Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 20-09-2004, 13:44   #11
digger760
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov
About Rise of Nations, why is it just another RTS ? Don't the special features (science, etc...) make it better (but still a RTS) ?
I would'nt call anything in Rise of Nations special...its just another RTS that you collect resources as fast as you can, spend those resources on building stuff as efficiently/fast as possible, massing a decent size army and squashing your enemy.

I have a jaded opinion of resource collection RTS games....i got board of the concept after Age of Empires. They all seem to be the same game engine with a different graphical look (sort of like a wolf in sheeps clothing).

However some people love this sort of thing and you should really decide for yourself by trying the demo.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 13:45   #12
digger760
King

BTW Transport Tycoon is freely availible on the web..dont waste 5 Euro on it in the bargain basement.
Old 20-09-2004, 14:11   #13
col
King

RRT the original was pretty low res graphics but had gameplay that always had you going back for one more go.

I felt that RRT2 concentrated on pretty graphics aka eyecandy at the expense of gameplay. I found the interface clunky and awkward to use and gave up on it in fairly short order. I bought the expansions from the cheapo bin at the local store but never got round to installing them.

I bought RRT3 but havent installed it!

The TA community is thriving. Lots of mods. Planet Annihilation is the main centre.

http://www.planetannihilation.com/

but there are lots of others. Resource gathering is much less important than strategic decisions and there is a real balance between attack and defence and air, land and sea. A combined assualt is really something. The AI is not bad and will spank you if you take too many liberties.
Old 20-09-2004, 16:12   #14
Socrates
Emperor

I once got Transport Tycoon from the Web, but it felt like a very old game, so I didn't play it much. Now my question : col, do you agree to give me your RT3 game ? The expansion pack to RT3 is called "Coast to Coast" and is free to download (equals to patch 1.4).

What I was wondering about RoN is in what is it considered (maybe on a wrong basis) at the crossroads of civ and traditionnal RTS ? How is it compared to Empire Earth (which I don't know either) ?
Old 20-09-2004, 16:51   #15
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by colI played RRT1 a lot but found 2 and 3 disappointing. ...
Yep, must second that, RRT2 sucks and has weird interface. Have not tried RRT3 and am not going to.

I've tried all recent RTS including Age of Mythology and Warcraft3, they all suck IMO compared to Warcraft2, Age of Empires, and Cossacks. But there are a few decent turn-based war games. I especially liked Shogun: Total war. I played it a lot 2 years ago waiting for Civ3 to be patched. Still have the disks and can send them. The game is somewhat buggy but it is a great fun if you don't focus on these bugs.

I need to upgrade PC to play Doom3, that would certainly be the greatest fun of all.
Old 20-09-2004, 17:43   #16
Dell19
King

I am hoping that Rome Total War won't disappoint...
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 20:03   #17
yndy
Prince

I was just re-playing (for the 4th time I guess) the RT1 campaign the other day and went for a scenario today as well. I looked over the RT2 at a friend but didn't find it worth except for added graphics while I lacked a decent video-card at that time.

Also played Transport Tycoon and Giant but I found some bugs (were there patches to those?) and gave up soon.

I guess I didn't go to the Games shop for a long time, several titles sound appealing but I'm afraid I 'll be dissapointed like with Heroes IV and MOO3.

Are there any Panzer General sequels lately or the title died? I was a great fan of those.
Old 21-09-2004, 17:43   #18
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Google for TTD patch if that is your version. (Transp. Tyc. Deluxe)
Old 22-09-2004, 16:58   #19
digger760
King

link to download Locomotion demo:

http://home.eircom.net/frames/BroadB...com.net/gaming
Old 15-08-2005, 23:58   #20
Socrates
Emperor

I think I'll eventually buy me RT3 after all. I can't believe one whole year has passed already since I started this thread. Basically I can't play Civ3 as much as I used to because of all that annoys me in that game. So, while waiting for Civ4, I think I'm gonna toy with trains.

Oh, and I'm waiting for Heroes V as well, it sounds better than the IV (which is said to be disappointing). I recently played me some III and it felt nice.