Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Hattrick forum
Home

Old 15-12-2003, 14:21   #1
Melifluous
Administrator

Default Intro For Beginners

This is straight off the site so bear with me.

Introduction for beginners

Welcome to your very own football team! Before you start getting into the complete set of rules, here´s a brief survival guide for fledgling club owners. This is where you´ll get the most important game concepts and strategies explained to you Game rules

1. THE MENUS

In the Hattrick games you'll have access to a number of players, each with differing skill levels whether it be passing the ball, set pieces of finishing. Your main objective is to pick the best possible team for each game. First though, we'll brief you on how to navigate your way around the game.

Your team
As you log in you´ll see a menu to your left. You control your team from the caption with your own teams' name, pretty logical. Here you´ll find sub-menus like Players, where the team is listed, Games, where you can see upcoming matches, Economy, where your budget is presented, The club, where you can hire and fire coaches and junior players, Training, Arena and so on

Leagues & Cups
This is where you´ll find other leagues and cup results.

Transfers
This is where you can find new players for your team. You place a bid on a player by clicking on it and sending an offer from there.

2. THE PLAYERS

From the start your team will have a number of players. Go to the Players menu. Start by looking over who´s good at what. This is the range:
* non-existent
* disastrous
* wretched
* poor
* weak
* inadequate
* passable
* solid
* excellent
* formidable
* and so on, up to "divine"

You´ll get far by using your players with the best defensive skills as defenders, the best playmakers as midfielders and the best scorers up front.

Don´t forget to check out the current form of your players. Form is measured in the same way as player ability, but changes over time. It pays to use a "solid" forward in "excellent" form instead of a "brilliant" one in "poor" form.

3. GIVING ORDERS

When you´ve decided on who to include in your squad, check the Orders list. It´s found by clicking on the Upcoming matches caption, either on your team page or your series homepage.

Find the next game to be played. Click the Orders caption and the orders list appears.

Next, choose which player goes in what position. The basic strategy is a 4-4-2 lineup, but you may change your tactics by moving a wing back up to play the inner midfield, for instance. This is a move that might pay off if you have good midfielders, as your rate of ball possession decides how many chances you get to score.

The risk with changing formations is that your players need experience with different systems of play before they can become good at them. It might be wise to acquire experience with 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 in friendlies before you apply these tactics in regular games.

4. ASSISTANT COACHES, COACHES, ARENA AND YOUTH SQUAD

As a Hattrick beginner, your first challenge is to build a strong team. In the times ahead, as you aquire more money, improving the crowd capacity of your stadium might be a good idea. This will improve gate receipts and can be done from the Arena menu.

A good coach is important. You´ll find your coach on the Training page. The coach's ability ranges up to ”excellent”. Also, the general team spirit is affected by his leadership abilities. It´ll cost you a lot of money to find a new coach, so think twice before doing away with the one you´ve got.

You should quickly develop a strategy for your training. All abilities can be trained, and the players will increase their chances of improving if they get to play a game in the position they´re training during that week. The younger the player, the more he´ll benefit from his training. If you have some young promising defenders and some older midfielders, training ”Defensively” is a good idea. You can also apply General training. This will improve the players' current form, but not their abilities. Stamina training might be a good idea if your midfielders are unfit, but this will also reduce current form.

Assistant coaches can be hired from the Club menu. They´ll make the training more effective. Physiotherapists and doctors can prevent and fix injuries to your players. A spokesperson will keep the sponsors happy, and a sports psychologist will improve the mood in the locker room.

5. ECONOMY

To succeed in the long run you´re going to have to manage your finances. Income from crowds and sponsors are by far the most important ways to get money. It´s important to perform well during games, as spectators and advertising revenues increase when the team keeps winning.

Most important of all is not to get yourself into too much debt. If your team has more than £200,000 in debt you´re in trouble and can no longer place bids for interesting players. Also, your interest rates will soar. If your clubs' debt exceed £500,000 it´ll be declared bankrupt and removed from Hattrick

6. WHEN, WHERE AND HOW?

Hattrick world follows real time, meaning you can place bids on players, fire coaches or give your team orders at any time. However, there are two especially important times each week: game time.
* On Saturday and Sunday the league games are played
Mid-Week games are for cup matches or any friendlies you´ve arranged.
(By the way, friendlies are arranged by clicking on other club owner pages and checking if the team's free the following Wednesday. If the team is free, just go ahead and issue a challenge.)

Three days after a player is listed, he ends up on the Transfer list. This means that anybody who wants to may place a bid on him, the highest bid wins.

