Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 19-07-2007, 16:42   #1
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.
Default BtS causes Version Mismatch in MP + Workaround

Title says it.

I found this out yesterday and had to reinstall the whole Civ 4 (except BtS) to resolve the issue and play my turn in the Rule the World Pitboss.

IglooDude got responses on a thread on that other side that Vanilla and Warlords are autopatched by the BtS installer. No patching by BtS has been announced btw.

This most likely means that if you install BtS you won't be able to play your Pitbosses because of the version mismatch.

I do not think there will be any suppport until after official release dates.

The work around is a dual install. It basically comes down to copying your existing Civ 4 install (Vanilla plus Warlords about 2 GB) prior to installing BtS:

1) Create a new directory in Program Files. It could be anywhere but this is a logical place. Let's call it Civ4copy in this How-to.

2) Copy / paste directory Sid Meier's Civilization 4 from Firaxis Games to Civ4copy

3) Basically you could start the Civ4copy version from the dir now but it is more convenient to create a dedicated Desktop Icon. Go to your Desktop and look for the Icon that launches your Civ 4 versions. Copy / paste one of these icons. Rightclick the new icon and in the Target box look for \Firaxis Games\ and replace this with \Civ4copy\. In my case I changed "E:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Civ4Warlords.exe" to "E:\Program Files\Civ4copy\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Civ4Warlords.exe". Repeat for the other icon.

4) Test if it works. A good test is to rename the .exe files in the Firaxis Games folder then launch with your new icons. Don't forget to rename them back correctly after testing!

5) Install BtS.

Patching with the mechanism 2k has been using so far will NOT patch the copy you created. We are using this to our advantage now but it might be a limitation in the future. I really hope they got their act together by that time.

Both installs will use the same directories and files in the My Games section. As fas as I've tested now there wasn't a need to create duplicates there but this might change of course.

Beam out.

EDIT: There appear to be issues with the Warlords 2.1.3 patch even without BtS. Imo making the dual install and play MP from the copied version allows for both uninterrupted MP, playing BtS and making the patches work on your gear. In other words double install and a couple of puzzles, looking at what is in BtS looks very promising so I say worth the effort.
Old 19-07-2007, 16:45   #2
grahamiam
Emperor

Is it possible to duel-install Civ4 like we used to for various versions of Civ 3 and C3C when they were going thru the patching process?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 16:46   #3
BCLG100
Deity

well that sucks balls. i can only hope people who im involved in a war with across my pitboss games get bts and then ill reign fire down on them!

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 16:49   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

found it

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...t=dual+install

Beam, can you try this and see if BtS now works?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 17:32   #5
BCLG100
Deity

beam also has the fun of working around linux to play it!

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 19-07-2007, 17:47   #6
Beam
c00l b33r

I already started that path, thanks for the effort grahamian!

For some reason I can't connect to the host atm (RtW). But I'm gonna test now what the BtS buggar install does with the copy.
Old 19-07-2007, 17:55   #7
BCLG100
Deity

Just checked that one for you beam, me either- i can connect but not finish connecting to the host.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 19-07-2007, 18:08   #8
Beam
c00l b33r

So with a copy of the original install made and BtS installed I can start 2 different versions of Warlords. But we can only be 100% sure if we can go thru a full connection cycle with the host.

Matrix!
Old 19-07-2007, 18:18   #9
Tubby Rower

according to alexman @ the other site (an apparent insider) the patches were intended to be release simultaneous with the BtS release, but due to miscommunication they were not.
Old 19-07-2007, 18:25   #10
Beam
c00l b33r

LMAO

Gamecopyworld already has a no-CD patch for the Vanilla .exe. The Firaxis part of BtS may be very good but 2k's as distributor is a joke. A very bad joke. Inclding the enforced silence prior to release.