Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 17-07-2004, 21:06   #1
Kingreno

Default Awaaaay for 5 weeks

Yeah!

Me and My girlfriend will travel to India this Monday the 19th of Juli and will stay there for almost 5 weeks!

We have prepared quite well actually and I hope I will bring back some very nice memories and pictures. For those of you who are interested, I inserted a map with the route we intend to take on it. Since the only pre-arranged thingie are the planetickets we may end up taking some detours but this is the "red line".

121.19KB

We arrive in New Delhi and will attempt to get accustomed to Indian habits there. Delhi has some magnificent museums and Bazaars as well as the dominating Red Fortress. Delhi is also the fastest growing and most poluted city in this part of the world...
After Delhi we will hop off a train in Agra, home of the Taj Mahal and probably the worst place for tourists, as even the most hardy of travelers get scammed there. "Agra-fobia" is a word in India; we will stay there not too long.
After this, we will head for the Pink city of Jaipur. One of the most magnificent cities in India, it's Pink Fortress should be dazzling.
Here we will see what we do, we will have some time and depending on wheather and other things we will get to Udaipur (the romantic city) or take up some time in the countryside.
Jaisalmer is in the Thar desert, it is very touristy so we will have to see whether it is not too bad there. We want to take at least two days for a camelsafari there, which indeed may be on every visitors' book but rumors are all very positive about it.
After this and the soaring heat of another desertpearl, Bikaner, we will look for the Cooling effects of the Himalaya in Kashmir! In Manali we will take the mountainroute to Leh. This route is only open 3 months per year and has some of the highest mountain passes in the world, with the highest at 5200 meters, about 16k Feet. The safety situation is according to the Government here not optimal but it is acceptable. Leh ( and the road to it ) are far away from the Pakistani border, as it is in the southeast of Kashmir.
In this relatively "off the road" part of the world there are many Tibettan refugees who escaped from Chinese "occupation". It is also one off the quieter parts of india, populationwise.

That is it, I will post the stories when I get back! In the meantime have some great Holidays everyone and Kick some serious ass in the ISDG. When I get back I will try to get more involved!

Old 17-07-2004, 21:19   #2
Banzai

Wow! That looks great!
Take care and have a lot of fun!

Banzai!

Old 17-07-2004, 21:41   #3
Aggie
Emperor

Have fun! What happened with Sri Lanka on that map?
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 20:05   #4
ERIKK

Hehe, been there last year!

I have visited the "desertpearl Bikaner", Agra and Jaipur. We went east from there on towards
varanasi and then north to Nepal.

The Jaipur forts rule, the architecture in Agra is wunderbar, only Bikaner was not that cool.
In Bikaner the touts were horrific. Be aware, these guys follow you everywhere!!!

If you want to hear more on those towns I can email you my logs. I wont spoil anymore as you
might want to explore everything yourself, like a good civ player!

One more tip on Bikaner: watch out for the swamp!
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 20:29   #5
anarres
anarchist butcher

I went to India for 3 weeks, and what caught me by suprise was how big it really is! At least you get to go by plane between area, because without that it would probably take you 5 weeks to travel the red line.

You are brave for going to Kashmir, it's meant to be fairly dangerous for tourists! []
Old 29-07-2004, 08:03   #6
Kingreno

From India!

Hi all,

India is truely amazing. We arrived in Delhi in the middle of the night and the hotel we selected and emailed arranged for a pick up at the airport. A very old car brought us to the center of huge Delhi, going through streets that were literaly lined with sleeping people on the sidewalks. These homeless "having only what they wear" were an impressive sight. A bit saddening though. The Hotel was good but the polution terrible, there are no litterboxes anywhere and the sewers are often open...Also we got to know the worst part of India quickly, being commission. Everyone wants to talk in Delhi but we met no-one who did not have a commercial drive behind the talking. We ended up in wrong offices/shops/restaurants a lot. After three days we could not wait to get out of it, only the Ghandi museum and memorial were much worth it. I had some laughs when I thought of this guy and the guy in civ3 (the backstabber #1)
We went by train to Jaipur, skipping Agra for terrible wheather and thus no sun on the Taj, we may do it at the end of the trip. In Jaipur We both got very ill. I especially spent 3 days on tyhe room, and then mainly the little room in the room.. We went to a doctor after it would not stop with our own medicine and I was diagnosed (very proffesional!) with an infection in my stomach and one in the belly. I am now slowly getting better on anti-biotics! I only went to the fort in Jaipur so I missed most highlights...
We took the nighttrain to Udaipur, having lost 3 precious days in ill-ness. Udaipur is breathtaking. It is small and very friendly and the palaces are amazing. The Hotel is brilliant as we have a palaceview and rooftop restaurant. It is also said to be the most romantic city, which is why I spend some time in this cybercafe .
I hope you all are doing okay, be back in 3 weeks!
Old 29-07-2004, 10:08   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

It is also said to be the most romantic city, which is why I spend some time in this cybercafe

Getting ill abroad is never a good thing. If you both got ill it was probably something with the food, wasn't it? Not. Good. Have fun! (I doubt if you read this, but oh well..)
Old 29-07-2004, 11:41   #8
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

One positive side to being ill at the beginning, you'll probably be ok the rest of the holiday. Have fun and keep healthy (both of you!)

Cya in a few weeks!
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 19:44   #9
ERIKK

Darn, I guess you missed Amber Fort/Palace outside Jaipur...
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 00:50   #10
anarres
anarchist butcher

Wow, it sounds like an amazing time!