Games are played "live", which means for example, that the kick-off is at exactly 10 o´clock Sunday. You can follow the game on the Results page. It´s found under Upcoming matches, by clicking Current.

The match report is updated by the minute. If you don´t have time to "watch" the game live, the match report will be saved, so that you can access it easily whenever you want.

7. GRADES

After the games the players are graded. Players receive half or whole stars. Keep track of the grades for upcoming games, so that you´ll know who are your best players.

8. And so on

There we go. If you feel up to more reading, maybe it´s time to check out the complete set of rules.Game rules. with much more information on how Hattrick works, and how to become a successful club owner. If you need help with your password or something else administrative, our Gamemaster will help you at global@hattrick.org, or check the on-site listing to see the address for your country GMs. However, this isn´t a support service for improving your gaming! If you need that kind of information, you should ask your fellow gamers. The conference and chat facilities are excellent places to find helpful players. Good Luck!

Melifluous
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 13:03   #2
yndy
Prince

Tip for ProPain (and others that are just about to start)

I want to give you a very useful tip when you begin. Unfortunately I didn’t know about it and now it’s too late to use it.

I see you have 6 players under 23. They can all be trained even if it will go slower than for a 17 year old.

Normally you would buy a youngster, train it from 17 to 21 and sell him just as he gets a new step (say solid). The buyer would see that you bought the guy for say 100k, and when you bought it. He would also assume you are selling him just as he got a new step and pay you accordingly.

But if you already have a player, he will not know when you bought him or if you trained him. He will assume that you did not, and that the player was that good from the beginning. He would be willing to give you more money for him.

So think whether one or more of those players could be trained and sold for a profit that might exceed the 300k you got when you started. If you want me to help you with that, send me their stats.
Old 22-12-2003, 14:11   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, the best tip you can get when you start: expand your stadium right away.
It doesn't really matter what you do next, but the extra income is always nice. A capacity of 10k is a good start, but you could go for 13k as well. The initial cost of each expansion is 30k anyway.
Old 22-12-2003, 15:14   #4
yndy
Prince

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Well, the best tip you can get when you start: expand your stadium right away.
It doesn't really matter what you do next, but the extra income is always nice. A capacity of 10k is a good start, but you could go for 13k as well. The initial cost of each expansion is 30k anyway.
I would say do what I wrote above and then expand your stadium right away with themoney you get. The reason is that yes, expanding the stadium will give you extra income, but by hiring a solid coach, training one good player into a very good one and selling him you already get back the money you spend on the coach and yes you can still expand the stadium.

I did what you wrote Shabbaman, and built a 14k stadium which is making a profit of 75k every two weeks and I thought the other players in the league were bozos for not doing the same. That until they sold their star player with 450k, while I got 90k for mine which was more or less similar. They also got a reduced 30k per week from the initial stadium.
Old 22-12-2003, 16:05   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

Yeah... but that ain't exactly newbie tactics, innit?
Old 22-12-2003, 16:44   #6
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

@Yndy, I'm a bit confused here. A little summary to check if I gert it right:

Normal procedure:
- buy young player
- train player
- sell when he improves
- buyer knows prive you paid, knows you trained him, will not pay an excessive amount because he feels he cant train em.

New team start
- train player
- sell player after improvement
- You got the player and didnt buy him so no amount is visible to the buyer which will indicate that the player haa been trained so he might as well have these stats as start stats. This means he still can be trained and thus increase in value. In reality this is not the case so he's overpaying
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 16:55   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

Summarize of summary: an 'improved' player is worth more. If he just got improved he won't improve as quickly as he didn't got improved. But if you started with that player, a buyer can't see that as easily.
Old 22-12-2003, 16:55   #8
Shabbaman
Administrator

Unfortunately, my starting players all sucked major league.
Old 22-12-2003, 17:34   #9
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I cast a quick glance at my players this morning. Bottom line: they suck

I have 2 players who are marked 'good' on offense and that's the best I have. Rest is all worse than good. But I dont know their age, maybe they're too old. Can't check, site is down.

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 21:27   #10
yndy
Prince

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain
Normal procedure:
- buyer knows price you paid, knows you trained him, will not pay an excessive amount because he feels he cant train em.

New team start
This means he still can be trained and thus increase in value. In reality this is not the case so he's overpaying.
Pretty close. It's not that they can't train him but in first case buyer would feel he would have to train say eight weeks for the player to grow an entire level.

In the second case because he doesn't know he would assume the player is half way trained and he would have to train four weeks for the player to grow a level and will overpay.

You might say the difference is not high anyway but if you would sell such player now, your benefit would be even lower.