Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 11-03-2004, 12:53   #1
Socrates
Emperor

Default krys's questions about Civ3

Hi folks ! Sorry I have several questions about C3C (not only the expansion), and I might have more in the future, so I chose to start a thread for all my questions altogether, so as not to open several little topics... Please answer if you're sure only, and as of C3C 1.15b. Here it goes.

1. I have seen somewhere a page where the tourism income from wonders is clearly explained (number of coins after that number of turns/years), but can't find it anymore ; anyone knows this ? Also, how is it implemented in the gold revenue of the city/civ ?

2. In multi (online or PBEM), do human players suffer war weariness (and/or enjoy war happiness) from a state of war with another human player ? Being in Republic vs your foe in Monarchy might be really unfair... (hehehe for Skyfish)

3. Can I find somewhere (or can someone explain) how bombardment very precisely works in the game ? Like, if I use a dromon against a spearman fortified inside a 7-size city on hill ? What are my odds of taking him 1 hp ? 2 hp ? none ? (hehehe for Killer, have you seen a 7-size city in our game ??? me : nope)

More questions as they come ! Thanks all.
Old 11-03-2004, 13:13   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

1. it's in the civilopedia. Something like 2 commerce after thousand years, 3 commerce after 1500...
2. erm, "phoney war"? I don't know.
3. hm. EDIT: check this thread It's not about c3c though, I believe bombardment is "revamped".
Old 11-03-2004, 13:29   #3
Socrates
Emperor

Thanks.

1. I don't have it in my Civilopedia in French, it just says what tourism is about and lists wonders that apply to this. And no "next" button...

2. No, not necessarily phoney war, though it's a case. Any state of war between 2 human players (or more), state of war as the game understands it (red line in F4 !). So ?

3. OK, I'll check this thread. But if bombardment has been revamped, I might lose my time...

Now, more questions ! Ahem...

4. The Great Wall has been changed. It gives every little town on the continent a wall : OK. It is said to "double the effects of existing walls" (translating...) ; so : does it mean only pre-GW walls have a 100% defensive bonus, or all walls (built and gifted) ? If a medium city falls back to a little town size, does it get a free wall (if not already one in there) ? With 100% bonus ? Also, it doubles the strenght against barbarians : attack and defense ? Cuz level bonus against barbs only apply to attack, me thinks (tell I'm wrong if I am !).

5. Do you get reputation hit if you break a deal against a human player (and everything along with that) ?
Old 11-03-2004, 13:46   #4
anarres
anarchist butcher

1: If no-one else posts the Civilopedia pic by tonight I will when I get home. You go from 2 gpt at 1000 years up to 10 gpt at 2000 years IIRC, but the steps up to each next level are not linear.

2: Yes, WW is in PBEM like SP games. See my game vs DrAlimentado for a good example.

3: IIRC bombardment is essentially the same. The 'bombard' value acts like a normal attack value, and for each 'rate of fire' you get 1 free attack at using the 'bombard' strength. E.g. 'bombard' = 8, 'rate of fire' = 2 means you get 2 attacks of strength 8 when you bombard. There are set defense values for cities (pop), improvements, etc, and it uses the normal defense values against normal units.

4: The GW gives free walls in all towns (<7). Since a city has no affect from walls it is irrelevant whether they have them or not. All new towns and ones that go from 7 -> 6 will gain the walls. The +100% bonus applies to all walls (i.e. to all towns). This is kinda weird because it means a town has more defense than a city. Fuck knows about barbs, lets face it - it's not really going to change a game.

5: I believe so yes, but most people here don't break human-human deals, so it's hard to know for sure.
Old 11-03-2004, 16:10   #5
Socrates
Emperor

1. OK, thanks to the guy who will post a pic of that.

2. Somehow the page for your DrA game doesn't open fully ? Might just tell what was the deal then ? So, if I stick with Republic and suffer a constant war against an evil player who stays in Monarchy, I might be forced to revolt ?

3. Thanks, that's a beginning to cope with. I'll try to search for further data later, unless someone has a better link than Shabbaman's one ?

4. Ok for the Wall, so yes, towns are then better protected than cities, which is crazy as for gameplay, but maybe it makes some sense in RL ??? BTW I've always had a problem with walls disappearing above size 7, this, it makes no sense at all... Instead, I would give a defensive bonus for cities which have built walls, and no walls would mean no bonus (same for metros). Barbs aren't that important, but it was part of the GW, so I just asked. It might be interesting anyway, as sometimes some razing occurs at this time (late iron age), and barbs could reappear, threatening some cities... And for mods it could be interesting to know that too.

5. Hard to know, I agree. Anyway, human-human deals are crazy.
Old 11-03-2004, 16:39   #6
anarres
anarchist butcher

2: Meh, can't explain that. It was one of my most fun games to lose, a real shame you can't see it. IIRC only a few PBEMs have made it all the way to nukes, and none have had someone drop out of a representative government because of WW before or since.
Old 11-03-2004, 16:40   #7
Markstar
King

About 2.) (not that I have a qualified opinion on that): But isn't that how it should be and/or even realistic?
War weariness takes longer if you have not started the war so it doesn't affect you THAT much (o.k., later on that doesn't make a difference anymore).
Yes, the other player forces his gameplay on you, but imho that is the risk of being a republic/democracy just as it is in real life.

Not that this helped, but I thought I throw in my 2 cents.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 16:46   #8
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

BTW I've always had a problem with walls disappearing above size 7, this, it makes no sense at all...
Makes perfect sense to me, look inside any major city and you will find either the remains of the old city wall (which offers no protection, its IN the city) or pubs called the City Wall which would have been where the walls were when the town was smaller...

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 16:57   #9
col
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

12. Somehow the page for your DrA game doesn't open fully ? Might just tell what was the deal then ? So, if I stick with Republic and suffer a constant war against an evil player who stays in Monarchy, I might be forced to revolt ?
I tried to hit Erikk with ww in our game. He was in Republic for most of the game. I stayed in Monarchy and declared war as soon as I got there and refused to make peace.

Result - I dropped behind in tech and got splatted by cav+infantry while I only had muskets, riders and a few cavs expensively upgraded..

ww just didnt kick in as much or as early as I'd hoped. Baldrick needs a new cunning plan.
Old 11-03-2004, 17:06   #10
anarres
anarchist butcher

If you declare war you then have to get 60 WWP to inflict level 1 WW. That isn't trivial.

The reason I got WW inflicted on DrA was because I did 120 WWP damage in 1 turn with arty and tanks. This is IMO the biggest failing with WW - in the early game WW is much harder to inflict because losses on both sides is much smaler. In the Moern age it is much easier.