Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 09-09-2008, 19:16   #31
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

OMFG, that's new for me, what a heap of crap that is!!! Wonder how the fucking DVD knows it has been installed btw, is it writing something on the DVD and if so would installing from a not writable disc station help?

Well, this is for sure the last EA game I'll ever buy untill they lift this idiot restriction.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:24   #32
Furiey
King

Activation over the internet I heard. Yet another game that sends people who have a legitimate copy hunting for deoderant.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:48   #33
grahamiam
Emperor

Why? The biggest draw of this game is that it is connected to the internet all the time so you can have other people's creations populate your world. I believe Will Wright called it Massively Single Player, or some play on MMO. Since you have to be connected to the internet for that, wtf is wrong with having it activated over the internet? It's not the first product to do it (Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, Ipod, etc). And the 3 install limit only means that you have to call EA to get it reactivated after the 1st three, kinda like Windows XP OEM.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 00:29   #34
ProPain

it's not so much the internet activation that I care about but the 3/5 limit install. I dont think it will be a problem for me but I still think it's ridiculous.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:12   #35
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

it's not so much the internet activation that I care about but the 3/5 limit install. I dont think it will be a problem for me but I still think it's ridiculous.
I agree a limit is ridiculous, but it's not the 1st time it's been done. Unfortunately, with all the pirating going on for PC games, companies have to come up with all sorts of weird DRM to show their shareholders and investors that they are trying to protect the IP.

grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59   #36
socralynnek

If it is connected to the internet anyway, then it would be enough for EA to check, whether one number is trying to connect twice, which would be enough. Everything else is stupid IMO.
OK, EA is not a small company. But what if you want to install it in ten years once again to show someone which games you played in the good old times and then no one is there to activate your game?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:07   #37
ProPain

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam
I agree a limit is ridiculous, but it's not the 1st time it's been done. Unfortunately, with all the pirating going on for PC games, companies have to come up with all sorts of weird DRM to show their shareholders and investors that they are trying to protect the IP.
I understand they wanna battle piracy and I totally agree on that because I feel piracy hurts me as well. After all my games are more expensive because an amount of money is factored in the sales price to compensate lost sales. Otoh I seriously doubt if game companies would lower their prices should they know they'd sell double the amount of games, and they're certainly not prepared to take the first step (lowering prices) here and see what this would lead to, but that's a different discussion.

My problem is that this limited install measure hurts the paying customer over the pirating customer. After all, someone who gets an illegal copy will use some sort of crack to work around the install limit and have no hassle at all. So how this measure will prevent piracy is beyond me.

I do think the online check is fine as long as it's when you log on to an online service and not every ten days. That would be a rather easy and low-intrusive method to check and as long as good online content and patches are available you're rewarding the legal owners because they get a better product then the illegal owners.

Ofc that would mean that companies would have to invest time in decent online services and maybe some are too lazy for that.
Old 16-09-2008, 13:28   #38
Markstar
King

I gave my girlfriend Spore for our 11-year anniversary. Despite that, I installed the pirated version with a crack on my computer because I simply do not appreciate having my data sent over the internet. Plus, in the case of Spore, it allows me to simply copy the install directory to my TabletPC (which has no CD/DVD-drive) and run it from there - no install necessary!

But the game sucks. The stages are not balanced at all and there are just sooo many things that just waste time. My girlfriend is quite disappointed as well, she was looking forward to this game for almost a year (she loved the creator-creator) but the end-product is just not that great.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:06   #39
ProPain

I agree the stages arent balanced and the game isnt all that it's hyped up to be. Still the whole creating-thing that is has going on is strangely compelling.