Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 09-01-2006, 19:58   #21
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760
So what type of city spacing do people think is best?
I space my cities never closer than 4 tiles, if I can help it, and never further than 5.

Aside from that I prefer to have a very good and long look a tthe lay of the land. Res (food bonues etc) play a much larger role for city growth than one might at first assume - remember that e.g. there is no more production cutoff on completion. 1 more hammer suddenly can become a LOT!
Thus, I go by best use of land, even if that sometimes includes a 4 tile overlap between cities or a wasted space between them

Also, one thing to remember is that if, e.g., you build Stonehenge, then your borders will expand fast and for free. Grabbing horses in the 9 of a new city suddenly may not be encessary. If, OTOH, you have to rely on building culture buildings to get to a res, then slapping them right next to them is more important.
Old 10-01-2006, 23:10   #22
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

New question

How about cottages, when start building them and what tiles are best for them? Last but not least are they a valid countermeasure against increasing maintenance in an expanding empire?
Usually, I am very strong in religions. Thus, my money comes from religious tribute, not cottages.

Also, my towns tend to be quite happy and healthy, so they can grow big. For that, I need food, so grasslands often get farmed.

Cottages go to what's left. Floodplains often do get them, except for the 1st fllodplain a city uses - that one's usually farmed.
The irony.

So far, I have unfortunately not been able to finetune either cottage based income or religion based income. Meaning that I ve gone with a mix of the two

Cottages come early if I am nonspiritual, and somewhat later if I am spiritual. Of the few games I ve played, I ve had my 2nd or 3rd worker almost exclusively on cottages

Cottages on plains mainly in my case. Farm on grass, and farm/cottage on floodplain.