Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 26-02-2008, 21:14   #1
Mistfit
King

Default Fantasy Baseball discussion and sign-up

It is that time of year again to start thinking about baseball.. this thread will be about another season of Fantasy Baseball..

Last year being out inaugural season we had fun but we need to discuss what can be done to keep interest in the game all season long.

Anyone with ideas?

I personally think that the people that played last season could keep their interest more this season because like me they now have an idea on how the whole thing works..

Post if you have ideas or would like to sign up
Old 26-02-2008, 21:36   #2
sz_matyas

Looks like the season starts on March 24, so we'll have to have everything completed by then. I'll set the league up within a week if you want any changes from last year, let me know before it gets set in stone.

Also suggested draft times are appreciated. Tentative thought is the weekend of the 15-16th in the afternoon.

Good luck and hope it is as tight as last year (except for the 1st spot, I got ridiculously lucky there).
Old 26-02-2008, 22:42   #3
Mistfit
King

btw.. we would like to get 12'ish people to join..

we have 2 right now

Matt
Mistfit
Old 27-02-2008, 01:58   #4
Robboo
King

I am in ..more than likely I will have to auto draft. Schedule is too chaotic to predict.

More trash talk may help with interest. also head to head games are a most. Total points type is a bit boring to start and at teh end
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 03:31   #5
Whomp
King

I'm in too. Let me know when.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:08   #6
sz_matyas

I'll look at head to head formats.

The problem I have with them is that any individual week is too random, especially for pitchers to use a rotisserie scoring system and points based scoring systems are hard to set fairly (so they don't overvalue certain stats or a single monster game from one player wins you the entire week, such as A-Rods 11 RBI day or Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in the same inning). If there is a two week head-to-head schedule I will use that (probably rotisserie scoring) or if you could come up with a fair pts system I would be willing to look at that.

Any thoughts on artificial position scarcity? (last year I included an extra middle infielder as they tend to affect the true performance of team and often get shafted in fantasy. For similar reasons I made holds a category as middle relievers are crucial, but get the shaft in fantasy).

One change I will make with head to head is limiting the number of transactions a week to prevent "streaming" where players pick up and drop pitchers like crazy to get the most starts (and presumably wins and strikeouts) as possible.

Tentative draft time of March 15 at 3 pm Central time work? Let me know if you have other suggestions for drafting.

Also add Mauer and Grahamiam from the other thread as playing this year. Feel free to invite a friend to join as 12 teams is more fun than 8 (I know 1 other person from WI that would like to join, giving us a league plus there are a couple from last year who haven't responded [cough! romeo cough!])
Old 27-02-2008, 13:05   #7
Robboo
King

Even with head to head you can smooth out some of the players great performances. As it is in rotisserie you get one ofr two great players you can expect less from the scrubs. The game is then won or loss in the draft. With head ot head you have to have a player who is consistent or just has a bad day once in a while.

You want to keep interest. knowing your in 5 or 6th with no way of catching up will hurt the interest. With head to head you have a chance every week.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 13:40   #8
Mistfit
King

I actually prefer Sundays in the late afternoon if possible. If I am the only one holding that up have it when ever but Saturdays tend to be my busy times
Old 27-02-2008, 21:08   #9
sz_matyas

Ok, the league is set up with the draft on Sunday March 16 at 3:00 (subject to change if necessary).

League #: 140397
Password: nerds

It is head-to-head each week (Yahoo doesn't do two week head-to-head) with the same categories and team structure as last season. Maximum of 3 player acquisitions a week, must pitch at least 25 innings. Join early, join often.
Old 03-03-2008, 18:25   #10
grahamiam
Emperor

I'm in. Thanks for the pm sz
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote