Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 10-11-2005, 12:31   #1
digger760
King

Default Need to Upgrade Your Graphics Card 4 Civ4?

Thinking of upgrading your graphics card?
I think the Nvidia 6600 offers the best value.

Here is the latest offering from XFX, which has DDR2 ram. Fater and cheaper than GDDR1 ram on most 6600 card offerings. And overclockable too!! So if your game enough to overclock you can get a card that is cheaper and faster than a stock 6600 GT

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...109/index.html

digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 13:28   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

I already got a geforce 6600 The AGP version was brand new when I got it.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:26   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

I have gforce 5700, after a problem occured with the gforce4 (fan falling off etc)
It certainly is not a new card, but I hope it covers my needs

and I experience occational hiccups running wonder movies. I think it is mostly music related (need to update drivers when connection is back up)

Also, transition from ingame to diplo view seems slow. Might be related to pagefile being too small.

Anyway, I allowed myself a test run as I got it on wednesday. No weird insert cd problems, experienced the city gifting bug, had no AI gang up on me, and won spacerace on noble.

Hm. Come to think of it, end video had same problems as wonder videos. An nvidia update might do the trick when connection is back up (est. 21.11.2005 now...tsk tsk)

My head hurt by then because I had been reading all day.

My fiancee gets home from Barcelona tomorrow, so I ll ask her to lock the game up for me.

Erm..I went quite a bit off topic on this one. sorry
Old 14-11-2005, 13:53   #4
Darkness

Computer idiot needing help!

Considering my graphics card (Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller) is not good enough for Civ4 (according to the systems check), I have been looking around a bit on the net to see what kind of problems I might have. Since I don't have T&L, I'll probably suffer from the "Dark Terrain" problem.
Now I don't have the game yet (stupid play.com... ), but reports at that other site lead me to that conclusion.

So, now I have two options:

1 - Wait and see if Firaxis does anything about it (like people are hoping at that other site. (I think that's unlikely as it's a systems requirements related problem)

2 - Get a new graphics card.

Option two however, is problematic. I am a complete idiot when it comes to computer hardware, so I can use all suggetions and comments you're all willing to give.
It is my understanding that there are different types of conncetions for different graphics cards, correct?

So how can I check my computer for what kind of possible connections I have? And thus, what kind of graphics card I should get?
Old 14-11-2005, 14:21   #5
Shabbaman
Administrator

IIRC you have the same graphics card like Stapel has. If it is integrated on the MB you're fucked.
Old 14-11-2005, 14:34   #6
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

IIRC you have the same graphics card like Stapel has. If it is integrated on the MB you're fucked.
Because if it is, I can't add another?
Old 14-11-2005, 14:58   #7
digger760
King

Integrated graphics - means its on a chip soldered to the board. That does not mean you are fucked. If you have a AGP slot or new PCI express slot then you can add a graphics card to your system.

PCI Express is very knew, so i will assume you do not have this. Unless you bought a cheap Dell PC then chances are you will have an AGP slot. I'm not sure if its possible to tell if you have an AGP slot via windows. There is probably something in the Bios. But if if you have easy access to your motherboard, then the AGP slot sits next to (above) the PCI slots but is shorter in length (and normally the slot is a different colour as well).
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 15:04   #8
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Integrated graphics - means its on a chip soldered to the board. That does not mean you are fucked. If you have a AGP slot or new PCI express slot then you can add a graphics card to your system.

PCI Express is very knew, so i will assume you do not have this. Unless you bought a cheap Dell PC then chances are you will have an AGP slot. I'm not sure if its possible to tell if you have an AGP slot via windows. There is probably something in the Bios. But if if you have easy access to your motherboard, then the AGP slot sits next to (above) the PCI slots but is shorter in length (and normally the slot is a different colour as well).
You're already close to losing me...

I do have Dell PC and it wasn't exactly cheap (though I didn't exactly go for an "Ultimate gaming PC" or whatever).

I think I'll open up my PC when I get home tonight and see if I can make any sense of it...

Thanks for the help so far...
Old 14-11-2005, 15:13   #9
grahamiam
Emperor

what model Dell was it?
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 15:24   #10
Darkness

Dimension 3000 IIRC...