Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 03-11-2006, 09:30   #11
Kemal

I joined a TSP-release league yesterday, and the cards I got weren't too shabby I think. My rares and timeshifted cards are:

- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Walk the Aeons
- Spectral Force
- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
- Ancestral Vision

- Spike Feeder
- Lord of Atlantis
- Cockatrice
- Wildfire Emissary
- Zhalfirin Commander

I've played one match so far, winning 2-1 (and costing me about 1 hour of playing time as apparently everyone needs to read all cards and what they do ).

Anyone else already joined? Happy with the new cards?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:14   #12
Shabbaman
Administrator

Ooh, spike feeder, one of my favorites! The wildfire emissary should be very good in limited. With the ancestral vision and the jaya ballard you've probably earned your entry fee. I've never had that pleasure... I'm sorry to say this, but you're a lucky bastard. You're playing something with red I assume?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:34   #13
Kemal

Yep, UGR atm... though I'm wondering whether I should include B instead of G as I have (besides Ballard) my only 2 burn cards in that colour. Then again, the Spectral Force is such a bomb at 3GG that it wins games on its own, and my support cards in both colours are about the same...

Btw, Ancestral vision does make you wonder about what it would be like to be fortunate enough to play with the original... even with suspend 4 this card rocks big time, a very nice treat to have in your opening hand.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:37   #14
Shabbaman
Administrator

Ancestral recall isn't a fun card to play with. The whole vintage/type I format is based on playing ancestrall recall and then replaying it with yawgmoth's will. It doesn't win you games, it's just insanely br0ken. Which eventually will win you the game. Vintage is a very skill intensive format, but the average game lasts four turns. Pretty boring.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:48   #15
Kemal

Agreed, I'm not ever venturing in Vintage territory anyway, since besides boring it is also extremely expensive.

But let me rephrase: Ancestral vision does make you wonder about what it would be like for a casual player to be fortunate enough to play with the original... even with suspend 4 this card rocks big time, a very nice treat to have in your opening hand.

Better?
Old 03-11-2006, 14:29   #16
Shabbaman
Administrator

Not really.

If you're wondering how nice it would be to draw three cards for a single blue mana, you're probably not a casual player []
Old 04-11-2006, 00:02   #17
Kemal

Meh, I ended 4-1 in the league thanks to some incredible suspend/empty the warrens deck I ran into that twice ended me in 5 turns. Just my luck to draw such a player for my real games.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06   #18
Shabbaman
Administrator

Still a pretty respectable finish!
Old 06-11-2006, 20:32   #19
Kemal

Having played a few days with TSP in the league, I just wanted to say that IMvHO, this set totally sucks for limited play.

The playfield is totally dominated by bombs that are all over the place, often it being a matter of who draws his bomb first, or who got the better bombs from his starting packs. Cards like Draining Whelk, Storm Bind, Ballard etc, but even on a more common level errant ephemeron and the very few decent removal spells that are available mean that the playfield is just as variable as it will ever get.

A 4/4 flyer with haste on turn 5 needs good removal, but if you don't have it your game is over, since there isn't a suitable blocker in the entire set to stand up against these guys, who are common. To put it short, my bombs allowed me to get a 4-1 win in the first 5, I now have a spell of 0-8 with the *exact* same deck.

I'm back to the RGD leagues, this isn't my idea of a fun environment anymore.