Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 18-09-2004, 17:28   #1
Socrates
Emperor

Default Railroad Tycoon III

Not that I'm getting bored with Civ3, but it's been a long time since I lastly really played another game. I tried Age of Mythology 2 years ago, I liked it but I really suck at RTS's. Apart from that I don't play other games ; I played a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic 3, but the #4 didn't appeal to me, I don't know why.

So I remembered the good days when I was playing Railroad Tycoon II. I feel like I want to play another game, and the #3 seems a good deal for me. The other day I went to the PC store, and searched for the game and an expansion pack I believe was out. I didn't find the exp pack, for the simple reason that it was recently released as a FREE download !! Would Firaxis do the same with Civ ? So now I'm considering buying RT3 and do some "tchou tchou" when I get bored. Anyone has this game ?

As for RTS's, Rise of Nations was one game I was considering, but I don't know if it's really cool to play. Any feedback ?
Old 18-09-2004, 20:18   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

RT 2 were never good days to me. Wake me up when they got a new version of Transport Tycoon. Oh, those were the days...

Did anyone see the screenies for Pirates 2 yet? Yum!
Old 19-09-2004, 23:08   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

New version of Transport Tycoon is Locomotion. Done by Chris Sawyer (of course) and out soon.
Old 20-09-2004, 09:26   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

Sounds good. Thanks for the tip Paalikles.
Old 20-09-2004, 10:54   #5
digger760
King

There is also one called transport giant...I tried the demo..i am undecided if i like it or not, might wait and see if locomotion is better.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 11:09   #6
col
King

I played RRT1 a lot but found 2 and 3 disappointing. I've gone back to RRT1 and am playing it again!

I've also rediscovered the joys of Total Annihilation. There are so many great new TA maps and third party units that the game is still fresh and definitely still the best RTS game around IMO. Rumours of TA2 abound.
Old 20-09-2004, 11:42   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

I've tried TA kingdoms (for a mere 2 euros or so), but compared to TA that was total crap. Third party units? Where could I find those? If it looks any good, I might reinstall it. It's the only RTS that I actually liked playing multiplayer with (sprawling mine-bots over the whole map while playing with respawn is pure evil... respawned players won't last long for sure).

Sorry for the thread jacking krys
Old 20-09-2004, 12:11   #8
digger760
King

I have Rise of Nations...just another RTS if you want my opinion..i prefer the slow planned approach of turn based civ
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 13:05   #9
Socrates
Emperor

No problem, Shabba Kim-Jon-Il ! In fact I should have called this thread "Other games thread" but oh well. Carry on the discussion !!

col, could you explain a little further why RT1 was good (apart from being designed by Sid our master), and RT2 and RT3 aren't ? I played RT2 a lot and was happy with it, though it could surely be improved, and RT3 was acclaimed by critics, and its expansion pack is free !

About Rise of Nations, why is it just another RTS ? Don't the special features (science, etc...) make it better (but still a RTS) ?

I don't know about games like Transport Tycoon or Giant or... Are they any good or are they just 2nd or 3rd game choices ?
Old 20-09-2004, 13:42   #10
Shabbaman
Administrator

Transport Tycoon is like the "real" Railroad Tycoon 2, released a few years (like, 2 or so) after the original RT. In addition to trains, you also get to use cars, airplanes and ships.
IIRC there's barely any real difference between RT1 and RT2 besides new graphics. Oh, yes, the stations have more functions I believe.

BTW, that free expansion pack, is that "a new millennium"? I paid for that, once (also, a mere euro or so).