Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 30-09-2006, 19:21   #1
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.
Default A big nail in the Windoze coffin

C3C runs very smooth under Unbuntu Linux with Cedega making it think it is in Windoze, Civ IV runs pretty smooth as well but has occasional crashes (but less than 10 in a game I played on through 2050). With some more tweaking / testing it should be able to run it more stable.

Right now I've got almost all functionality up and running needed on a daily base. So Browser, e-Mail, chat, MM players, burners and more shit but most important Civ! All is legally free except Cedega which requires a mandatory subscription for 3 months at $15. After that it is free to use but no updates and support.

After installing Ubuntu all of this took less than a week.

Windoze gets fist in arse.
Old 30-09-2006, 19:36   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

So you're almost back in business, hurray!
Old 30-09-2006, 19:55   #3
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

So you're almost back in business, hurray!
And basically Windoze free.
Old 30-09-2006, 20:15   #4
grs
The Nameless One

[sarcasm on]I don't think people needing one week to make a linux system work like a windows one will even be a splinter of windows' coffin.[sarcasm off]
Old 30-09-2006, 20:19   #5
BCLG100
Deity

and so what was the point in all this? (coming from the computer illiterate)

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 20:49   #6
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grs

[sarcasm on]I don't think people needing one week to make a linux system work like a windows one will even be a splinter of windows' coffin.[sarcasm off]
First of all I'm a complete n00b to Linux and experienced users definetely will need less time to install a Linux distro, find out how to install native apps, tweak settings like screen refresh rate, find out what app to install for things like games where there is no equivalent in Linux (like Civ, except for FreeCiv which is a Civ II implementation), install 2 Civ versions and patch them etc. The only reason I'm using Cedega is for games, anything else is available in Linux and as good if not better compared to XP imo.

The nail in the Windows coffin imo is that there isn't much need to stick with it at all, unless there is a specific app you need frequently which makes switching between Linux and Windows an annoyance. I have a dual boot and leave Windows on the HD for a while just in case.

I don't understand the sarcasm btw.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

and so what was the point in all this? (coming from the computer illiterate)
Apart from being sick from Microsoft stuff for a while I got "Delayed write failure" errors couple of weeks and XP was corrupting files because of this. Even worse it did so after rebooting and corrupting every file needed to start XP so at next reboot unable to reboot.

It was a Linux Live CD making it possible to rescue valuable data and burn it to a DVD. MS has a support page for "Delayed write failure" and blames it to either hardware or network issues .

So I reinstalled a basic XP on a small partition and devoted the rest of my time to finding a nice distro and installing that.

The only thing taking some time was getting the screen refresh rate right, Ubuntu forum was of great help there. Other things like installing nVidia drivers and HP printers were a piece of cake.
Old 30-09-2006, 22:00   #7
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

That is so nice.

I think if I am able to collect all time I spent fixing windows on various PCs, that would add up to a few extra years of life which would never come back.

Compared to the XP disaster, time you've invested into Ubuntu is actually very modest and saves a bunch of cash as well.
Old 30-09-2006, 22:08   #8
Socrates
Emperor

Beam, your thread is of high interest for me at the moment. As can be seen in a recent thread of mine, I've installed Ubuntu as well (Dapper Drake), after a guy at the Uni gave me a live CD of it. I wanted to test different things with it this weekend, but basically put that for tomorrow. One of the things was to see how to get Civ4 working on Ubuntu, so your experiment (should it continue, so as to get things improved, as you said) is valuable for me.

The only problem I have with using Cedega is this : it costs money, and I wonder why I should pay money for a game that I have already bought at a high price, to make it run on a free OS. Puzzles me, conceptually-wise (we French love concepts). Is it only 15 $ total for 3 months and then legally free ? It seems the game isn't properly working with Wine only (the free program on which Cedega is built). But there is also Cedega CVS, a free version of Cedega which isn't optimized, but I'm not sure it's working great either. In any case, I'll make some experiment too.

