Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 11-12-2008, 23:50   #1
Matrix
Administrator

Default Pitboss on web server

Is it possible to host a pitboss on my own website of straland.com? Or is that impossible? I guess it's not, because it runs on linux...

The site is hosted by Digitalus. Here are the details (for what it's worth):
"Unlimited alias adresses, unlimited subdomains, perl scripting, PHP scripting, CGI support (on request), SSI (Server Side Includes), POP3, IMAP4, APOP, FTP access, Frontpage extensions (on request), webmail, personal statistics, HTTPD logs, Java Runtime Environment, SSL 128-bit (optional), autoresponding and forwarding, webbased control panel, Flash en Shockwave support, Python 2.1, .htaccess"
Old 12-12-2008, 00:20   #2
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Couple of things:

I've tried to run Pitboss on my Linux box using Cedega but it didn't.

The Digitalus details don't mention Linux or I missed something. It pretty much looks like a straightforward host implementation.

Imho a Pitboss can run on any Windoze box that can run BtS. That potentially includes the CDZ server but 1) Can it run BtS? and 2) What would that mean for forum performance and the other stuff it is running?

As far as I can see Pitboss can't be run from straland.com.
Old 12-12-2008, 00:56   #3
Matrix
Administrator

As far as I know it has always used Linux, but it could've been changed over the years. In any case, the problem is of course having BtS on the server, which requires far too much space. Silly, because for the pitboss you don't need to install the whole game with it's sound and video files. (Not that I blame Firaxis for that; pitboss is only used by less than 1% of all civ-players.) I only have 600 MB at present.

So how about CDZ then?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:14   #4
Beam
c00l b33r

PP?
Old 13-12-2008, 23:49   #5
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam View Post
PP?
Well CDZ runs on a windows machine so that's ok . HD space shouldnt be a major issue I suppose, we have plenty of space as long as we install on the right partition. So that's another issue tackled. Only doubts I have is the processor speed/graph card. I dunno if running a pitboss game means the game actually has to run or if it runs without the GUI and just handles the moves. Also the installation process will be a challenge. We can't put a DVD in the net server so we need to RDesktop with local drives I suppose. That will need a decent upload speed to get 3.5GB up. Also we prolly need deodorant because we cant put a DVD in.

I;m not really worried about CDZ performance, it's currently the only serious site on this server and it doesn't really puts much strain on the server/database performance.

So we can give it a try during the holidays. Looking for volunteers with decent upload speed to get this thing tried out
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 05:25   #6
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

There is no need to have actual disk in the drive and hence, a deodorant. All is needed is a clean install of vanilla and BTS. Then, there is an issue of stability and ports. The ports got to be open and this might make server actually vulnerable since PB does not tolerate any type of limitations of the port traffic. We've thought about it at CFR and quickly abandoned the idea.
Old 14-12-2008, 18:04   #7
Beam
c00l b33r

I volunteer but will have little time during the holidays. Can do it during evenings however.
Old 14-12-2008, 23:54   #8
Beam
c00l b33r

A bit on the technical aspects. Graphical requirements are minimal as is for the CPU, I guess somewhere around 1GHz should be OK, probably lower but I never tested any lower. Memory should be plenty but since we're talking a server that shouldn't be a typical issue. I/O also should be sufficient but since it is a server directly hooked up up to the Internet that should be OK.

Last but not least the port settings and security. Iirc only one port needs to be open with this kind of install and that's not very risky. If the server supports opening a port app specific there should not be an issue.

I would need both RDP and FTP access to set things up. I had both once but not anymore.
Old 15-12-2008, 13:50   #9
Matrix
Administrator

The strain on CPU is not that big. Graphics don't matter at all! I had the pitboss running at the background - I used a separate windows account, so that I didn't have that freaking window in the taskbar all the time - and I could do all other stuff without notable slowdown, including other games with high requirements.

I'm willing to set it up with remote desktop connection, but I don't think you'd want to spread connection data to too many people, so if Beam would like to set it up and try it out, that would be great.
Old 15-12-2008, 19:12   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam View Post
... Iirc only one port needs to be open with this kind of install and that's not very risky. ...
I'm not so sure about that, there is some other p2p ID traffic going through ch80 at least in Win XP Pro, have no idea what is it in Server 2003 or some other OS. The traffic is not very clearly identified as the one belonging to BtS or Civ4 and sometimes can be blocked with FW or antivirus. Actually native windows FW is the only thing which can handle it correctly while two other commercials freeware FW versions did not let it through. Also, a couple of antivirus packages did not let it through either, it all depends on system configuration and OS. Again, this is all for XP pro.