Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > bed_head7's forum
Home

Old 20-08-2007, 13:16   #1
bed_head7

Default bed_head7's alternate trivia competition #1 redux

The last one, ages ago, was sort of ridiculous. I will aim to make one that is more reasonable this time. PM me for any necessary clarifications to questions, as I am prone to asking questions in a less than straightforward manner.

Science

1. During a star's lifetime, it maintains hydrostatic equilibrium, with the force of self gravity pulling matter inward, and radiation pressure from the energy released in fusion pushing outward. Once a star can no longer fuse matter in its core, it begins to collapse, and eventually becomes what is called a compact star, or compact object. What are the three main classes of compact objects? (1 point for each)

2. Which radioactive element was once commonly used to give glass yellow or orange hues? (1 point)

History

3. Which WWI leader was nicknamed "The Tiger?" (1 point)

4. During which war was the unification of the modern Italian state completed? (1 point)

Geography (sort of)

5. What is the tallest known mountain in the solar system? Note that the geo prefix does not necessarily apply. (1 point)

Arts and Literature

6. In which dystopian novel were the roles of religion and God replaced (roughly) by consumption and Ford? (1 point)

7. Which Jane Austen hero was the most popular choice in a recent survey taken in the UK of fictional characters women would want to date? By the way, I do not expect anyone to actually know the answer, but if you are at all familiar with Jane Austen the answer should be obvious. Of course, as all the people answering are likely males, therein lies the challenge of the question. (1 point)

8. Who painted this iconic piece of American art? (1 point)

20.35 KB

As usual, no looking up answers or using google. Answers due by PM three days from this post, so about 12:15 GMT. Edit: Er, forgot about Daylight Savings time, so I guess that would be 13:15 GMT.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 17:46   #2
barbu1977
Emperor

Sent...

Not easy.
Old 23-08-2007, 10:03   #3
socralynnek

Sent.

At least I am sure of not ending with no points...
Old 23-08-2007, 10:59   #4
digger760
King

Pass, on all.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:48   #5
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Pass too, I'm certainly curious though.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 12:59   #6
bed_head7

Well, I had a few distractions and did not log in to close the competition as expected. I was surprised to see only two entrants. A bit of a shame, as I feel like this was a pretty decent quiz, and certainly a lot of the people who used to participate in barbu's would have been able to answer at least some of them. If barbu and socralynnek do not mind, I'll leave it open for another day or two. If not, or if no one else posts, I'll just post the answers. And, as there is no harm in posting scores, I guess I'll do that now. Currently, the history questions have not been answered correctly, but everything else was answered correctly by at least one of them.

barbu1977 - 5
socralynnek - 6
Old 24-08-2007, 13:07   #7
socralynnek

Oh cool, not bad.

I don't mind you leaving it open for the weekend or so.
Old 24-08-2007, 13:59   #8
barbu1977
Emperor

Not bad either here. I had more good guesses than expected.

I always suspected Ynnek to be a Jane Austin reader.
Old 24-08-2007, 14:07   #9
socralynnek

*sets barbu on ignore list*

bah, what an insult...

never read a single line by jane austin

I just wrote the only name that I think is a person in some book but don't know where I got that name from (I think from some different movie where a character was named like a Jane Austin character)... and I don't guess that was the right answer either...

So, even if I got that answer right, I am not a Jane Austin reader.
No. Not.
Never. Arrrrrggghhhh.

(Damn, there is no ignore list )
Old 25-08-2007, 00:56   #10
bed_head7

I have actually read some Jane Austen. No need to be ashamed, as far as I can tell. Certainly they make good chick flicks or whatever when adapted to film, but they are not entirely romances.

Anyway, I received another answer, this one from Melifluous. The standings now look like:
barbu1977 - 5
socralynnek - 6
Melifluous - 3.5

I encourage anyone who can even make a reasonable guess as to a couple of them to submit something. I am certainly not going to laugh, as the quiz was not designed to be easy, and is definitely tailored to my own interests, and I award partial credit for a wrong guess that includes relevant details. Meli, for instance, correctly named two of the three answers for the first question, and suggested that the third thing he guessed might actually be a subclass of one of the other two, which was correct, so I gave him partial credit.

Anyway, I will accept an answer up until the point at which I decide to write up answers, which will almost definitely not be today.