Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 06-06-2009, 12:16   #1
Matrix
Administrator

Default "Clogs 1 - Clots 0"

Cricket... I know the game, I know the rules/laws, (I had to learn from Stapel and Rik) but I still think it's boring.

However, a historic event has occurred yesterday as the Dutch have defeated the English. This cannot and will not go by in silence.

By the way, what's the difference between normal cricket and Twenty20?
Old 06-06-2009, 14:23   #2
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Not entirely sure but I think:
Normal cricket lasts untill both sides have taken 10 wickets, regardless how many overs that takes. Twenty20 last for 20 overs unless 10 wickets are taken earlier.

I saw the replay late night (I was in flight from the UK to NL when it all happened. How funny is that). Really unexpected to see the dutch beat the english in prehistoric baseball.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 16:56   #3
Rik Meleet

"Normal cricket" ??

There are 2 types of cricket that you could have meant. Test matches or first-class matches are a form of cricket that lasts a maximum of 5 days where each side bats 2 innings and an inning is over when all 10 wickets have fallen or a batting side "declares" which means they basically say "our lead is big enough, we're not going to bat any more in this innings and let the other side bat now". That's a strategic decision based on the fact that when a match is not finished at the end of day 5 it could well become a draw. (Not 100% sure if it is an automatic draw if they don't finish on time).
The other shorter form is "limited overs" where each side gets 1 inning of 50 overs max and then the other side bats for 50 overs (or till the loss of the 10th wicket). Usually lasts nearly 1 day. 1 over = 6 balls.
In a way twenty20 is also limited overs, but the limit is set to 1 innings of 20 overs.

Needless to say you play way more risky with limited overs since it doesn't matter if you've ended the overs with losing 0 wickets or 9 wickets; after 50 overs (or 20) the innings is over. So you go for the risky balls as well. In test-matches losing 1 wicket is a bad thing so you generally play safer by avoiding risky plays.

The combination of shorter matches and more risky and spectacular plays makes limited overs cricket more entertaining to watch, especially for the non-fanatic.