Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 14-03-2005, 21:04   #1
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Default Do you skype?

IP-telephony is the new hot thing in Norway

I see that some companies have started charging for such services already, but I also see that Skype is a free client, and works pretty much like an instant messaging client - with possibility for conference call mode)

IMO the keyboard lacks the quality that person to person conversation has - in that a voice conveys moods etc in a much better way.

Under 1 hour ago, my girlfriend called from Mexico. It costs her 90NOK for 5 minutes (1euro=7-8 NOK). We didnt even manage to finish the conversation before the line was broken. And what a crappy line it was too (not surprising in Mexico probably)

It would be cool if Skype became a large actor in that market - especially if internet cafees started having microphones, sound cards and speakers on their pcs.

So, do you have any experience with internet based telephony? Whadda ya think? A good idea? Dangerous? Too good to be true?

edit: http://www.skype.com
Old 14-03-2005, 21:13   #2
Matrix
Administrator

I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm positive this sort of is the future. I mean, I can already talk to anyone in the world for free using MSN (except for the fact that you have to pay for having internet in the first place of course).
Old 14-03-2005, 21:50   #3
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

i use skype and I think it's brilliant. Several reasons:

- only voice over IP programm that handles my 'behind routers and firewall situation' for voice. MSN does a piss-poor job at this but several other programs also failed

- only programm that handles my 'behind routers and firewall situation' for file-transfer. MSN does a piss-poor job at this but several other programs also failed. I think this part is as good as the voice part!

- cheapest way to talk to my friends abroad, much more convenient than the typing.

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 22:40   #4
Plux
King

I used to VoIP to ring my (then) girlfriend when I was in Brazil some years ago. Ritstele.com the site was called, and I could call her on her normal phone line for free. Already worked neat, not the telephone line quality but very understandable. Only thing was that the line was cut off for 30 secs every five minutes to allow me to look at some ads, but that was a small fee to pay for a great service. They discontinued the free service a while later though.

I started experimenting with Skype a year and a half ago and already then it was good. Also used it when I was in the Amazon area to call a friend in Holland, and it worked great! Excellent quality over a poor satellite internet connection!

In South America VoIP is THE hot thing. In Guyana there were already quite a few phone houses that ran their lines over internet and charged low rates. I think ca 25% of commercial public phone traffic towards abroad is going over VoIP there. I stayed there with a guy who provided these phone houses with internet lines and VoIP services and he was doing very well for himself. I foresee that in five years from now he will be in the Top Ten Forbes list of that country. Good stuff
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 00:46   #5
Schip

OK Skype is IT! Works great, never failed on me.

When I was in Mexico and my ex-GF (a year later) in Canada we used a second carrier (Tele2 and ???). They buy bulk minutes from KPN so they can offer you very very low rates. Calling to Mexico cost €0,02 a minute and 24hours calling to canada cost me €12,- . You can find them on the internet, don't know which are available in Norway though. I didn't have any problems with the Mexican telecommunications, but I never used a public phone. Remember with the carriers it is you calling here and it will take some time to set up. OTOH you can sometimes just call a prefix and it is charges on your credit card. Good luck!
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 02:04   #6
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

No such problem in US. I'm calling Moscow from Texas by local phone number calling card at 0.8 cents/minute, no connection fee, service excellent. Other major European cities is the same (UK is 1.3 cents/minute) as well as China. A $10 card lasts well for a month or sometimes more. But skype rates are very competitive indeed.
Old 15-03-2005, 15:32   #7

I have Skype, don't use it too much though
Ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 16:10   #8
digger760
King

What is the delay like on these services. I can't stand any echo's or delays when talking to people on the phone!
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 16:27   #9
Pastorius
Custard used tile

My friend said it starts out fine, but after a while up to a few seconds. He spent 1/2 hour testing it, and overall, that wasnt bad...