Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 06-11-2005, 13:22   #21
Kemal

Cities cannot be disbanded once they are built. Only way to get rid of cities permanently is razing on capture, iirc.
Old 06-11-2005, 13:55   #22
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MarkstarHow this game could have been released (after internal testing, feedback from betatesters) is beyond me.
Is that a question? I have really no problems at all running the game. The problems do sound very familiar, initially I couldn't get battlefield2 to run stable. Apparently BF2 has some issues with nvidia cards, whereas civ4 has issues with ATI cards. Adding a lot of RAM and increasing the page file helped a lot as well for playing larger maps. Note that the minimum system reqs might be the absolute minimum for playing the tiniest, ugliest and slowest map possible.
It's impossible to test every combination of hardware. These days it's common practice to release something and then let the public betatest it again for some time. Compared to EA games Firaxis is really fast with new patches, if it is of any condolance.

On a more serious note, let's keep this thread for QUESTIONS.

P.S. Unable to disband cities sucks, I want to get rid of those tiny useless crappy cities that flipped to me!
Old 06-11-2005, 14:20   #23
DavidC

Once in Slavery civics, how do you whip cities ? Please !
That (translated) manual is totally unreadable...
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 14:47   #24
Shabbaman
Administrator

I haven't tried it yet, but I know that in the lower left of the city screen there are several rush options available.
Old 06-11-2005, 15:14   #25
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Not being able to disband a city is a serious problem imo. I suppose this is done to prevent some 'abusive' strategies but I think disallowing abondement as a while is a measure out of proportion.

Not really Q&A but some things I found out the hard way:
- irrigation spreads through farms but only when the connection to the fresh water source is intact. I could build a new farm next to an old one after disconnecting the original farm next to the river. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, for sure it is different than Civ 3.

- desert can't be irrigated. Damn annoying as well, especially when you cant disband cities. So no option to 'irrigate-jump' a hill or desert by building a temporary city.

- I experienced a lot of crashes in wonder sequences and battle zoom. Disabling the movies in the ini file and the battle zoom in the options worked wonders.

- The tech tree is confusing imo. Pottery needs the wheel, but there's no line between them, they're just positioned on the same height.

- When I read the civpedia about religion I thought that you can see all cities that follow the religions that you own the holy cities of. Apparently that only works for the religion that is your state religion and you own the holy city of as well.

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 15:24   #26
Kemal

As for the tech tree, don't forget that mandatory tech requirements are noted in the upper right corner of the tech they are required for, via a little tech icon. You always need those techs in the upper right corner to research that tech, whereas the lines, iirc, indicate that the tech the line comes from "leads to" a "new tech" (you only need to possess one tech of those that have an arrow leading to the "new tech" to research that new tech, not *all* the techs that have arrows pointing to this "new tech").
Old 06-11-2005, 15:50   #27
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DavidC

That (translated) manual is totally unreadable...
I think I'm entering the world of games-in-English users. Still, I'm surprised you got the game in French (manual and tech tree), or am I missing something ? You have Civ3 in English if I'm not mistaken.

It's funny, it seems I know the game better than some people here (at least on some features, like the required techs which made PP wonder about it), despite not having purchased it yet. I guess I have too much time reading the forums on my hand.
Old 06-11-2005, 15:55   #28
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I never read fora or manuals beforehand. I believe in learning by doing.

Also I believe that advisor screens like a tech tree should be made in a way they can be understood intuitively.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 16:29   #29
Socrates
Emperor

I don't believe in anything. It just occurs to me that you can learn the game by both playing it yourself and reading the forums or the manual. So I do both.
Old 06-11-2005, 16:33   #30
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

- irrigation spreads through farms but only when the connection to the fresh water source is intact. I could build a new farm next to an old one after disconnecting the original farm next to the river.
So, which one is it?
Quote:

- desert can't be irrigated. Damn annoying as well, especially when you cant disband cities. So no option to 'irrigate-jump' a hill or desert by building a temporary city.
That's just a matter of getting used to. Desert is now as useless as tundra is in both Civ3 and 4.
Quote:

- The tech tree is confusing imo. Pottery needs the wheel, but there's no line between them, they're just positioned on the same height.
I agree! There's a tech tree screenshot on CFC where they added the lines of alternative paths; they should've used that. The icons in the upper right corner are not distinctive enough.