Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 19-05-2003, 08:52   #1
digger760
King

Default Rise of Nations

This is just a Monday mornign rant for me, about my dissapointment of the rise of nations demo. If its to early in the week for you to here ranting them skip this topic.

I used to like RTS games like Dune, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires and Cossacks, but after a while it all became, a game of mass troops and attack, the only difference was the graphics...Cossaks was slightly different, where the number of units you could build was far more than all the others i'd seen...it was fun to watch thousands of little guys mashing each other. But like all before them after 3 or 4 games i got bored.

I got the rise of nations demo last friday and have been giving it a lashing and sadly to me it seems similar to the rest. Maybe cos you can only play 1 on 1 vs a stupid computer in the demo...maybe the MP is better, i never got to see the diplomacy side of things and never got past the middle ages cos the enemy was so weak. Another thing that bugged me was it was all over in an hour, i never really got settled in to the game like civ. You end up rushing around building units and buildings withough much thought into planning, then suddenly you relise you have the edge over the enemy and off you go and crush them.

With this game there is not much of a chance of ancient era battles...it seems to boil down to a race to advance tech and build you army until you are big enough to beat them up.

I think i must be a control freak, where i have exact say over every unit and city. What is it about civ that draws me back game after game.

Oh well, i liked the close combat series, maybe fronline command will take my interest.

digger760
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 09:51   #2
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

If you like a RTS that's more about strategy and less about massing units you should try Starcraft and the SC brood war add-on. Still the best RTS imho. It's quite old so graphics are outdated but it remains a great game and I still return to it from time to time. Before cheating on battle net became rampant I played online for hours.

WC3 is nice also, although I dont like it as much as SC. WC3 has quite a hefty food cap so massing units isn't possible (without modding).

ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 10:07   #3
digger760
King

it think its me and RTS which involve collecting resources and building that don't mix. I bought WC3, but never really played it.

I must admit that the graphics look great, and i liked the sounds of 20 or so Muskateers shooting away at the zulus, i was trying to get the machine gun developed but i won by domination to soon... dammit.

I would say anybody who loves RTS will love this game. Although i think i would like it more than WC3...you never know i still might buy it...i hav'nt really stopped to look at what all the buttons do yet. Oh and another thing i noticed, the zulu towns i took over were classified as large cities, where as all i had were small towns..i wonder how i can get bigger towns, does it affect my income....these are the kind of things that draw me back for another game.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote