A non-industrious civ can perform 2 BWT per game turn
An industrious civ can perform 3 BWT per game turn
A non-industrious slave works a 1 BWT per turn
An industrious slave works a 2 BWT per turn*

Other Bonus
Anarchy – work half speed**
Democracy – work at 1½ times speed.
Fascism – work at double speed.
Replaceable parts – doubles worker speed.

* An industrious slave works at 1BWT unless the government is democratic or has discovered Replacable parts (not sure if just discovery of democracy is required or the gov has to be in power to apply)
** Slaves and Workers seem to work at 1BWT whilst in Anarchy, until the discovery of Replaceable parts. After which they work at 1/2 the BWT described above whilst in Anarchy. Although due to the numbers and rounding in the equation below. This means slaves always end up at 1BWT during Anarchy. Workers fare up a bit better.

The actual number of turns =
roundup((Tile Movement Penalty * BWT )/ rounddown(WorkerSpeed * Bonuses))

eg...an industrious, facist worker with replacable parts building a road on a mountain

Move Penalty = 3
BWT = 6
WorkerSpeed = 3 * 2(facist) * 2(replaceble parts) = 12

thus it should take (3*6)/12 = 1.5 turns to build a road on a mountain...which will be rounded to 2

EDIT: Updated for industrious slave bug, Update for the effect of post replacable parts on worker speed during anarchy

digger760

digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 18:10   #2
anarres
anarchist butcher

heh, I noticed somone multiplied all the BWT by 2 so that you don't have fractions of BWT's, but they got the BWT's-per-worker numbers wrong.

First half all the BWT numbers (to their correct values).
Now use this:
A non-industrious civ can perform 1 BWT per game turn
An industrious civ can perform 1.75 BWT per game turn *
A non-industrious slave works a 0.5 BWT per turn
An industrious slave works a 0.5 BWT per turn **

Also x2 all of these when Rep Parts is known (also see below for industrious slave behaviour with Rep Parts).

* Prior to C3C this value was 2 BWT
** An industrious civ's slave workers in Civ3 (prior to 1.27) and C3C (all versions) have a value of 0.5 (incorrectly - this is a known bug). However, when you have replacable parts this value becomes 2 for Civ3, and 1.75 for C3C (the proper industrious slave cost, x2 for Rep Parts). Most annoyingly this bug was fixed in PTW, but reintroduced for C3C

Check numbers with this, they should all check out.
Old 17-11-2004, 18:15   #3
Kemal

Are you sure these numbers are correct digger?

Iirc, industrious slave workers are not as fast as non-industrious regulars, because the 50% bonus is rounded down... so that would mean if a non-indus, regular worker = 1 worker turn, a slave is 0.5, and an industrious slave is 0.7, since the 0.75 gets rounded down. Therefore, you need 5 slaves (industrious) to get a road done in 1 turn without any other bonuses, and only 3 regular workers without any other bonuses.
As a matter of fact, you'd also only need 6 regular slave workers, which makes industrious slaves only a tiny bit more competent than their non-industrious counterparts.

I'm not really an expert though on worker figures, these numbers come from my own (sp) experiences...

Btw, shouldn't there also be a clear jungle in the worker actions, for 24 turns?

edit: looks like anarres beat me to it.
Old 17-11-2004, 18:26   #4
Kemal

Wow, I didn't know about those pre-rep parts slaves anar, great info!

But about the industrious civ's speed, isn't it toned down to a 50% increase compared to a regular civ...? Or am I wrong here again?

My industrious regular workers seems to be chopping jungles at 16 turns... so that would seem to suggest he works 50% faster no?
Old 17-11-2004, 19:08   #5
anarres
anarchist butcher

In the beta the industrious civ was definitely 1.75 BWT for most of the testing. I guess they turned it down to 1.5, which I find quite worrying.

Also, I checked the editor to find this value but I can't see it. OTOH I did see the "base worker turns" for actions, and indeed in the editor they are x2 of what I've said (this must have been so they could keep integer arithmetic pre-C3C, with all workers using whole BWT's).

Based on this my earlier post should read:

A non-industrious civ can perform 2 BWT per game turn
An industrious civ can perform 3 BWT per game turn *
A non-industrious slave works a 1 BWT per turn
An industrious slave works a 1 BWT per turn **

Also x2 all of these when Rep Parts is known (also see below for industrious slave behaviour with Rep Parts).

* Prior to C3C this value was 4 BWT
** An industrious civ's slave workers in Civ3 (prior to 1.27) and C3C (all versions) have a value of 1 (incorrectly - this is a known bug). However, when you have replacable parts this value becomes 4 for Civ3, and 3 for C3C (the proper industrious slave cost, x2 for Rep Parts). Most annoyingly this bug was fixed in PTW, but reintroduced for C3C.
Old 17-11-2004, 19:17   #6
anarres
anarchist butcher

Also, all workers act as slaves in anarchy, and workers BTW values get x1.5 for democracy and x2 for fascism.

Note that the editor has double the values I just quoted for government types, so that just means they have another x0.5 modifier in there to make them nice integers.

digger - I looked at your example and it is correct! 1.5 turns is exactly right, which gets rounded to 2. Of course if it was just a republic and also not industrious you can factor them out:
1.5 x 1.5(indus) x 2(gov type) = 4.5 turns.

Now if you factor out rep parts you get 4.5 x 2 = 9 turns, which is what you expect, so the numbers all make sense.
Old 17-11-2004, 23:20   #7
digger760
King

The BWT are straight out of the Editor..there is no clear jungle in there either..i guess it is the same clear wetlands.
Old 17-11-2004, 23:25   #8
digger760
King

I guessed the part about industrious slaves.

my BWT per tile and BWT-per-worker are all doubled so as to avoid fractions...basically it all cancels out at the end
Old 17-11-2004, 23:33   #9
Socrates
Emperor

And there you see why Maya is currently not a good civ : the industrious trait is already well toned down from Vanilla/PTW, and their slaves (mostly captured by Javelin throwers) are just regular slaves, wasting the industrious trait part of their special ability. That's why Mayans still have to build many workers... wasting their agricultural trait instead. Well, CFC should cry, not me !
Old 17-11-2004, 23:57   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I was personally more impressed with peculiar comparison of the starting locations. And I would also advise the IDG-2 mapmaker not to show up in RL around CFC team members. The said person will be probably severealy beaten and very likely will die because of injuries inflicted by him on his own self. That is indeed a very minor factor compared to workers. I would sell at least 5 workers for a wheat or cow on start, so wheat+cow cost probably 15-20 workers around 10AD. I'm puzzled how come that CFC team is still alive.

I hope I have not disclosed any relevant important information regarding IDG-2 here.