My goal is to switch to Linux at 100% sometime in the future. Dual boot is hell : I'm waiting for my PBEM save when my computer is running, so guess which of the 2 OS I'm using mostly ?
Old 30-09-2006, 22:38   #9
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

Beam, your thread is of high interest for me at the moment. As can be seen in a recent thread of mine, I've installed Ubuntu as well (Dapper Drake), after a guy at the Uni gave me a live CD of it. I wanted to test different things with it this weekend, but basically put that for tomorrow. One of the things was to see how to get Civ4 working on Ubuntu, so your experiment (should it continue, so as to get things improved, as you said) is valuable for me.

The only problem I have with using Cedega is this : it costs money, and I wonder why I should pay money for a game that I have already bought at a high price, to make it run on a free OS. Puzzles me, conceptually-wise (we French love concepts). Is it only 15 $ total for 3 months and then legally free ? It seems the game isn't properly working with Wine only (the free program on which Cedega is built). But there is also Cedega CVS, a free version of Cedega which isn't optimized, but I'm not sure it's working great either. In any case, I'll make some experiment too.

My goal is to switch to Linux at 100% sometime in the future. Dual boot is hell : I'm waiting for my PBEM save when my computer is running, so guess which of the 2 OS I'm using mostly ?
Krys, nice to read we are on the same track! Answering your questions / comments as well as possible:
- I also use Dapper Drake (actually the latest Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS for AMD Athlon).
- It is installed on my HD which is needed to run Civ IV cause it apparently needs to see a couple of XP directories. I doubt you can make Civ IV run with the Live CD if not installed on the HD. The Live CD is very nice however to get a general feel.
- From what I've read about what you pay for Cedega is not related to the CVS part or the Civ-game-I've-already-paid-for-part but for a couple of dlls that you normally get with Windoze. Wether or not this is correct behaviour is a matter of opinion imo. I investigated a lot and these Transgaming shitheads are the only ones offering something where you can run Civ IV with.
- Wine does not include those DLLs and will not be able to run Civ IV atm afaik.

Something I'd like to add is that Linux / Cedega isn't the silver bullet if Civ IV isn't running well on your current XP implementation. I see the same issues with ATI cards for example.

Lat but not least: if more people are considering to migrate I'm always prepared to help, just keep in mind I'm only a week ahead of you.
Old 30-09-2006, 23:34   #10
Socrates
Emperor

In France we sometimes talk about Windows as Windaube, daube meaning shit in argotic French.

- Hehe, I also have an Athlon (1800+ : old).
- I quickly installed Ubuntu on my HD, cause the Live CD was sooo slow (slower than Civ4 ). But I didn't understand if you said you installed it on the same physical HD than Civ, or the same partition, which is an important thing to consider. Currently, I have one partition for M$ Windaube, one for data (both under NTFS), one for Ubuntu "/" (under ext3), and one for "swap" (under Linux-swap). None for "/home", but I'd do that if I didn't have a dual-boot. Where should I install Cedega or Wine or Cedega-CVS (for experiment purpose) ? And should I also install a 2nd Civ4 in the Linux partition ?
- Yes, what Cedega offers is a specialized service for recent games. But as far as I know, the guys working on Wine are guessing as much as they can how Windaube is built, so as to make the perfect API translation. It is reported that Civ4 runs, but I saw screenshots with black terrain, so... CVS seems to be the Cedega free version for people to try, but of course they won't put much effort in it, for obvious reasons. We shouldn't forget that Cedega is a compagny dealing with M$, and I don't know if they help the Linux community... And they have a monopoly on that niche market, as you said. Just like M$.
- I have a nVidia gfx card, so I have less worries than others, but it is an old card...

Like Beam, I want to explore the terrain, and I'll offer my help to CDZ adventurers in the future, because we need as many migrants as possible.