Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Justus II's forum
Home

Old 03-12-2004, 20:07   #21
Justus II

You have to take the good news with the bad

Our turns of peaceful infrastructure have been progressing nicely. Most major towns now have markets, and our two biggest completed libraries. The FP in Utrecht has been a big boost to our economy. Among the AI, the wonder cascade is nearly dead. Carthage was the main winner, getting Pyramids (good, I’ll want those eventually), Lighthouse, ToA, and MoM. Japan got Oracle and Great Wall. America, on Rome’s continent, got Colossus, Hanging Gardens, and (significantly) the Great Library.

The Good News: Our seafaring trait paid off, as an exploring galley finally made it across the ocean off the southern island, spotting land. After the first turn of crossing, it survived at the yellow dot (the same spot I'd lost a previous attempt). But my first move E revealed two borders, one red to the south, and one blue to the north. I decided to avoid contacting Akot's Romans for now, and see what I could find out about his neighbors first, especially if there were any deals to be made.

56.11KB

What I've discovered so far, is that they were behind my continent in tech. (I didn't know if Akots was behind as well, or if he had just avoided trading with them). America was lacking Currency when I met (although they had all the optionals), and England lacks Math. America has since then gotten Currency (from the Great Library, they had nothing to offer me), England is still behind. Interestingly, America completed the Great Library a turn or two after I met them, but still hasn’t gotten Feudalism. So that tells me that Akots doesn’t have it yet either. So even though (I assume) he’s the one who beat me to Philo for the free tech, and therefore should have gotten Republic faster than me, he hasn’t taken a tech lead for some reason.

The Bad: Once again, the AI beat me to a research subject! Japan got Monotheism in 310BC, when I was down to only 2 turns. (My fault, I guess, for taking time to upgrade some units first…) So of course they traded with Carthage (who had already researched Engineering). I bought Mono from Carthage for 14gpt, and am researching Chivalry in 9 (hopefully dropping a turn or two, I have an older payment to Carthage ending soon). My peace treaty with Japan runs out in 10, and I want to be able to attack immediately, before they get Chivarly and those stubborn Samauri. Even if I wont be able to upgrade most of my horses by then, I’ll have a stack of MDI and cats on the border, ready to take out his Iron on the first turn, then the knights can follow up afterward.
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:04   #22
Justus II

After researching Chivalry I was finally ready for the Second Japan War. Of course, Japan and Carthage got Chivalry the same turn I did so I couldn't get a tech trade for it. My bigger fear was that I would be forced to fight Samuari's and Japan's golden age. However, there were only 3 turns left in our original peace treaty, so I waited it out and hoped. My first move when I declared was to hit his iron with my catapults, but all 4 missed. So I had to send a Watergeus to disconnect it the old-fashioned way. When I got to Kyoto a couple turns later, it seems I was successful, as they still had a Pike showing as defender.

It was still a tough fight. I was only able to upgrade 3 horses by this point, and had 3 MDI, 4 cats, one Elite horse and a couple Watergeus (Swiss Mercs). It got desperate, I lost the horse, a couple MDI, and had to send in one of my Watergeus to finish the last archer, but I was rewarded:

108.05KB

Kyoto had the Oracle, for a short-term happiness boost. More importantly, the GA income allowed me to upgrade my remaining forces (6 more horses, a couple more MDI, and a few stray spears). At this point (10BC) I am at the gates of Tokyo (Great Wall). I've only seen one Samauri, who appears to have died attacking my SoD. It only then dawned on me that their pair of wonders (GW and Oracle) would have already triggered their GA earlier, which is probably how they've been able to keep up in research. Still, not having to face Samauris for defenders was worth it. I also have a small stack approaching one of their northern towns, waiting for the Shield Generator (GW) to go down.

On the other continent, I finally worked my way around, and made contact with Rome. They appeared to have taken a few cities from the Americans, but are a long way from the Great Library city yet. I was suprised to see they were still well behind me in techs. They had hit the Middle Ages, but had no MA techs yet (unless they have Engineering, I can't tell yet). So I was up by at least 3 (Mono, Feud, and Chivarly). America had both Mono and Feudalism, but must have researched them herself. It seems possible for Carthage to contact America now that they have the G. Lighthouse, but no evidence it has happened yet. I'm not interfering in the America-Rome war, although I did sell America Chivalry pretty cheap (3 gpt). []

Here's a look at what I've found so far:

67.61KB
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote