Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 08-01-2006, 23:45   #11
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

New question

How about cottages, when start building them and what tiles are best for them? Last but not least are they a valid countermeasure against increasing maintenance in an expanding empire?
Old 08-01-2006, 23:56   #12
grs
The Nameless One

Grassland is cottageland for me. Especially if they are on a river and even more if I am financial. Once they are towns and you have emancipation they grow quite powerfull. Besides religion in specific cases like matrix mentioned in his thread they are inho the best source of income.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:04   #13
Matrix
Administrator

I agree with grs. One big difference with Civ3 is that roads don't give commerce anymore, so you specifically have to build cottages. And a 4$ town is quite heavy; and at the latest it even has 7 commerce and 1 production!

Besides, often you can't build anything else besides cottages. Later on you could build farms and workshops, but that's late industrial/early modern age and by then all cottages have become towns anyway. When there are lots of rivers and lakes you have the option of building workshops, farms and watermills earlier. I guess you then have to make sure a city has a reasonable production (i.e. at least about 8 base production) and make the rest of the tiles cottages.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:51   #14
Melifluous
Administrator

I dont often bother with cottages, seems like a tile wasted, could be doing hammers or food if you ask me.

I normally beeline for currency straight after alphabet and then go back for Code of Laws.

Markets and Grocers with Courthouses always seems enough for me.

It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:50   #15
Darkness

I often build cottages on flood plains. These already have three food, so using them makes me grow fast, and a cottage on them will grow to a town quite quickly (because I'm using the tile all the time to grow fast)...
Old 09-01-2006, 09:56   #16
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

So, to get things started: On a (small) continents map, what do you do when you find yourself alone with a whole continent?
Priority 1: meet the fockers!

--> I try to grab a religion, but do not go for several (as I normally would).
--> I research naval techs until I am able to meet AIs.
--> ships take missionaries along; spreading my religion into AI towns gives me a lot of info very fast.

Priority 2: secure the coast!

--> I try to settle the entire coastline before I go for the interior. THen, denying 'Open borders' keeps the AI from founding annoying cities on my land. Obviously, grabbing important res (copper for defence, luxuries of all kinds) modifies my settling somewhat.

Priority 3: grab enough land!

8 cities are a minimum, thus if my home doesn't allow them I ship settlers off to other islands.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:02   #17
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

New question

How about cottages, when start building them and what tiles are best for them? Last but not least are they a valid countermeasure against increasing maintenance in an expanding empire?
Usually, I am very strong in religions. Thus, my money comes from religious tribute, not cottages.

Also, my towns tend to be quite happy and healthy, so they can grow big. For that, I need food, so grasslands often get farmed.

Cottages go to what's left. Floodplains often do get them, except for the 1st fllodplain a city uses - that one's usually farmed.
Old 09-01-2006, 13:22   #18
Tubby Rower

I've played at least one game where almost every tile had a cottage. That was a bit overkill but the modern techs did come rolling in. I usually build cottages on 50% of the grass and near 100% of the flood plains. The grassland cottages are usually built as a forest is chopped.

the only time that I don't cottage a fp is when there is a lack of food for that city.
Old 09-01-2006, 16:20   #19
digger760
King

I still hav'nt finished my first game..getting close though to either space ship or histogram win. I have noticed that i have not been able to work all the 21 tiles around the cities, i just can't seem to get the growth rate. Around 20 has been my largest city. So what type of city spacing do people think is best?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 19:09   #20
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

So what type of city spacing do people think is best?

3.62*KB
In other words: get as many squares as possible with the least amount of cities. That is, if there would be a isotropic planet.

Exactly like the model of Christoffer, if that makes sense to any of you.