Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 19-01-2008, 00:33   #41
Beorn
Disabled Vet

In Canada there's 2 levels of Government, Provincial and Federal, so it's not exactly the same but the bulk of it is:

- No tax on your first 10 000$ (10+ on one side, 9+ on the other, average ~10)

- 30% tax (11% +19%) if your total income is below 30K (again, rough average)

- 40% tax if your total is below 40K

- 46% tax if your total is below 50K

- Then it goes up slowly, but in practice you get real close real fast to the 52% tax roof, after 60K
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 03:02   #42
Robi D
King

I am mot surprised to see that Australia and Canada are at a similar level since both countries have small populations compared to land area. Australia has a population density of 2.5 people per sq.km. So the cost of infrastructure is shared by fewer people. This is why i'm surprised at European tax rates, give that europe is roughly the same size as Australia.

There are other taxes here as well aside from income tax. There is a 10% goods and services tax on everything you buy although basic food items are exluded. There is a excise on petrol, alcohol and tobacco. Petrol is 59c per litre, don't know the other two.
On a state level there is a land tax on home owners plus they also have a petrol tax(about 8c/L) and then the local councils charge there rates on home owners. But looking at the other posts all countries have the same sorts of taxes.

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 03:51   #43
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Right, there's a federal 7% tax on goods and services, and then (cumulative) provincial taxes on the same goods and services (basic food also excluded) bringing it up to 14% here, for a grand total of 66% tax roof. Provincial taxes go from none to not much more than here, so depending on where you're at, the roof is somewhere between 59% and 70%.

Gas is heavily taxed (I'd say 20¢/L off the top of my head but it varies and I haven't had a car for a while either), for both cars and heating, to encourage public transportation and green heating. Cigarettes are heavily taxed, the idea being to pay hospital care for the smokers. Alcohol also has a special tax on it but you can buy wines and spirits at the corner store so nothing is a deterrent from that one.

We also have a bunch of hidden taxes running on car license plates, driver permits, health insurance card, school taxes, municipal house taxes ... the idea being to fuel the bureaucracy (High Upkeep, ring a bell?).

All in all, we probably have a good 15% left of our income in the least
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 15:40   #44
Robboo
King

What a great idea the Feds have come up with...800 dollar rebate or 1600 married couple. This is the economic stimulus package that Bush has come up with. Now is it just an "cash advance" on next years taxes or is in taxed as income or what. You know they arent giving it to us for free with no strings.

Also they may put a cap at 110K(80 K ind.) gross income. Those above it dont get it.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 16:43   #45
grahamiam
Emperor

What, it's an election year. I always liked to get bribed with my own money.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 19:13   #46
Robboo
King

Yeah I dont mind since i will kill off a student loan with it. Just think its a bit short sighted and will end up making things worse..just later. Its purely political move, you shovel the crunch to the next president and hope its a democrat.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 23:57   #47
romeothemonk
King

Did you know that you can get more Oil by shaking a Saudi while he is held upside down?

That is my plan for fixing the economy.