Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Paradox forum > General Discussion
Home

Old 15-12-2015, 14:03   #11
Matrix
Administrator

I got my brother (Nitro, if anyone recalls) hooked on this game as well.

He started as Sweden on this game. Easy difficulty, not ironmode. But still impressive how far he got!
Attached Images
File Type: gif CK2Nitro.gif (119.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 15-12-2015, 23:18   #12
Shabbaman
Administrator

Impressive... but more so because I wonder how he can stand the boredom. Once you get to Empire-sized err... empires, my games tend to crawl to their death. By that time you can have a large income to fund a huge retinue, and the game just can't cope with large retinues.
Old 22-12-2015, 13:14   #13
Matrix
Administrator

I guess the thrill is just to get your empire as big as possible, to see how far you can reach before 1543AD.

I didn't get you about retinues.
Retinues are handy for quick conquest, because you can position them before you declare war. But no matter how big your income is, they suck up *huge* amounts of money to restrengthen! I played as Suomi/Finland/Scandinavia and changed from tribalism to merchant republic after reforming suomenusko, but still with an empire 1/3 the size as this one, I couldn't restrengthen my retinue at full speed after I used it, or I'd run into a deficit.
Old 25-12-2015, 10:22   #14
Shabbaman
Administrator

But there's not much to do with gold that's worth spending it on besides retinues. Retinues aren't cheap, but if you're at war continuously you'd end up with a bunch of very unhappy vassals (because of the raised levies penalty). So you tell me what's cheaper... and add to that that retinues is the only way to get a high number high quality troops (knights and heavies), which can save you a lot of casualties compared to regular levies.

If retinues are too costly, try lowering the reinforce speed. Or perhaps your retinue is too large, hard to tell from here
Old 28-12-2015, 18:37   #15
Matrix
Administrator

I had a huge retinue. And indeed, if they all needed to recharge, I could still do that at half speed.
Old 29-12-2015, 10:19   #16
Shabbaman
Administrator

Trying to compensate something with that retinue size?
Old 01-01-2016, 22:24   #17
Matrix
Administrator

Yes and no. Being a merchant republic, your own army is smaller than if you were a feudal rules. But no, because why would I not go to the maximum retinue? It's a one time investment that doesn't cost (or hardly costs) anything if you don't use it.

Or would I have been compensating something else?
Old 27-02-2016, 15:11   #18
Shabbaman
Administrator

I started a new game as Hvitserk of Jorvik. At some point I'm fighting the king of Wessex for control of London. Sometimes in CK2 you just need some time to browse family trees, so I discover my advisary and his wife have the great pox. How convenient. I decide to figure out if this pox has spread, so I check the court of his ally, the king of Mercia. Now, while my army was on the way to London it had sacked Tamsworth, seat of the king of Mercia. While I discover that the king of Mercia doesn't have the great pox but is merely stressed, I also discover that apparently I hold his wife, the queen of Mercia, captive in my prison. Quelle suprise! And to top that off, I'm also holding his three daughters.

A sane man would've ransomed them, but I'm a viking. Concubines, concubines everywhere!
Old 28-02-2016, 13:55   #19
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
Quelle suprise!

Quote:
A sane man would've ransomed them, but I'm a viking. Concubines, concubines everywhere!
Wise (Shabba)man!
Old 28-02-2016, 23:11   #20
Shabbaman
Administrator

Since you're so interested in the concubines part, a minor update from the court of Jorvik. While furthering my quest to snatch Middlesex from the west saxons, I noticed that they managed to marry their heir to a East Francian princess. Yes, a real Karling (fun fact: in the original CK2 start there's only a single Karling left). Guess what came out of that hole when I captured their castle: an eighteen year old Karling, plus the queen of Wessex.

This game really makes you wonder why people stopped being viking