Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Romeo's Random Ramblings
Home

Old 20-09-2005, 01:40   #11
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Well, $80 was a fair price. Here you can buy some junk that falls apart after 2 weeks for around $45. That split back axle must have been plastic or wooden.
Old 20-09-2005, 01:44   #12
romeothemonk
King

It was a shiny metal rear axle, that is what surprised me. Not being a metalurgist, or even caring at that point, I had them take it back. I assume it was some anodized aluminum, but I really didn't care. With the rise in gas prices, I am able to pay off the new bike in 9 weeks, so it is still a heck of a bargain.
Old 20-09-2005, 01:59   #13
Swingue
Prince

Hmmm, maybe a chinese bike, they just tested chinese vehicles over here, most dangerous car in 20 years of testing. Chance of instant death at a direct hit is serious while with other cars you can hit a wall at 80km/ hour and walk away.

Good luck with the cycling, if you want to test, come to NL, this country is one big bicycle road.

================================================

Swingue got a new pair of eyes, 20/20 vision now
Old 20-09-2005, 10:36   #14
Pastorius
Custard used tile

You bunch of engine-crazy americans.Re

Remember the last oil crisis? Why havent you got rid of those fuel wasters and started buying cheap-on-fuel japanese cars? Honda or Toyota over GM and Ford
Old 20-09-2005, 14:04   #15
Matrix
Administrator

Although $50,- is nothing, it's still good to take the bike. Much better for the environment.
Old 20-09-2005, 17:03   #16
romeothemonk
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

You bunch of engine-crazy americans.Re

Remember the last oil crisis? Why havent you got rid of those fuel wasters and started buying cheap-on-fuel japanese cars? Honda or Toyota over GM and Ford
1) Because with the stuff that we haul around, a pickup truck makes very good sense. I helped 11 people move with the pickup I had access to, thus saving lots of money for everyone.
2) We Americans are good at Physics. Before you laugh, we know that there are going to be countless 18 wheelers on the Road, along with government officials driving Suburbans and Excursions. A 7,000 lb American Steel Monster gives a survivability of nearly 100%, while the imports survivability is directly linked to pure luck.
3) The foreign cars are built for 5'1" asian guys that weigh around 140 lbs tops. Americans are the largest people on the planet, we want cars that fit us. Detroit provides that.
4) Japan has yet to make a car that looks good and operates well in the American Northern Midwest. Cars that do this well (Mercedes, I know that this is a Euro car) are very pricey, and don't get much better mileage.
5) The ladies dig a pickup man.
6) Americans are stubborn. Stubborn to the point that we think we singlehandedly whipped the Axis in WW2. (The English did a lot of the heavy lifting)
7) Americans really suck at personal finance. Why do you think that credit cards with 20% interest rates are so popular?
8) For me personally, my dream car is a 1973 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible with the Caddy 500 in it, while the wife wants a 69 Dodge Charger. Not exactly efficient either one, but they can really go fast.
Old 20-09-2005, 17:45   #17
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

1) Because with the stuff that we haul around, a pickup truck makes very good sense. I helped 11 people move with the pickup I had access to, thus saving lots of money for everyone.
Oh, and a much more fuel efficient station wagon with a trailer (cheap to rent) wouldn't have done?
Quote:
quote:2) We Americans are good at Physics. Before you laugh, we know that there are going to be countless 18 wheelers on the Road, along with government officials driving Suburbans and Excursions. A 7,000 lb American Steel Monster gives a survivability of nearly 100%, while the imports survivability is directly linked to pure luck.
Not really true - Landrovers and similar stuff don#t usually fare much better in big collisions, and also only true if there IS a significant number of trucks on the road. But if only those who need them bought SUVs and trucks then there'd be quite few there...
Quote:
quote:3) The foreign cars are built for 5'1" asian guys that weigh around 140 lbs tops. Americans are the largest people on the planet, we want cars that fit us. Detroit provides that.
erhm, nope. I am way over 6' and fit nicely into them.

OK, I am NOT 9 month grocery-pregnant, I have to admit that.....
Quote:
quote:4) Japan has yet to make a car that looks good and operates well in the American Northern Midwest. Cars that do this well (Mercedes, I know that this is a Euro car) are very pricey, and don't get much better mileage.
Funny, I know quite a lot of people who have smaller and cheaper cars and are quite satisfied, in the northern Midwest....
Quote:
quote:5) The ladies dig a pickup man.
the ladies are rednecks, then. Or fat (and won't fit into a sporty car).
Quote:
quote:6) Americans are stubborn. Stubborn to the point that we think we singlehandedly whipped the Axis in WW2. (The English did a lot of the heavy lifting)
true
Quote:
quote:7) Americans really suck at personal finance. Why do you think that credit cards with 20% interest rates are so popular?
Well, that's true everywhere - you gus just always bear the full brunt of the attack. When things sweep on into other countries, we are already warned.
Quote:
quote:8) For me personally, my dream car is a 1973 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible with the Caddy 500 in it, while the wife wants a 69 Dodge Charger. Not exactly efficient either one, but they can really go fast.
and what RECENT car would you like???

good thing, btw, that you ride a bike - I wish *I* could go to work by bike!
[/quote]
Old 21-09-2005, 09:13   #18
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Well, not sure how Norwegian weather compares to mid-west weather, but I ll try to disagree with you on something though:

For instance, Renault (do they even sell those over there?) has scored 5/5 in EuroNCAP

And I bet if you buy a Toyota Avensis (if they have em over there), it would be spacious and able to move some stuff around (add possibility to attach something to the back of it of course )

I was guessing it had to do with indoctrination that Made in the US is superior to anything

Anyway, it was meant as a kick to the shin. And a discussion starter. So I guess it worked.

Other than that, I must add that with my 1.82 meters, I am not really small myself either.
I weigh only 78-80kilograms though (which means I have gained some kilos) - nowhere near your heavy self.
Old 21-09-2005, 15:01   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Killer, do you have positive things to say about Americans as well?
Old 21-09-2005, 15:42   #20
Pastorius
Custard used tile

only when drunk :mischief: