Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 10-01-2005, 02:22   #1
Black_Waltz

Default New PBEM - Rise of Rome Conquest

Hello all. Finally got back with a new computer and my intrest in Civ III has returned. Probably no-one remembers me here, but never mind. :-p

Anyway, I've been reading some of the spoilers for PBEM games using the Conquests on C3C. They looked quite intresting and I was wondering if anyone would care to join me in a game of one of them? My intrests lie more with the Japaneese Scenario and Rise of Rome, but if anyone wanted to suggest diffrent Conquests I would be willing to listen.

At the minute I'm leaving this pretty open. Just want to get a feel of the activity on the boards and intrest in a game.

Edit: Right. Seems that Rise of Rome would be a good Conquest to play. So far there is intrest in Rome and Carthage. However, I am willing to be flexible if someone else would wish to be Carthage.

The Red Flag
Black_Waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:24   #2
Socrates
Emperor

Hello. I don't remember you, but I'm quite interested in your idea. I have so far only played the first two conquests (BTW I should start the 3rd one someday ), so I know Rise of Rome well now. I'm OK for a PBEM about that one with 3 other players, we'd just need to discuss the rules. Veterans, please step in to advise us ! Oh, I'd prefer to play as Rome, yes, I like it.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05   #3
Black_Waltz

Rise of Rome would be fun. But yes, some input from those that play regularly would be well recieved. *grins* Would be intrested in playing as Carthage or the... Ageans (I think that is who they are - have not played that conquest for an age).

Anyway, I suppose the major rules for discussion would be accelerated production, etc. Now myself... I'm not really keen on Accelrated Production. It seems to throw the balance of the game askew. Then again I'm not sure whether the speed of PBEM's would be adequate for us to get through it this millenia. :-p

Anyway, I will now change the topic since we have decided on a Conquest. We are now awaiting two more players.

The Red Flag
Old 12-01-2005, 22:16   #4
Stapel
Emperor

Count me in!

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 22:17   #5
Stapel
Emperor

I'll be Persians.

Old 13-01-2005, 00:11   #6
anarres
anarchist butcher

I'll play, I'll be whoever no-one wants.
Old 13-01-2005, 01:02   #7
Socrates
Emperor

Cool ! anarres, I suppose you'll play as Macedon... or Carthage, after re-reading Black_Waltz's post.

Here are my requirements : I don't want to play with accelerated production, I don't want to hear about it. The game will already be quite speedy as it is. Level : dunno, really, maybe Deity, so that the tech learning lasts more than a few dozens of turns ? Normal AI agression, and I think we're set, if everybody agrees.

I'm waiting for more input, and could start the game on Friday evening (I'm Rome = player 1), so that to be sure everything is set.

Oh, an important thing : what about abandonning palace ? Being a fan of RBCiv rules, I'm against it. I'm thinking of it because I know the Persian player is usually tempted to move his capital to his center. I believe it was designed with that in mind, and I believe that Persia is too strong otherwise. I'd like Stapel and veteran players to speak up on this issue.
Old 13-01-2005, 01:15   #8
anarres
anarchist butcher

Before we start I'd like to know if there are any other rules that anyone wants to play with. Also, what is our commitment to be - how often are we expected to play turns?

My only real desire is to try to play 1 turn a day, but it will all depend on the turn order and when each of us is available in the day.
Old 13-01-2005, 03:07   #9
Black_Waltz

One turn a day will be great. I have no life so thankfully I'm always near a machine.

Anyway, if Anares does not mind I will be Carthage. That will mean the players/civs are:

kryszcztov: Rome
Black_Waltz: Carthage
Stapel: Persians
Anarres: Macedon

Eepies! Quite a lot of skillful players! Should be good fun. :-p

As for options. I'm fine with Accelerated Production off and have no other qualms. Deity may be a tad high for me, though. I would be willing to try it, though. With this scenario more-so focusing on interaction between the humans it may not be that bothersome to me. I will try the scenario tonight and see how I fare.

As for other rules... I do rather have a problem with people placing units around the edges of islands in order to stop sea landings. This is an obvious problem in this conquest due to the lack of an amphibeous attacking unit. So I suggest that we outlaw the intentianal use of this or maybe limit it so that you may only blockade high defence tiles, so that an enemy may not offload their units directly onto a mountain.

Also, locked war. With Carthage/Rome and Macedon/Persia in locked war it can be tempting for the human players to negotiate a peace which seems a tad outwith of the games spirit. Of course, there is the fact that this does not automaticaly lead to no conflict as the domination limit must be acheived somehow... Should we allow truce making to be allowed between locked war parterners?

Oh. And I agree with outloawing the abandon palace exploit.

Hmmm... I think I've covered everything. I'd appreciate feedback to the two issues I've highlighted and if everything is ok I will be ready to play Friday evening. Thankies muchly for agreeing to play.

Email: black_waltz -at- tiscali.co.uk

The Red Flag
Old 13-01-2005, 09:03   #10
Stapel
Emperor

To clear things up:
abandoning a palace is is nono.
Abandoning any other city is ok.