Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Colonization 2
Home

Old 30-09-2008, 15:37   #101
Stapel
Emperor

I finished my first game yetserday, playing the Spanish. On conquistador level.

A few things:
-My first colony was only 3 tiles away from the English. Somehow I sensed war. However, without doing too much, I was number 1 in score by a wide wide margin. The English and Aztecs hammered eachother. I did spend about 2 or 3 turns on troops building and took over the English in 4 turns. This was way way too easy.
-Before hitting the Independence button, I switched to massive gun production. All moey earnt by trade was converted to veteran soldiers and cannons. Most colonies were producing cannons too. I hit the red button, while having about 40 dragoons (12 veteran), and 40 cannons. The King had 80 dragoons, 80 cannons and over 200 soldiers. Now comes the really crap part: I beat the hell out of the king by losing only a dozen units...... The AI did every thign wrong:
-Bombing colony A to limited defense bonuses, then doing an ambibious attack on colony B.
-The heaviest defended colonies are most attacked.
-When a colony finally reached 0% bonus, the AI would stop attacking for a few rounds
-The rare amfibious attack survivors were constantly dropped ashore the next turn. This is probaly the most stupid. Landing wounded units in pairs, next to dozens of units.
-The attack waves were rather small. Easy to defend and worse:
-The time limit was nearly a problem. After 10 turns of war, the 100 turns warning came in. You'ld say it would be far away, but the AI did take so much time......
-In the end, I won by defeating all Man-o-Wars. The King still had 50 soldiers left (and a few dragoons and cannons). I did save before sinking the last ship, so I will try to find out if I would have made it otherwise. I doubt it!

In all, I must sadly conclude that the AI is incredibly, incredibly dumb. Way dumber than in 1994. It's only winning strategy seems to be not sendoing troops, so they cannot be defeated......

Some questions:
-What is a Europe victory?
-Can I equip colonists with either guns or horses while they are in Europe?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 15:38   #102
Shabbaman
Administrator

It does. So did PTW by the way. It's not securom in itself that does all these terrible things; it's not as bad as starforce. Securom has different levels of copyright inhibition, such as the limited number of allowed installs that is all the fuss about. This isn't the case with col2.
Old 30-09-2008, 16:21   #103
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

My local game store told me the release is postponed to the 2nd of octobre. So I'm still waiting....
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 16:28   #104
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

My local game store told me the release is postponed to the 2nd of octobre. So I'm still waiting....
I'm as frustrated as you are. Dynabyte in Rotterdam still doesn't have it...
Old 30-09-2008, 16:35   #105
Shabbaman
Administrator

Free Record Shop is selling the game since last wednesday.
Old 30-09-2008, 16:58   #106
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Free Record Shop is selling the game since last wednesday.
Not in Rotterdam. On friday I specifically asked one of the employees at the shop on the Lijnbaan in Rotterdam and they didn't even have it listed in their computer...
Old 30-09-2008, 17:19   #107
Darkness

OK, I'll stop complaining now. Dynabyte just called to say that my order is ready for pick-up...
Old 30-09-2008, 19:10   #108
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

OK, I got it today, just bought in Walmart. Will tell impression later, going to try over the weekend.
Old 01-10-2008, 00:17   #109
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

OK, I'll stop complaining now. Dynabyte just called to say that my order is ready for pick-up...
I'll go there tomorrow then, making my trial copy official.

I never played the original and I love the basic concept of the game. Colonists hard working the land and dealing with the natives while the king asks to kiss his ass for all the hard work.

From what I've read and imho the key is to develop a vital economy while avoiding the king to build his REF. As far as experienced the king maybe doesn't like you denying cash requests but does not seem take this as a reason to attack. Tax increases are another animal however and basically are either kissed on the ass or shut off a much traded whatever.

Another imo is that a very compact colony is the way to go but I still have to finish my second game. Read this as a remote Silver Mine gives a lot of cash but also requires a lot of support.

In my first game I was attacked never but also got stuck at 41% support in the F3 screen. In my second game I'm at about to send three Elder Statemen to each city and got loads of Gunnies and Horsies hidden from the king. He still is at his original REF.

Keep you posted.
Old 01-10-2008, 00:41   #110
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beam

In my second game I'm at about to send three Elder Statemen to each city and got loads of Gunnies and Horsies hidden from the king. He still is at his original REF.
How did you do that? That might be a major exploit!