Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SG archive > Civ4 SGOTM 1
Home

Old 15-05-2006, 14:12   #71
Shabbaman
Administrator

1 looks good, but we can only settle there (and grab the cow) as long as the russian borders haven't expanded, can't we?

If we go for 4 and 1 we grab more tiles, that's good. Personally I'd go for a city closer to the copper than for samson's option of settling north near the cows and chopping a 3rd settler.

btw, the orange blub could be the expanded border of Moscow, couldn't it?. That means it won't expand soon, but we could expect a settler soon...
Old 15-05-2006, 14:16   #72
socralynnek

if we really want to make sure to get copper there, we'd have to put a city close to it with our 2nd settler, but you are right samson, we'd have problems getting a 3rd one fast.

I like spot 1, cause of the channel it provides. And it steals cow from Cathy, maybe we can even trade it with her then.

I also vote for CS slingshot with Oracle. And for founding Confucianism.

I can't play until tomorrow in the evening. If anyone of the other swapped players (bedhead, barbu) wants to play first or if we want to start with the first player again, then it's ok for me.
Old 15-05-2006, 14:22   #73
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:To loose the copper Cathy would have to put a city north of her pressent one, or that one must expand its borders twice.
The first option concerns most. Expansion twice would require 75 turns just on creative culture.

A settler is 150 on epic. Which means 90 from forests and 60 / 7 is about 9-10 turns at best. Building with just a pasture cow would be 150 / 7 = 22 turns. So eliminating the risks means expansion is delayed by about 12 turns plus some movement. I am not experienced enough yet to make a rock-solid judgement here.

Like Samson suggested it is a good idea imo to have a seperate thread for city placement.
Old 15-05-2006, 14:38   #74
digger760
King

Excuse me ignorance, but what is the CS Slingshot?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 14:44   #75
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Excuse me ignorance, but what is the CS Slingshot?
Essentially completing the Oracle (1 free tech) just after researching Code of Laws. The free tech is Civil Service (hence the name) which allows the Bureaucracy civiv (+50% hammer and commerce in the cap). It also allows spread of irrigation and is one of the requirements for Maceman. Last but not least it is expensive so ideal as a free tech. Compare it with the Phil / Rep slingshot in III. It usually comes with Confusianism from CoL and gp points from the Oracle can be used for a gp to build the Conf. special building.
Old 15-05-2006, 14:50   #76
Samson
Warlord

If people want me to I could play at 5 pm BST today. Let me know.

I will concede that the risk of not getting copper is worth a slow 3rd settler. We can contiue building another in Thebes I guess. We only have 2 improved tiles ATM anyway.

I think the CS slingshot is a bit of a risk at Monarch unless we totally prioritize it, ie. Do not build too many cites, get loads of cottages around most cities, do not go to war. I think we have a reasnoble starting location for that, but I normally play to expand at all costs. I think we could get CoL easily from the oricle.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 14:53   #77
grahamiam
Emperor

I'm fine with spot 1, but we'll need some units to back it up as we'll be sparking border tension with Cathy.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 15:26   #78
Samson
Warlord

Do you think we need units immidiatly? I would risk it for a few turns if we want this city with the next settler.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 15:37   #79
socralynnek

I don't think Cathy will attack us immediately, but we have to be careful esp. if we have a different religion a little later.
Old 15-05-2006, 15:40   #80
grahamiam
Emperor

I wouldn't leave it empty. Probably the current warrior in the W can pull MP duty for now.

Maybe build a second warrior in that city while waiting for the cow and copper to be improved before going for another settler there? Cow will give us 4f, 2h, while the copper will give us 2f, 4h, so at size 2, we will have 4 surplus food + <s>6 h</s> 7h, so we can build settlers in 15 turns.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote