Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ProPain's Forum
Home

Old 01-10-2010, 17:31   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default Laptop question

I've had some trouble with my laptop and now HP has offered me a replacement laptop:

My laptop

Replacement offer

This seems like a good upgrade apart from two things

Display:
goes down from 1650*1080 to 1600*900. I read this is quite common nowadays, apparently we all need 16:9 instead of 16:10.
Although I'm losing pixels here this doesn't bother me a lot, I'm thinking less pixels might even mean better performance game wise.

HDMI vs DisplayPort
Instead of HDMI this laptop has DisplayPort. I had never in my life heard of it but apparently this should become quite common in computer appliances. That's all fine and dandy but I use my laptop to watch movies on my TV as well, and my tv has HDMI and not DisplayPort.

There are converters for sale but I;m wondering if anybody can tell me if this will work normally or that this means I'm screwed and need to by a media player or something.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:13   #2
Furiey
King

My new computer has a display port on the graphics card, but it also has HDMI and DVI so I haven't had to use it - good thing as I have not nothing else with a display port. It is apparently going to be the next standard, but I know very little about it.

on the screen height issue I would guess it depends what you mostly do with the laptop. I find the lack of screen height quite frustrating when working with documents or things with a vertical format - the toolbars top and bottom seem to take up so much room there is little left for anything else and it's a bit difficult to rotate the living room TV to stand on end, easier with a laptop but not so good if you're typing on a vertical keyboard
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 18:27   #3
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

BUMP

Looking around it seems the 1650x1050 is heading for retirement. 16:9 will be the standard.

Display port remains an unknown factor to me. Is there anyone who has any experience with this and with conversion cables from DisplayPort to HDMI?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote