Home

Old 20-03-2005, 22:10   #11
col
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by betazed

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by col

The problem with the background is that it is too uniform - and you can only really get that if the different parts have had chance to reach thermal equilibrium ie they were once in contact.
I wrote part of my M Sc thesis on the microwave background uniformity and the data isnt that great to be honest.
Didn't COBE and WMAP get better data on that? I thought WMAP did an excellent survey of the microwave background. So why do you say that the data isn't that great?
The errors are still pretty large - and when you're dealing with such small quantities as uwave emission from the different parts of the universe, I dont think the case is nailed down.
Old 21-03-2005, 22:47   #12
smalltalk

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akots
The theory of the homeopathy is complicated and rather poorly developed at the moment.
Homeopathy stems from German physician Samual Hahnemann, about 1810. I agree that there wasn't much progress made since.

The basic ideas of homeopathy are:

1) "similia similibus curentur" - The same cures the same. Practically this means, if a substance causes an ill effect in a healthy person, this substance is able to cure those symptoms in a sick one. If an alcaloid like atropin causes a headache, it can be used to cure a headache.

2) Potentizing. It is assumed that diluting an agent would multiply its effect. But diluting alone will not do the trick, the solution has to be "succussed" in a certain way. I guess we have to be glad about this fact, or else the water from our taps would be unacceptably loaded by homeopathic concentrations of any concievable substance.

Quote:
quote:However, there is nothing wrong in general with the idea that a single molecule or single photon can produce substantial biological effect on the whole organism. ... For example, a known fact is that a single molecule of certain bacterial toxins (diphtheria toxin and some botulinum toxin species) can kill a cell.
But where's the homeopathic beaf here? According to the similarity principle, a single toxic molecule should have a positive effect on a sick one. Your example can be explaind by conventional medicine. A toxin is toxic and not healsome.

Besides, if you look at the potency of most homeopathic preparations at this site:
http://www.homeopathyhome.com/servic.../singles.shtml
you will see lots of C30 dilutions. Well, 100^30 is quite a number. Probably you won't find any molecule of the agent in a given sample of those remedies.
Old 22-03-2005, 03:09   #13
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I would not call this stuff remedies. It is just water or whatever dilution agent has been used there. The problem is to know whether these so-called remedies can help anyone or it is a pure fiction and this is just a harmless water sold for ridiculous price. Well, at least it is harmless and therefore allowed.

Well, sometimes it is more important to believe in something than actually see that something. Homeopathy is neither scientific, nor based on religion, it is just another completely different type of thought and logic. There may be some sense in it from the scientific point of view however in general, as it stands now, it is complete bullshit in its pure form.

Indeed, with some molecules, there are methods of detection which are highly sensitive and can detect a single molecule in 1 milliliter. I've been always tempted to check it out with hopeopathic dilutions if this molecule is in there or not. Never had time to spare though. Actually, it would be nice to know if there is anything there at all. But to spend time and money on these expensive experiments, one has to know does this stuff really work like the manufacturers are claiming it does. And this is an open question.

The theory of the whole ordeal has been greatly advanced by Gurwitch in Russia in 1960s and I still remember visiting a conference in his memory in Moscow University. There was even a guy at our department who is still writing books and seriously studying the matters. He even suggested his own theory.

http://ns.ss.msu.ru/~nal/
http://www.biophoton.com/

My modest experience in this area has been mainly focused on two tries of measurement of biofield of a person and of an animal. I've used a very sensitive high resistance electrode which has been somewhat shielded but I don't think the shielding has been adequate. I've also tried a rabbit, two rats, five or six different mice, my boss, two other volunteers, and myself as a sources of biofield. Can't tell it worked reliably but it was not so bad indeed. Well, I was 22 or 23 back then and was just curious. Never had a chance to try again and probably never will.