Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 12-10-2008, 20:01   #41
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I have the impression that +2 food for drydock are the exact same as +2 for plain docks, cause a drydock I built and expected to get even more food from didnt do that.

On the top spot: I agree with Stapel, great spot. Pity there isnt a 2nd sea resource apart from the crab but still sea is the best food tile you can get and the that will give you some cheap and quick new colonists.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 20:43   #42
ProPain

btw, picked up the save and playing
Old 12-10-2008, 21:18   #43
ProPain

turn 1 (41) - scout (66G from ruins) and set carpenter to carpenting to finish drydock
turn 2 (42) - The king want to raise our tax to 3% or we can have the shabbaville tobacco party. So we kiss the pinky ring. We meet Simon Bolivar and have peace with him. He has 2 settlements just like us but only owns 50G.
turn 3 (43) - Price of ore falls to 2G in England. We meet Logan of the Iroquois and we do the peace thing again.
turn 4 (44) - scout, move caravel.
turn 5 (45) - The king demands 1320G. He's quite the comedian, our monarch. I'll tell him to fuck off.
turn 6 (46) - Religious unrest has petty criminals appearing on our docks. A new colonist appears in Shabbaville because we reach 200G. I sent the missionary out to our Indian friends and set the expert silver miner to chopping wood. We would really benefit from expert fishermen and expert tobacco planters but getting them quickly would mean sending our caravel out to the indian villages instead of going back to Europe. Since we're so close to our galleon I put the colonist to work as a tobbaco planter on one of the onus resources. I think we should get the tobacco and silver to Europe, buy a galleon to get our stuff and treasure back to Europe and after that use the caraval to get indians to train a fisherman and a tobacco planter.
turn 7 (47) - We finish the drydock and nothing changes in our foodsurplus. I set the build to schoolhouse so we can train fishermen. We scout another village, again nothing from the cheap indians.
turn 8 (48) - We establish a mission in Teotihuacan

BTW I also think we should settle on the tip of the little island to the west (see attached pic) It has access to 3 bonus food resources and lots of water. If we expert fishermen spam it it will be a great colonist generator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miffyking2JPG.jpg (80.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg miffyking1JPG.jpg (80.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg simon.jpg (73.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg settlehere.jpg (88.8 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: colonizationsave Miffy AD-48.ColonizationSave (68.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-10-2008, 22:51   #44
Darkness

Thanks for clearing up the drydock issue, PP. IMHO the colonopedia is slightly misleading on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
BTW I also think we should settle on the tip of the little island to the west (see attached pic) It has access to 3 bonus food resources and lots of water. If we expert fishermen spam it it will be a great colonist generator.
Gotta disagree here. That one city would be very difficult to defend in the WOI, and you can't disband cities in Col2 (opposed to Col1, where such cities were very useful).
Old 12-10-2008, 23:48   #45
ProPain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Thanks for clearing up the drydock issue, PP. IMHO the colonopedia is slightly misleading on this.

Gotta disagree here. That one city would be very difficult to defend in the WOI, and you can't disband cities in Col2 (opposed to Col1, where such cities were very useful).
Why defend it? Let the king have it after it served its purpose or maybe we can give it away to an ally.

The seatiles alone will generate 3*12 + 4*6= 60 food. 7 fishermen eat 14 food, so that's a 46 food surplus excluding the city tile. I'm not sure how the center tile is handled but judging from Shabbaville we'll get 3 food even the tile has only 1 food. That would amount to 49 food a turn which is a colonist every 4,05 turns.
Old 13-10-2008, 00:06   #46
Matrix
Administrator

I'm with PP here. A great potential breeding farm!
Old 13-10-2008, 07:34   #47
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
I have the impression that +2 food for drydock are the exact same as +2 for plain docks, cause a drydock I built and expected to get even more food from didnt do that.
Too bad then... A bit stupid though. But.....,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
I would really like to purchase a Galleon soon. What do you guys think about that?
Well, maybe we can build a galleon ourselves . It will cost a bit, but I think we need more ships anyway. Also, if we collect treasure on the main land, it's quite hard to bring them over, without cities there.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 09:39   #48
Darkness

Quote:
Why defend it? Let the king have it after it served its purpose or maybe we can give it away to an ally.

The seatiles alone will generate 3*12 + 4*6= 60 food. 7 fishermen eat 14 food, so that's a 46 food surplus excluding the city tile. I'm not sure how the center tile is handled but judging from Shabbaville we'll get 3 food even the tile has only 1 food. That would amount to 49 food a turn which is a colonist every 4,05 turns.
I don't know if you can achieve an independence victory if you've lost one of your cities? Never tried this. Maybe you have to take it back before you can win the game?

We could try to give it away though (also never tried this, but the option is in the diplomacy screen so I assume this is possible).

The yield of this city would be tremendous, but it's a serious investment for sure (and it will take quite a bit of time to get it running). And what are we going to do with all those colonists. Education is somewhat expensive in the long term in Col2. Also, the higher the population, the more liberty bells needed, and as a consequence the REF will grow bigger...

But if we try this, then I suggest starting the city ASAP and build a schoolhouse there. That way we could try to educate all the fishermen that we're going to need for the main island in that city.
Old 13-10-2008, 11:00   #49
Robi D
King

As an interested observer who doesn't have the game yet, but has played the orginal, as far as i can remember you don't need to keep all your cities. Just need to defeat the kings REF without losing all your cities, although your score wont be as good naturally.

That city will also be a big help when you start building up your army for independence

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 11:23   #50
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
But if we try this, then I suggest starting the city ASAP and build a schoolhouse there. That way we could try to educate all the fishermen that we're going to need for the main island in that city.
Hopeless, and a waste. The time required for education gets longer with every graduate. I'd rather save that for expensive and hard to get specialties, like statesman. We'd need the indians to teach expert fishermen.