Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 22-12-2004, 10:00   #11
ERIKK

Looks great although if we decide to play with more than 4 players and not all civs are strong -
then some people will have a disadvantage. Not fun!

If we play with 4 people we can pick the 4 strongest. You have to inform us which are strong.

Justus; can the AI handle more than 8 players in this scenario started in PBEM? I mean, as far as
I know you can only have 8 players in a PBEM so using the large map would be a non issue. Using
the small map and narrow it down to 8 players is the reasonable option then (as you said).

ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 21:45   #12
Justus II

The 8 civs in PBEM is hard-coded, no getting around that. As for the relative strength of the civs, here's my off-the-cuff rankings, and why:

Egypt- Great wonder (ToE effect, available from start or can be delayed to grab some early 2nd-age techs), Very fertile starting terrain
Babylon- Fertile starting terrain, civ-specific improvment allows cheap culture early, when most other civs will get no expansions until late in the first age, and even then it's very expensive.
Medes- Very powerful in hands of human (IMHO), as they start with the availability of revolting into Deiko's rule, their version of Monarchy. Also can build an Intel Agency type wonder from start. (Should be a lot of fun to play, though...)
Persia- Strong wonder (SoZ-type), also allows a second city to produce vet units.
Hittites- Very powerful wonder (stronger version of Ironworks), they can usually build that then grab whichever other wonders they want.
Assyria- Two wonders together can make them a research powerhouse, decent start location.
Lydia- Get a cheap early wonder (Wall-street effect), so they usually are an early cash cow.
Israel, Troy- Average
Mycenae, Minoans, Phoenicians- Decent civs, but their abilities tend toward seafaring. Great advantage on the Med map, as they can quickly colonize islands for luxuries, but on this map it's limited.
Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 21:47   #13
grs
The Nameless One

Ok, I would like the Fertile Crescent map and play Persia if that is ok.
Old 22-12-2004, 23:03   #14
ERIKK

Me too, I would like the Egyptians!

I guess all we need are Krys' preferred civ and yours Justus and then
you or Krys (the organizer) can set things up.

Or will we wait for more players? What will we do, Krys?

BTW: the spread sheet is very usefull!

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] TAM-Stats25j.zip
54.45*KB

ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 23:19   #15
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Justus II, I am prepared to fight my way through the barbarians. I never liked green anyway []

Though I am not taking part in this slugfest of many great warleaders - I am glad to gain some info on the mod.

ERIKK: I test ran Fertile Crescent with Egypt, and steamrolled BRITONS ) in the Sahara. WTF did the Britons do in Sahara where Nubia should be?

Anyway. The might and speed of the war chariot is even more fun than in the epic game. I got a very good empire without giving any effort to micromanaging, so add some careful analysis as well, and you ll wrap up all the other wankers easily )
Old 22-12-2004, 23:43   #16
Justus II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

ERIKK: I test ran Fertile Crescent with Egypt, and steamrolled BRITONS ) in the Sahara. WTF did the Britons do in Sahara where Nubia should be?
If using the Fertile Crescent map, Culturally Linked Starting Locations MUST be checked, otherwise it randomly assigns civs (from the TAM subset) to the pre-set starting positions. Not sure why that is, but we confirmed it in testing, and there is (should be) a note in the Readme file about it.

I'll leave it to Krys to choose his civ, and I'll take one of the remaining. It seems everyone is going for a corner civ (depending on Krys' choice), which may work out well, and leave all 4 AI in the middle. We will also need to decide which of the remaining civs will be AI, out of the paired neighbor civs..

Old 22-12-2004, 23:50   #17
Socrates
Emperor

Hey, seems this one is speeding up. I'm afraid I'll have to cool you down because I'm leaving on December 25 in the evening, until January 2 in the morning. I'd prefer to start this game during the first week of January. For the civs, I'll think about it when I get back, maybe other players may want to join this game ?

BTW I really wonder why the Assyrians are considered scientific. While preparing my never-to-come mod, I realized that real scientific civs were rare and thus hard to assign, but in this mod you even give them scientific advantages !? Apart from Ashurbanipal's Library (which was a royal attempt at collecting ancient knowledge), I don't know what they did, if we forget real military progress.
Old 23-12-2004, 02:04   #18
Justus II

All questions on Civ trait assignments should be directed to Thamis. He designed the original civs, and the traits were written in stone. The only changes we made related to traits were re-assigning starting techs to a)incorporate the C3C traits and b) be more standardized across civs. I believe at one point there was some discussion that the Assyrians were being given some credit for Sumerian heritage as well, since they aren't represented in the mod, and one of the Assyrian wonders is the Gilgamesh Epic. So it is somewhat of a combination.

As to start time, January is fine with me, I hope to be busy with Rome:Total War in a couple days (I already know my brother-in-law bought it for me for Christmas). That would also give those not as familiar with the mod some time to play around in SP mode, if they want.

BTW (Shameless plug here) Watorrey is preparing to sponsor a TAM-of-the-Month event at his own website, www.watorrey.net, which should kick off next week. Feel free to join in, or at least read some of the spoiler/report threads once it starts to get a better feel for the mod.
Old 23-12-2004, 02:26   #19
Socrates
Emperor

Yeah, thamis, why did you make the fucking Assyrians the most scientific civ in your mod ? Not dare answer ? Fine. OK, noted for the Sumerian heritage, though I wonder why the Babylonians don't get credit for the heritage. OK, I stop with my comments.

Yes feel free to explore this mod, I don't need to, I'm the genius of the lamp. TAM of the Month ? But how can I play all my PBEMs to come, RBCiv Epics to come, my conquests on solo, GOTMs to piss off ainwood because I'm so good but like to bypass CFC's censure ? We'll see...

(I'm somewhat excited and nervous at the moment, this post wanted a lot of weird sentences and smileys.)
Old 23-12-2004, 02:36   #20
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Assyrians ... scientific ... Looks rather peculiar to me. I know some modders sometimes go heavy on beer and all other modders go heavy on wine or stronger beverages and those modders who don't use other drugs. So, may be just "the inspiration demanded" that Assyria is scientific. Well, somebody has to be scientific after all.