st was a rest day gives more credit to Contador for 2 reasons. Having a rest day tomorrow means that you can divert from the strict diet the evening before the rest day and secondly, what is the benefit of being doped on a restday ??
Contador already wore yellow by then so he would have been tested earlier. AFAIK no traces were found prior to, so it sounds as he entered clenbuterol into his body by the 20th.

I am not knowledgable enough on the duration of the 'positive' effects of blooddoping to refute or confirm that theory. If it works for -let's say' 12 or 16 hours then I'd disregard it as a possibility. If it works for over 24 hours then yes, it sounds like a possibility.
Does anyone know how long blooddoping works ?

Edit: I've found a source which says that blooddoping works 3 weeks, but it's a source I don't really trust and I can't get it confirmed - continuing searching...

Last edited by Rik Meleet; 01-10-2010 at 01:39.
Rik Meleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32   #12
Shabbaman
Administrator

Red blood cells live up to 120 days. Obviously the average age of red blood cells in the transfused blood isn't 0, but more likely about half the life time. So the transfusion can have an effect up to two months. By the end the effect is very small, since there are only a small number of young blood cells.

The food contamination story is bullshit. If this was the case, the likelyhood of other athletes being caught with comparable concentrations would be enormous. You really think that Contador is the only rider ever to eat bovine meat? Oh no, wait, it was only the meat from that one butcher shop Contador's story gets even more absurd: there was one rider from the same team that was tested at the same day, but he wasn't tested positive "because he didn't like the meat and didn't eat it".

Seriously.

This is a bullshit story if there ever was one. If they test all the riders for the same substance and the same concentrations and they find that within a period of a year everyone has had this concentration at least once, yes, then it makes sense. Now it's just a plausible excuse. Plausible because it's true (sure, animals get injected with all kind of stuff you don't want to know about), implausible because it has no statistical backing whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2010, 18:54   #13
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

first: I totally agree that Contador's story is bullshit.

Second: Not sure if food contamination would show up in a lot of atlethes. Apparently only a few labs can test for such minute traces of clenbuterol

But in the end some sort of contaminated blood transfusion seems likely to me. Especially in combination with his very hard to believe story.

Contador has announced he might retire from cycling should he get a ban. This sort of blackmail doesn't go down very well with me. I now only hope they do ban him.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 20:26   #14
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
Apparently only a few labs can test for such minute traces of clenbuterol
Apparently. So it boils down to this: how many athletes did they test on this?
Old 04-10-2010, 00:48   #15
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

read on another site WADA reported 86 clenbuterol positives in 2009. No further info on amount, sport etc.

Also this year a chinese procyclist was banned for trace amount of clenbuterol, he also claimed he didn't take any doping. And it seems China is still infamous for using clenbuterol for speedgrowing cattle.

But still: Contador's story is in the tradition of famous cyclist dope excuses

VandenBroucke: those drugs (epo, clenbuterol, morfine) are for my dog
Rumsas: those drugs in my wife's car (epo, testosteron) are for an orphanage/my mother in law

Although I must admit I like VDB's dog story a lot better than Contador's switched steak.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote