Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 06-11-2003, 17:23   #1
Grille

Default C3C - language versions...

I dunno which version to purchase... I favour the US version, though.
The magic word 'patch release' says it all...

Mainly because it was earlier available in some shop over here (drool[][][]), I got the US Civ3 version and felt quite lucky to be able to use the latest patches MUCH earlier (German 1.29 patch had a delay of several months(!) IIRC).

My understanding is that it's possible to install Euro- or US-C3C on US Civ3, so there'd be no probs here. If the shops will really offer US C3C is of course another question (*makes a prayer!!*). I'm considering to order it from an on-line store if I don't find the US version in the shops until Saturday...

So what do you think? US or Euro version?
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 17:56   #2
Plux
King

How can you tell what version your original civ is? I bought here (Holland) in a local store, but I don't see any specific mentioning of the version on the box or cd. There are some sort of product codes, which on the box say CIVIL3PCGB/F (UK PC version?), but on the cd it says CIVIL3PCUS/A . Can anyone clarify? Of course from the patch perspective I'd go for the US-version as well.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 18:41   #3
Skyfish

I am pretty certain no shop will sell a US version of the game in Europe for a while.
Old 06-11-2003, 19:29   #4
Grille

@Plux: For Civ3, you got me there perhaps...
Question remains how to identify the version clearly then...
My understanding is that you could tell it from the box art (unless that did not change over time - not talking about special editions that were released later).
I *think* the UK Civ3 version has the same box art as other Euro-versions(?), while the US box looks differently...
This site is supposed to show the US version's box art:
http://www.civ3.de/www/content/index.php?cat=29
It says I could install Euro-English-C3C on US Civ3.German C3C box will have all language version in a bundle, but German installation will not work for US Civ3.

Not 100% sure if my assumptions are correct... UK posters could confirm/deny. Maybe the UK Civ3 CD (the content at least) is even the very same as on the US CD... (I assume 'US' patch 1.29 works for UK players since I did not spot a UK-only 1.29 patch?; version writings on the cd?).

Old 07-11-2003, 10:17   #5
Grille

atari.de says today is "release date" for Euro-C3C, some shops say 13.11 as publication/sell date...

An online store doesn't state any fixed date ('dunno') for the Euro version yet (WTF?), but has the imported US version for sale from 11.11. on (deliverance within ~2 days, usual shipping agreement), cost is 39,90 Euros plus shipping fee. Oh well, I think I'd give it a go if I won't spot Euro C3C tomorrow in any shop/get stupid answers about the selling date.

Btw, some guy from the UK sells a US copy on e-bay (.com IIRC), $36 last time I checked, auction ends in 7 days or so.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:21   #6
digger760
King

i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58   #7
anarres
anarchist butcher

I just found out the UK release date has been pushed back to the 14th (next Friday).
Old 07-11-2003, 13:08   #8
Plux
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though
I think so. According to Grille's explanation I have the euro vanilla civ (because of the box art, the cd says US), and I have a US-version of PTW, which---most of the time---plays fluently.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 13:29   #9
Skyfish

Quote:
quote:i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think so
I believe that its exactly the opposite !
That is why we always had to wait for the patches all the time. If you have a UK version of Civ3 then u can only use a UK version of PTW... and of Conquest !
Or else everytime a US patch was be available then everybody would have ínstalled it without problem...
Old 07-11-2003, 13:38   #10
Grille

yeah, Plux, wait...
I'm not sure if a Euro vanilla version works with US C3C... and if my vanilla version check assumption was right.
Just to clarify: civ3.de confirmed that the US C3C version and German C3C bundle (which has actually Euro-English, German, Spanish...language versions in the box) are at least somehow combatible with US vanilla civ.
If you have that US vanilla version, you must install Euro-English (despite of having a German or Spanish whatever version as well), but it will work. The opposite case, as Sky mentioned, is not explicitely confirmed!

So yes, I think it all comes down on identifying the vanilla version since I cannot confirm that US C3C will work with any vanilla version other than US [shrug].
Now I do not even know if the the Euro-English vanilla version really EXISTS, I suspect it's just the US version, content-wise (dunno about copy protection, though). Just guessing from the vanilla patches.

Btw, I would actually rate a gravur on the cd higher than boxart, but in my case, *everything* looks like the US vanilla version anyways.