Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 24-10-2007, 15:36   #81
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Mali's start is still absolutly balls, it may even be worse than it was before- can we not smack a few hills down there maybe an oasis or two? realism can only go so far.
I'll have a look tonight.
Old 24-10-2007, 20:40   #82
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Mali's start is still absolutly balls, it may even be worse than it was before- can we not smack a few hills down there maybe an oasis or two? realism can only go so far.
I played a practice start as the Vikings just now and I noticed two things

1. Christianity was the first religion founded??? In 3680 BC? That can't be right...

2 I have to say that I find the map very unbalanced.
Two examples:
- All the Vikings have is furs. No other luxury is reasonably attainable playing against human players. The health resources are OK, but the Vikings are basically pinned down and can only expand in one direction, which will be heavily contested. And there's almost nothing there.
- Strategic resources are extremely unbalanced. Now I only looked at the Vikings and their nearest neighbours, but all the Vikings have is iron. Rome has copper, iron and horses within 6 tiles of Rome. Russia has horses and iron inside the fat cross and a copper in northern siberia, which can be easily blocked from everyone else.

Not trying to bash the map-modders here, but maybe some more work on Europe could be done?
Old 24-10-2007, 20:55   #83
Beam
c00l b33r

If Matrix didn't change resources in Europe it probably is the same as when I edited Europe down in resources for the prevrious game. Will have a lookie. Otoh you can connect furs pretty soon and you got a couple to trade.

Meantime the starting area for the Mali has been improved significantly and imo they stand a chance if they play smart. Also replaced couple of jungles with forest all around the world. Russia complained about lack of copper nearby last game plus it is contested now by Mongolia so that is corrected. Inca cap location is made similar to the current game. Saw one or two deserts near rivers > floodplains (hard to see if they are corner tiles). And a couple of other minor edits like adding a plain over desert for spreading irrigation.

Last but not least put a sheep in New Zealand. Can't think of New Zealand without sheep.

EDIT: Choose religion is on so you could even choose Islam with the first religious tech.
Old 24-10-2007, 21:05   #84
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Otoh you can connect furs pretty soon and you got a couple to trade.
Only two, so not much to trade. And besides. Who am I going to trade it to? Russia's already got enough, and IIRC Rome can also claim one fairly easily.

Quote:

Last but not least put a sheep in New Zealand. Can't think of New Zealand without sheep.
I thought that was Oz? The one with the sheep, kangaroos and rabbits?

Quote:

EDIT: Choose religion is on so you could even choose Islam with the first religious tech.
Ah, right. That must be new in BTS then, right?
Old 24-10-2007, 21:28   #85
Beam
c00l b33r

Vikings also improved with some luxes and also soom food sources as that wasn't looking to good either imo.

The map now enables trading over coast with all players if you made contact so don't worry about Rome and Russia being your only option for trade. I've added a third Fur btw and iirc you can trade 'm with Rome.

Will post the last WBS soon and plan to start in a couple of hours.
Old 24-10-2007, 21:37   #86
Darkness

Thanks.
Old 24-10-2007, 21:57   #87
Beam
c00l b33r

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

Thanks.
Welcome. The thread in PBEM Open Forum has been updated with the latest WBS.