Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 23-08-2006, 08:07   #21
Shabbaman
Administrator

What it costs is really depending on what you want from it. If you just want to play and have fun, it doesn't have to cost much. Recently I discovered standard tribal: that's standard (type 2, the latest sets, for the n00bs )with the requirement that 1/3 of your deck consists of creatures of the same type. Those formats with restraints are nice, because it keeps you away from the most expensive decks. And playing with a handicap makes it ok if you loose. And there are also tournaments with tribal standard.
Such a deck won't cost you more than something like $20. The amount of time you spend on it, well, that's up to you. A single game doesn't take much time, a league will take at least 3 hours a week. A league will cost you about $20 as well (too much if you ask me).

The bad thing is that once you start, you always want more and better cards.
Old 23-08-2006, 08:55   #22
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I dont think league's are that bad value for money.

entering a league: tourny pack + 2 boosters + 2 tickets = $ 20,-
adding a boosters every consecutive week (3*) = $ 10,-

So that's $30/4 = $7.50 a week (or for Shabba $2.50 an hour ) When I go out I usually spend more money in 3 hours, so when you look at it from an entertainment/hour value PoV I think it's not particularly expensive. You can also sell your cards after the tourny but unless you're lucky they're worthless anyway so you that won't really reduce your cost.

There's booster's to be won as well if you end up top halve of the tourney. A booster sells for about 3.5 tickets (1$/ticket) so you need to win 8 boosters to come out even which equals top 9. Don't count on that either and play for fun, not togo infinite

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 09:13   #23
Kemal

I'm actually enjoying myself in the casual room already, even with my newbee deck. While I agree that you will always want to get better cards/combos/decks at some stage, improving your card base with a league seems like a really good method, and to me far better than getting a preconstructed deck which forces you in a certain direction.

During the league, you are playing in an even playfield for 4 weeks, and to add bonus you can even win prices, while in reality that only costs $2 from the event tickets, the cards are purchased and kept and can be used for your casual deck too once the league finishes, and are the same price they would have been had you bought them outside the league format.

Seems like a great way to play the game to me, and since a league lasts 4 weeks, overspending on it is a difficult thing. I'd say I'd prolly play once every 6 or so weeks in a league.

Then again, I might not be such a diehard player, as I'm not craving for the best decks per se, but for the nicest combos. Or, to put it in WotC terms, I'm Johnny, not Spike.
Old 23-08-2006, 09:23   #24
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

So that's $30/4 = $7.50 a week (or for Shabba $2.50 an hour ) When I go out I usually spend more money in 3 hours, so when you look at it from an entertainment/hour value PoV I think it's not particularly expensive. You can also sell your cards after the tourny but unless you're lucky they're worthless anyway so you that won't really reduce your cost.
I can play in the casual room for free. But I must admit I'm biased: I'm really a constructed player.

P.S. Read this article on tribal, and that guy's newer articles. Honestly, I can't push tribal enough. Zombies FTW!
Old 23-08-2006, 09:25   #25
Kemal

Zombies as Forward Towards the Wing?
Old 23-08-2006, 09:30   #26
Shabbaman
Administrator

Indeed
Old 23-08-2006, 13:04   #27
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I can play in the casual room for free. But I must admit I'm biased: I'm really a constructed player.

P.S. Read this article on tribal, and that guy's newer articles. Honestly, I can't push tribal enough. Zombies FTW!
I didn't say leagues where the most inexpensive way of playing, I just said I thought the value for money isn't bad at all in my PoV.

If you look at it financially drafting might even be a better proposition. If you win your 1st match you've earned at least 2 booster packs for a 3 booster + 2 tickets = $12 dollar investment. If you win another match you'll have at least 4 packs, returning your investment basically. For me the 2 hour commitment is just too difficult atm, so I dont think I'll be going down that road a lot.

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:21   #28
Shabbaman
Administrator

If you can draft, you should draft. That way you can go "infinite". A lot of good (not even the really good, mind you) never pay anything for MTGO. If you always end in the upper half of a draft queue, you win more than you spend. Pykniteking is drafting a lot... and I think he's getting close.

Like I said, it's just a different mindset. I dislike limited, constructed is my thing. I get the best value for my money in the casual room: getting 10 tickets (7 euros) of sub par cards is good enough for weeks. But I do think drafting is something for Kemal: drafting is all about remembering draft picks (i.e. the play value of cards), a brilliant suit for an obsessive micromanager.
Old 14-09-2006, 16:19   #29
Kemal

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Playing in a ravnica league will give you a reasonable amount of cards, plus a lot of playing time. But just getting a deck is a lot cheaper.

Unless you get lucky and draw more foil duals.
Ended up joining the league (not doing that well, currently 50/50 record with 10 games to play), and selling the watery grave for 13, getting myself a nice deck doing okay in casual with that. But my tickets had been exhausted by now.

Unfortunately, I did not get lucky and didn;t draw any foil dual lands anymore.

However, the hallowed fountain I just pulled from my last dissention booster should see my ticket supply rise once again. /brag mode

Not sure I'll sell though, I think the artwork from Rob Alexander is absolutely spot on, I'm thinking about keeping and playing it for that alone...

Btw, I've played a couple of games vs PP already, but haven't seen you around yet Shabba, strictly playing drafts these days?
Old 19-09-2006, 16:00   #30
Shabbaman
Administrator

No, I've been on holiday. You'll see me soon, I guess. I've got a good idea for a skeleton or zombie tribal deck, with grave pact (one of my favorites). Did you add me to your buddy list? If so, send me a message, then I'll add you to mine.