Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 01-08-2008, 19:09   #1
Tubby Rower

Default Mac vs PC

How many of you use macs? I've always used a PC because it was cheaper. Since I don't play computer games like Civ anymore I don't have a need for a PC. So I started questioning whether a mac would suit my needs more. The only applications that I presently use is MS Money and Garmin's mapsource software. Other than that I check my email and surf the net (play browser based games).

So I have a group of friends that, seemingly, a lot of them own and love macs. I'm not sure if you get a kool-aid cup with the purchase, but they seem to be ready to jump off of a cliff for a mac. I got a chance to use one this past Wednesday and started to do research on it. My computer now is fairly old and I'd like to get a new one soon, but not immediately.

So.. any bad comments, good ones?
Old 01-08-2008, 19:36   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

I think if you go for a different OS than windows, it has to be linux. Linux is free, which is about as cheap as it gets. If you want to take the fuss it takes to go for a non-windows OS, you need an upside. Linux has that upside. Not only is it cheap, apparently it is very good.

On the other hand, Apple is apparently very user friendly. Personally I don't care for user friendliness, as long as I can get it to work. Apple does have a major downside: it's expensive. Incompatibility issues you might get around, but you still have to empty your wallet. It might look good, but it has a corresponding price. Besides, incompatibility overcompensates any user friendliness.

On a sidenote, the general stereotype of a Mac user is that of someone that puts too much emphasis on style/form, and has a big wallet.

But I'm puzzled by your post: you don't need a PC besides for email and internet, but you want to buy a new computer? Email and internet work just as fine on very old computers.

By the way, Colonization 2 won't work on Mac...
Old 01-08-2008, 19:54   #3
Tubby Rower

well my current PC is whirring in a death spiral. It'll probably last me a good bit longer, but I decided to start research now that I was thinking about it. As far as the user friendliness, it does need to be fairly friendly as my wife is very anti-computer yet enjoys checking her email and some friends blogs.

I did leave out one other thing, we take a ton of pictures and the organization that iLife '08 has for pictures is very impressive. The tools that come with it are probably all we would need.

So in summary, I don't NEED a new computer (currently). I was trying to keep an open mind. I haven't seen Linux since college so I'm not sure how well my wife would be be compatible with it.
Old 01-08-2008, 20:11   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

OK, so you're actually looking for a system that's very good with pictures. Any plans for editing digital movies as well?
Old 01-08-2008, 20:25   #5
Tubby Rower

well I don't have a digital video recorder, but I do have a video capture board on my present PC and before getting a new computer, I'll either ensure that it'll be able to be moved to the new computer or burn all videos to digital format before letting our current computer collect dust. I did look at that part of the iLife and being able to coordinate photos, videos, and music with the pre-loaded software is impressive.

as far as your (probably correct) stereotype of "puts too much emphasis on style/form, and has a big wallet", I'm not sure I fit in any of those... but the new Macs definately aren't the apples I played Oregon Trail on in grade school.

I know it's early, but my kids are turning into artsy-fartsy kids. My daugher draws equisity, dances, and tries to sing, and my boy definately didn't get his rhythm from me. So once they get older, at least my daughter will likely start doing art projects and such on the computer. But that's not an immediate concern.
Old 01-08-2008, 20:27   #6
Tubby Rower

I went and looked at the Linux website and started reading there. I'd be a bit concerned that I'd be in the category of "knows enough to screw things up". I guess, I'd rather just get something fairly "out of the box" and not have to set things up too much. With Linux, don't you have the same compatibility issues that you would have with Mac OS?
Old 01-08-2008, 20:41   #7
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

I went and looked at the Linux website and started reading there. I'd be a bit concerned that I'd be in the category of "knows enough to screw things up". I guess, I'd rather just get something fairly "out of the box" and not have to set things up too much. With Linux, don't you have the same compatibility issues that you would have with Mac OS?
Jsut DL the Ubuntu Live CD and play around for a while without installing and no HD space is required (but iirc you can't bookmark and other things). If you like it installation is one mouseclick away and it will find its own way if you got some HD space left. All for free!
Old 01-08-2008, 22:39   #8
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

The main problem with MAC is that if you need a decent piece of software for editing pictures/movies/music, you would have to buy it. It would be overpriced and with limited compatibility/abilities. Whereas for Unix and in most cases for PC, you can get the better software essentially for free or for pennies. That iLife is a very-very basic and limited engine. Also, MAC is not very friendly for upgrade and again, even if you are able to find the parts, the price might be beyond reasonable. Also, based on the experience I have with some people at working owning it, the customer service and warranty are not as nice as they were 10 years ago.

Their laptops though is another story. These however, suffer from the same limited capabilities and difficulties upgrading but it is more common among the laptops and the price is more reasonable than for desktops.

So, staying away might be a good idea. As for the basic needs which you have now, they will probably expand exponentially in the near future especially considering the kids and you'd be choking on your MAC in a couple of years due to lack of space, compatibility with new devices, and speed. Whereas with PC/Unix, you can at any time plug in a new graphics card or hard drive, more memory or new faster cpu, and it will be just like buying a new computer.
Old 02-08-2008, 00:51   #9
Tubby Rower

so if there are all of these issues with macs, ant ideas as to why are the kool-aid drinkers so fanatic about it? beside moron-dom
Old 05-08-2008, 03:14   #10
Whomp
King

The only people I know who have them are either in design or education. There was a guy in my office who quit working with us so he could work full time at the Apple Store. He said that he had no problem convincing people how a Mac was cheaper than a PC with Windows. Personally, I think it's as much anti Microsoft sentiment as anything else.

Hi Tubs!