Home

Old 30-11-2004, 11:16   #21
Shabbaman
Administrator

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 30-11-2004, 11:31   #22
Markstar
King

First: I've decided not to buy any Firaxis games NOT because there are still bugs in a game. It is the manner how they dealt with it and what their priorities are that unsettles me. But we had that talk before so I'm not getting into it (again).

Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility), on my desktop (2GHz with Geforce) the mouse pointer is screwed up and the sound is cracking sometimes (not on other up-to-date titles like Doom3). On both machines the grafic is just wrong sometimes, especially when on the sea.
There are some gameplay issues as well, but that might be because I don't know any better. Nevertheless I find them quite annoying. For example, when talking to ppl who give who information, I say I'll not it in my log. However, I don't see this info being recorded anywhere (except city info, which will pop up when I click on the regarding city) which means I have to write it down manually (and outside of the game). Or the fact that my ppl become unhappy and I have to divide my precious wealth with them and start over. 10%?
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 12:34   #23
Plux
King

Nice sail . Apart from that, the graphics look pretty dimm
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 13:45   #24
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility), on my desktop (2GHz with Geforce) the mouse pointer is screwed up and the sound is cracking sometimes (not on other up-to-date titles like Doom3). On both machines the grafic is just wrong sometimes, especially when on the sea.
Sounds like your machine is better than mine, or about the same. I have no problems at all though. Maybe it's time for an ew driver for your video card, nvidia just released a new one.
It sounds like the problems I was having with Rome: Total War though. It turned out that my memory was broken. And that my graphics card sometimes doesn't connect too well (bumping into the cpu, which is standing next to my leg. My wooden leg, arrrrr!). Also a bit weird, since this only caused problems in R:TW and not in very demanding FPS games.

Quote:
quote:There are some gameplay issues as well, but that might be because I don't know any better. Nevertheless I find them quite annoying. For example, when talking to ppl who give who information, I say I'll not it in my log. However, I don't see this info being recorded anywhere (except city info, which will pop up when I click on the regarding city) which means I have to write it down manually (and outside of the game).
Yes, annoying. That must be a bug.

Quote:
quote:Or the fact that my ppl become unhappy and I have to divide my precious wealth with them and start over. 10%?
That's a feature. Managing your crew is part of the game. You can get a bigger share on higher levels. Or you could get your crew get killed or something evil.

I noticed the land battles are very slooooooooooooooooow. All moves are animated, and that makes them very sloooooooooooooooooooow. Next to unplayable.
Sinking ships is still fun though.
Old 30-11-2004, 14:54   #25
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Alright, perhaps one sentense with 42 words and no comma's wasn't such a good idea.
you make a lot less sense than me, here:
Quote:
quote:
Firaxis made the best game ever: Civ3.
true, so far
Quote:
quote:Because of that we all play it as much as possible.
yep
Quote:
quote:Because of that we find out all the bugs there are in Civ3.
erhhhhh..... nope! Play for 1 hour and you meet ten bugs. 45 after the first 5 patches.
Quote:
quote:Because of that most bugs we know are in fact coming from Civ3.
uh, no, i played Falcon 4.0. But Falcon wasn't as easy to fix as many BS things in Civ would have been (and turned out to be after enough whining and ranting by certain forum crowds)
Quote:
quote:Because of that we blame Firaxis for making so many bugs.
nope, I blame them for producing a game full of bugs because they produced a game that could have been bug free full of bugs.
Quote:
quote:We then forget about the fact that they're made the best game ever.
Nope, but we also don't forget that they produced one of the needlessetdly buggiest games ever.
Quote:
quote:In fact, we don't even want to buy anything from Firaxis anymore.
Yep, until it is finally relatively bug-free. (talking C3C latest patch here, that's what had been promised all along, after all)

Quote:
quote:Is this more clear?
I hope I screwed it up, I jsut haven't found a way to enter a jsut into the above part
Old 30-11-2004, 14:58   #26
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Plux

Nice sail . Apart from that, the graphics look pretty dimm
hehe, the sails look like they have been washed with something brewed up @ the secret Henkel factory...... something to make needles drop from trees in Canada the instant it gets out of your washing machine into the Rhine

or are the sails simply passive-stone, giving them that glow, from all the [weed] you pirates smoke?
Old 30-11-2004, 19:43   #27
Melifluous
Administrator

Quote:
quote:
Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility)
Yup me too! It wasn't the classic BSoD, but looking closely it said something like a STOP error and that my graphics driver had entered an infinite loop!

Quote:
quote:Maybe it's time for an ew driver for your video card, nvidia just released a new one.
Now this would be the answer you'd think.

Nope.

Removing the latest nvidia driver and rolling all the way back to a 2002 driver did the trick for me!

Played until 4am last night and dreamt of sailing off the coast of South America.

I thought the game was bloody dull,sail and fight sail and fight sail and fight.

And then my crew got pissed off at me and I had to share my 60,000 gold between them.

I got the option to advance to a higher level! Big deal.

Then next time I attack Cuadad de Nombre or somink I take out the cavalry and suchlike in those lovely slooooooooooow games of chequers and got to appoint a governer? So I put a good honest Dutchie to work and they now fix my boats for free. I have 1 wife at the moment, dancing didnt do it, but constant slaughter of spaniards and returning to the same port (Curacao) meant the Dutch were big fans. (OK a ruby ring and a diamond necklace helped) I'm a Mayor or Baron or somink now with a fame of 29.

Also next swordfight I get into I get to choose a weapon! Ra! This is what I remember and the fights arent just me beating the Thrust button to death (ok, it still kind of is, my one gripe with the game so far).

Only bug I've found is sneaking into a city. It tells me to follow the white arrows...

What fucking white arrows?

How about I just wander about until I find the inn huh?

Melifluous

PS. OK one more gripe... Does the wind change direction anywhere? Or is it always east to west?
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 19:47   #28
Grille

@Shabba:
what that funny symbols in the pic under the "Sint Kees" (and English sloop)?
The load?
(like stardust both in family and single packages, then we have doctor hats and earphones?)
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 20:06   #29
Melifluous
Administrator

No they are the upgrades on his boat.

Lets see he has Copper plating (turn faster)
Cotton Sails (go faster?)
Triple hammocks (more men to a boat, hello sailor)
Iron Scatterlings (or somink, resistant to hull damage)
Chain Shot (ouch mind me legs, anti personel cannons)
Grape Shot (Do you know how long it took me to stitch that sail? Anti-sail cannons)

and finally a Bronze Cannon (more accurate shooting)

But he dont have no fine-grade powder yet (longer range)

That answer your question?

Melifluous

PS. Diclaimer I freely acknowledge that the grape and chain shot may be muddled. I always get confused. If in doubt go for the Round Shot and take the hull out from under them
It's divine to own a dick.
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Melifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 21:28   #30
Grille

Quote:
quote:
That answer your question?
Yup, thx! Sounds great, guess I have to waste some young & restless life in the caribbean soon.
Grille is offline   Reply With Quote