Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 24-04-2005, 20:05   #1
Mistfit
King

Default PBEM questions and Avatar possibilities

Hello all. Mistfit here. Some of you may know me from that other forum. I am a competant player of civ and have been enjoying your fourm here in the 24 or so hours I've been aware of its existance.

A couple of questions for you:

1.) is there a primer or instruction manual posted here anywhere that explains the mechanics and rules of a PBEM? I have read some of the spoilers and find the possibilities intriguing.

2.) I would like to offer my services here to anyone who is in need of an avatar. I do enjoy fussing around with graphics and consider myself decent at Avatar creation. Is there a place on the forum that I could set up shop to offer my Avataring skills?
Old 24-04-2005, 20:23   #2
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Hey Mistfit!

1. Not really, that I'm aware of. The best source here are spoilers - there are lots of them, and full of tips, screenshots, and strategy. You could try the 1 vs 1 Strategy Forum for more info though, but I'm still sticking with spoilers as the best source. Set one up and let people give you comments!

For rules of a pbem, Aggie made a nice set here. Krys also has great one here.

2. You could try off-topic...there's not real computer forum here, everything 'else' goes in OT. If you also have some pbem-related stuff, you could get your own forum for stuff.
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 20:33   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Tossin out stuff at random here but:

Diplo is very much different
-if you offer something to a human one turn, he/she can accept it on the following turn (depending on the lineup) - so diplo bargaining should be done via email or possibly via MSN or an equivalent IM client.
-human vs human diplo is not like human vs AI diplo: you cannot see what the other player has, but you can evaluate his progress by checking if you have something he has...etc.

order of play can be crucial:
if you are player 1, you will not see the AI moves, including barbarians:
-protect workers and settlers (but most sane people do that
-if 1vs1, then the last human are supposed to write battle reports, and report stuff that happens in IBT.

AFAIK, diplo and player1 are the most important parts where pbem differ from SP
Old 24-04-2005, 21:08   #4
Mistfit
King

Thanks gents! What kind of time comitment is involved in a 1 -vs- 1 PBEM? I work on average 65-80 hrs a week and will not join a game unless I am sure I have the time to compete.
Old 24-04-2005, 21:20   #5
Ginger_Ale
Prince

It all depends on what time commitment you set yourself to, and agree upon with your opponent.

The norm is 1 turn per day. Paal and I, who are playing a game together, have done most of our turns on the weekend (yesterday we started at like 88 and are now up to 108), so if you find a timeslot where both of you are available, use it to your advantage! The early game (turns 50 and under around) go really slow, so "powersessions" really help to get it moving.

I check my email usually 2 times a day. Once in the morning and once at night to see if there are any saves. They only take a couple minutes to play, so you can usually do more than one at a time, but it depends. You can go to the Opponent Finding forum and see if there's someone to play at your pace - there probably is.

And if you do 1 turn a day, and 2 on the weekend days (9 per week), let's say an average game is 300 to 350 turns, that's anywhere from around 7 and a half to 9 months - the quicker you play, the quicker it ends, but enjoy it!
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 21:22   #6
Kemal

The time you want to commit is totally up to the players themselves, there are and have been lots of relaxed pace games going on here, the most shining example I suppose is the DDPP PBEM, where 6 humans have now been playing over 2 years (it started december 2002) and are still enjoying it a lot (well, one has been killed off by yours truly, so that's 5 now.. ).
As for 1x1, most seem to take between 3 and 6 months I think, when done at reasonably relaxed pace.. most games last about 150-180 turns I think, playing at a one turn per day rhytm that would more or less fit that time schedule.

Also, to add to Paalikles's list... be advised that you need to be more prepared for attacks than in regular SP, especially if your rulesset you agreed with the opponents does not forbid the signing of military alliances with the AI vs the human players.

edit: x-posted with GA.
Old 24-04-2005, 21:23   #7
Pastorius
Custard used tile

If you can manage 1-2 turns per day, I betcha someone wants to play. If you can manage more, then I am damn sure you ll get several play requests (Lt. "Killer" M will ask for a game once he gets back)
You know how much you need per turn in an SP game, so go with that number.

At the start of the game (dreaded enter to continue turns), you should probably do a powersession (multiple turns)

You ask for a forum for spoilers in Site Feedback if/when needed (or you can just ask here I guess )

Oh, and 1vs1 pbems are generally faster than multiple humans, especially when someone from the US forgets to play all the time *cough*Gogf*cough*

edit: x-posted with both GA and Kemal

edit2: dont start playing multiplayer immediately after playing singleplayer - you have to quit and restart civ to avoid a stupid bug that messes up how the game handles MP saves.
Old 25-04-2005, 14:11   #8
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

and here I am, asking!

Welcome, Misfit - wann play PBEM?
Old 26-04-2005, 00:03   #9
Mistfit
King

Thanks for the welcome Lt. Killer M. I will not start up a PBEM...Yet. It seems that they can be played fairly qickly per sitting but require daily or close to it playing. I currently do not have that kind of regular time to commit to gaming right now as it is my busy season for my business. But I plan on purchasing a Laptop computer early summer which would allow for easier access to my computer (ie. playing whilst whatching the kids or watching Television or playing while ignoring the wife) So I will take that invite hopefully with a raincheck for later this summer.

Again thanks to all for the warm welcome.
Old 26-04-2005, 02:08   #10
Whomp
King

Can I put on a avatar Mistfit made for me?

O/T Mistfit would you happen to live near Sleeping Bear Dunes?