Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 05-10-2008, 16:16   #101
IanDC
Chieftain

Default Russia

Catherine - Domination - 1675AD - 114563 - a couple of turns earlier but well down on score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Russia 1675.jpg (92.0 KB, 5 views)
IanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 17:58   #102
socralynnek

Sorry, the Colonization made me lose focus...but at some point I will submit a result here...at least before civ V arrives ;-)
Old 07-10-2008, 02:13   #103
Matrix
Administrator

I finally made a scoring system that satisfies me.
Things are a little complicated now: China is the only thing that connects Killer with the rest, through me. And Russia is the only thing that connects akots and Beam, through IanDC. Before now I didn't take these connections into account. I just looked at the average score for a civ and looked how much better or worse you played than that average. (Roughly speaking; it was a little bit more complicated, but still wrong.)

Now I look at how much better we all are against each other, first in direct 'confrontations' (i.e. both having played the same civ), then via other players (Killer and I played China, me and IanDC played others). Once that relation is set I can also calculate Killer's relation with akots (Killer -> me -> IanDC -> akots), while recalculating all other relationships as well via all others. After a few iterations this converts into a ranking.

And this makes much more sense. Akots played exceptionally well with Russia, but because that's the only civ he played we don't know whether it's akots skill or Russia's ease to play with. But because IanDC played so well with Russia too and played little above average with the other civs we can only assume, statistically, that Russia is an easy civ to play.

But I can also put it another way: akots only performed a little better than IanDC, while Darkness played an extra little better than IanDC. Therefore Darkness is still #1 and akots #2 now.

That'll all chance once I've played Russia and have a score comparable with Beam's. Than akots will jump to a height and Beam will get an adequate ranking score.

Oof, and now it's well after bed time.

P.S. I calculate using the square root of the scores, because they increase parabolically over time and it's a good enough assumption for me that this also applies for final scores.

Last edited by Matrix; 07-10-2008 at 02:16.
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58   #104
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

As I explained in Amersfoort, Russia offers enormous early potential: you can use chariots to kill several civs, and cripple even more.

To prove that I am currently playing them, and have conquered both Rome and Egypt for no losses, taking India's capital, pillaged the Malinese some (doing OK now) and the Mongols to the stone age (still not recovered in 500AD), and used the resutling GG for a monster city attack axeman, which took two towns off Sury. I lack the Great Wall (missed by 2 turns, Qin was extremely fast!), so I have to waste a lot of shields on barb defense.

If one is able to survive the economic problems resulting from keeping the conquered cities (I kept too many), then Russia can easily lead to triple the score of any other civ, I estimate.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:35   #105
Matrix
Administrator

Apparently it is. I'm quite positive though that I won't be able to got a score about 100,000 points. I got the feeling my Egyptian score is about as high as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
Just finished my first attempt, 34515 points as China No surprise - I did e.g. not know that tech trading is off, so I played a LOT of nonsense early on.
Could you tell me what victory type and finish date you had?
Old 07-10-2008, 13:08   #106
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Could you tell me what victory type and finish date you had?
uh, IIRC accidental domination somewhen in 18xx AD....

Egypt score: yes indeed Egypt allows extreme scores, but Russia basically guarantees that you win, and decisively so! Playing as Egypt you must be lucky - an early dogpile can really ruin your life because of the fairly low hammer count of the stating area. As Russia, you must work hard to fail!
Old 07-10-2008, 19:37   #107
Matrix
Administrator

You can't fail with Russia? What better way to figure that out than let me have a go...
Old 07-10-2008, 23:20   #108
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Dont be so modest Matrix
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:08   #109
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Oh, Killer, come on, it is just Noble level, there is no way to lose unless done on purpose or there is a severe malfunction of some vital organ.

Russia is quite a convenient choice while going for Domination. Creative trait guarantees smooth border expansion. Starting forests enable all early critical wonders if you do it right. Position is in the center and warring is faster from the center since you can go in multiple directions and reinforcements get to their goal more rapidly. There is also some last-touch forests in the tundra areas. Overall, yes, domination can be done smoothly but still essentially required cavalry although possible to do with cuirassiers.

Another interesting point might be trying with Aztec or Maya. That should also enable may be even a faster date but the score can be substantially lower unless everything is researched (Communism, Biology, Rifling, Military Tradition) before invading Europe/Africa.

It seems that grabbing wonders also can be accomplished, initial conquest phase (all America) can be quite fast as well. However, the game would be extremely tedious due to number of ship chains required to transport all troops and workers to irrigate. Also, Astronomy has to be researched very early. IMO, the conquest phase can be done with macemen/cats, it just would be extremely tedious and since Biology is needed for good score in any case, there is no point in denying cavalry here, it is not an expensive research path on Noble level even at this map size.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:20   #110
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
Oh, Killer, come on, it is just Noble level, there is no way to lose unless done on purpose or there is a severe malfunction of some vital organ.
'Just noble' means that getting dogpiled by Caesar (~30 Praetorians), Asoka (~50 elephants + support units) and Ghengis (~45 Keshik) can make you lose a culture win game.