Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Dr Alimentado's forum
Home

Old 01-09-2003, 17:59   #31
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

I personally do NOT agree that Trespass Is War in PBEM.
I consider it an act of war when you do it to me
then go ahead and kick me out or declare war
Old 01-09-2003, 21:52   #32
DrAlimentado

here is my preperation for war next turn:

raze and burn

seville is the only way he can reach me and pour through, I have a LOT of infantry/arty there. I also have 20+ inf on the RR mountain behind it, to prevent the rails and radar being bombarded off it.

My 70+ tanks are waiting near salamanca for any needed counter-punch.

If he hits I should be able to hit back harder. If this war stalls I will win in the long run I reckon, commercial is powerful at this stage of the game and I have tons more land than anarres
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:11   #33
Ehecatl Atzin
Part-timer

Do you know if he plans to attack via land or sea?
Ehecatl Atzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:13   #34
Aggie
Emperor

Via sea is only a good idea with marines, otherwise the troops are cannonfodder with rails.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:42   #35
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Dr A, looks good to me: you do weaken your cities but you keep him from parking troops on mountains to hop on the next turn....
Old 02-09-2003, 15:50   #36
DrAlimentado

Anarres has no boats whatsoever so I know he can only attack by land. Amphibious is also not researched yet (although anarres could be researching it - unlikely imo - china could also be researching it but as yet no-one has.) Besides as Aggie says rails make attacking a beachhead very easy. Also the second anarres starts building transports I build destroyers It is a long way round for either of us to do any sea landings too, I'll attach the minimap so you can see what I mean.

The 'raze and burn' method I have used does limit my own options for attack, but having failed to forest the border I think it was the sensible option (hmm... yes I should have forested it in hindsight, I am very inexperienced at modern or late industrial warfare even in solo play and it shows!)
The cities of mine I have weakened are not core so I'm not too worried about the marginal loss in productivity - it amounts to a few gpt lost in scientists/taxmen at most.

The onus is now on anarres to attack as I have the lead in land and I *think* in research/productivity. Anarres also seems to think that if we sit it out I will win (although this could be a bluff, who knows...) I am still looking at it trying to think what I would do in anarres position, no doubt he will investigate seville and see the 50+ infantry there. Hmm... I can't wait to get the turn back!! Maybe the game will be decided in the next few turns...

Old 03-09-2003, 15:44   #37
DrAlimentado

turn 241 - anarres battle report (1st turn of war)

anarres says:
battle report
anarres says:

Destroy Barracks, Walls, Temple
Kill 5 citizens
Take 1HP from Inf x10
Take 2HP from Inf x5
33 misses

Attack Vet Infs with Tanks:

11 tanks retreat
8 tanks lost
Kill 14 Inf
anarres says:
hehe, now there is a Cav army, a single tank kills it. [ ]

Now we are on to the 2/3HP Regular/Vet Inf:

2 tanks retreat
2 tanks lost
Kill 17 Inf
anarres says:
Attack with elite tanks (promoted this turn):

2 tanks lost
6 tanks retreat
Kill 29 Inf

Get a leader. [ ]
anarres says:
so a total of 60 inf killed, i lost 12 tanks

turn 241 - my turn:

Hmm... ok, I was stupid. I should either have razed seville and just defended the mountain or put more vet infantry in seville. I didnt think through anarres bombarding the walls away and getting only a fortified bonus for my defenders - the loss of 60 infantry (a lot conscripts, but still) is a bitter pill to swallow! Oh well, at least he couldnt take the city and pour through, all is not lost.

Anarres has over 60 infantry on the mountain defending his tanks, I do some calcs and agonisingly decide that to attack him (even with my now 90-strong tanks) is suicide! However if its impossible for me it is also impossible for him, so...
I move a cav 1 square in to mongol territory to raze a radar tower and allow me to see what goes on with my arty bombardment. Move my 40 odd arty onto the mount and bombard Baaran-Urt:

1 hp reductions: 5
2 hp reductions: 3
Pop reduction: 10
Buildings destroyed:
Harbour
Market
Library
Bank
University
Factory
Misses: 20

I then move all the infantry I can spare onto the mount, some 40 odd vets and some conscripts. Hopefully on a mountain with fort they will hold.
I move my cav back and abandon Seville - then bombard the rails and road off the tile. Now the mount is the only way to advance, unfortunately the border has changed (another oversight!) so the mount is in anarres territory, grrr...

And now the killer... I go to draft some conscript infantry from my cities. Now all my cities are extremely happy, I have 8 luxes, no WW (it has been 30+ turns since I was at war) and some war-happiness I think from anarres declaring on me. The instant I draft my empire descends into 50-70% WW WTF!!! This is clearly not right , I think we have a bug... this is so fucking stupid I can't believe it. UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!!!! I am really really mad about this.

Hopefully we can find a way round this bug, because I am fucked by a crippling lux slider now.

Old 03-09-2003, 16:08   #38
DrAlimentado

well some people are telling me that this is just the way WW works... we'll see.
Old 03-09-2003, 18:38   #39
Skyfish

I'd like to run some tests about this WarWeariness issue actually would it be a problem for you to send me the save ?
do you know the admin password ?
Old 03-09-2003, 18:48   #40
Plux
King

Isn't it so that every bit of ww is 'remembered' for 20 turns?? So if you go back to war within this period, then ww is still active to some extent?
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote