Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Markstar's lair
Home

Old 29-06-2005, 18:09   #21
Markstar
King

Did some testing (it's been sooo long since I started a Civ game) and it looks like two warriors is the way to go, then either warrior, granary or settler.
- with a 3rd warrior that would mean we can spare the second one for exploring (since we need at least two for defense), then the other two for happiness.
- I prefer granary as well, the problem is that a standard-sized map with 8 players is pretty crowded so we have no idea how close the others are. Otoh with two warriors we should be save
- If done right a settler can be the most beneficial, especially if we have more than two bonus ressouces in the core.

And since we are playing at Emperor level exploring may even give us some techs/units.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 18:56   #22
Whomp
King

OK. I think once we see our start we can start getting a better sense of our plan of attack.

BTW I saw Beam wanted to change names from Sipahi to Milhunters on the main thread.
I was going to say "IF they even get to Sipahis". But I didn't want to inflame them so early in the game.
Old 29-06-2005, 19:00   #23
Markstar
King

Old 05-07-2005, 23:59   #24
Markstar
King

First turn is here!

Well, well, looks like a pretty save bet to found the capital right where we are, therefore I suggest founding the city BEFORE moving the worker. What do you think, Whomp?

If nothing else pops up I would move the worker onto the wheat. For building I suggest two warriors first, either one for exploring, one for homeland security or even both for that. Then a second worker might be a good idea before starting a granary because of the extensive forrest we have here.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19   #25
Markstar
King

VERY interesting area we have there:

That makes the future 10-20 turns pretty clear I guess. Build two warriors (8 turns which is when the captial will also grow), then worker (to finish improvements towards cow more quickly), then settler (to get the second gold hill to make sure we win the Philo run).
After that we can start the granary in the capital and the other one can provide unit support etc..

Looks like due to the extensive forrest it will be quite MM-intensive. I just hope that under some of those forrest-tiles are also some bonus grasslands...

Interestingly there also seems to be the coast in the east which is a good sign (meaning we are not in the middle of the continent). Due to our position that means exploring only needs to be done in 3 direction, which should take place AFTER we have built and secured the second city.
Old 06-07-2005, 16:57   #26
Whomp
King

Sweet. We are off and running. I agree with your strategy. We could also get a curragh out to go find some people. Safer and faster than by land. The other nice thing about that gold hill is it's on the same side of the river

Are you of the philosophy that you build roads after finishing an improvment? I saw that Team Wacken in SGOTM7 blew everyone out and they developed land first and then put in roads. I suppose we couldn't do philo sling if we did it that way but I found it interesting.

BTW I am getting my new pc next week so I will be able to view the saves for sure then. I will try to look at it tonight to see if my current pc can pick up that email.
Old 06-07-2005, 18:52   #27
Markstar
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Sweet. We are off and running. I agree with your strategy. We could also get a curragh out to go find some people. Safer and faster than by land. The other nice thing about that gold hill is it's on the same side of the river

Are you of the philosophy that you build roads after finishing an improvment? I saw that Team Wacken in SGOTM7 blew everyone out and they developed land first and then put in roads. I suppose we couldn't do philo sling if we did it that way but I found it interesting.

BTW I am getting my new pc next week so I will be able to view the saves for sure then. I will try to look at it tonight to see if my current pc can pick up that email.
Yes, curragh sounds good at some point, but our foremost concern should be getting our core up and running. I don't even think our first two warriors should be dedicated for anything else than homeland security.

About the roading? Lol - yes, I follow the whole "road-building" philosophy. SGOTM is a whole different ballgame since it is still a human-only game which is pretty predictable to a certain point. But we need the additional commerce and moreover the faster movement between our cities. That way, if we are attacked, we can get units to the front more quickly which will be of vital importance.
Old 06-07-2005, 20:09   #28
Whomp
King

Right on. Obviously my experience playing against humans is lacking. I hope you'll be patient with such a noobster.
Do you think there will be much diplomacy? Or is it of the pointy stick version?
Old 06-07-2005, 20:50   #29
Markstar
King

I am absolutely convinced that diplomacy will be the deciding factor. If we stick to ourselves, the others will combine against us and we will, under no circumstances, survive a 3vs1 situation, probably not even 2vs1.

Therefore, our top priority needs to be making FRIENDS, not enemies. I see a 2vs2 situation in the middle (2 tribes of each continent combined) or maybe even more. But alone no team will make it here, that's for sure.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:43   #30
digger760
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Markstar
If nothing else pops up I would move the worker onto the wheat.
So how come you moved to the BG?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote