Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 10-07-2014, 19:18   #41
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
It's overrated anyway: it's only 4 years since we won a semi, but it's the first time in 9 years we won a tour stage.
ROFL, so true. Boom made my day.

I agree with socra though, it was a hideous match to watch.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:55   #42
Matrix
Administrator

Neither team deserved to win that match. And it's funny how most Dutchmen now support our archenemy Germany in the final. The sympathy is not mutual though, as a German has explained to me.

The Tour interests me as much as my asswipe.
Old 11-07-2014, 18:51   #43
Socrates
Emperor

I quite don't get the neighbour archenemy thing. I supported Germany in the semi and will support them again in the final. Even though they invaded us 3 times in the past and beat us in the quarter.
The hatred feeling between Brazil and Argentina disgusts me, because it's way past just the joke.
Old 13-07-2014, 10:09   #44
Shabbaman
Administrator

So that is what you get when you play teams who keep space between their lines (although it would be hard to call Brazil a team). Hurray for teams who don't stick to their penalty box like they're glued to it. If only Argentina had had the slightest attacking interest... What set this match apart was that the Dutch midfield actually got into the box. I'm not sure why we hadn't seen that before: it could've been the quality of the opponent's midfielders (marking is not a concept known to Brazilians, apparently), it could've been Sneijder, but I suspect it's that the Dutch midfielders aren't good enough, or experienced enough, or too scared by their coach to leave their positions. Pity, but this was nice to watch.

This tournament has made me wonder how to assess the quality of players: here, the Dutch defenders have been the laughing stock of the whole nation for years: how could any player from the Dutch league ever achieve anything on the world stage? I'm thoroughly impressed. Is club football that much better than national team football? It's hard to picture a club being lightyears apart from some teams. I mean, Spain is half Barcelona and half Real Madrid, that doesn't put that team below the level of the Dutch league. Yet that David Luiz is going to PSG for 50M, and you can buy the complete Dutch defense for that amount of money. And David Luiz doesn't even know how to play football!
Old 13-07-2014, 11:24   #45
Socrates
Emperor

It's true that knowing that Silva and Luiz will play as central defenders for PSG next season is scary. Hopefully within a few months' time, this nightmare will be behind them.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:00   #46
Shabbaman
Administrator

I doubt they learn how to mark in that time.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:19   #47
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I agree with both your posts Shabba.

I also think the whole national league being below par for the WC debate is taking the wrong angle. After seeing the dutch defense perform so well I;m starting to think that the low level of the dutch league is simply not pushing these young players to their limits enough and therefore halting their development. Maybe a better competition that forces them to step up their game is needed.

I suppose Blatter has the Algerian vote secured for the next chairman election, cause surely some other neutral referee that was competent for a match this level must be available. Instead we got this joker. And he even got a medal for it, hilarious.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 12:30   #48
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
After seeing the dutch defense perform so well I;m starting to think that the low level of the dutch league is simply not pushing these young players to their limits enough and therefore halting their development.
Perhaps it's the lack of opposition that makes players in the Dutch league complacent in league matches. But Dutch teams are performing so poorly in EL matches that it seems the level of those clubs is very low. It's very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
I suppose Blatter has the Algerian vote secured for the next chairman election, cause surely some other neutral referee that was competent for a match this level must be available. Instead we got this joker. And he even got a medal for it, hilarious.
This was really pathetic.
Old 14-07-2014, 01:26   #49
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
This tournament has made me wonder how to assess the quality of players: here, the Dutch defenders have been the laughing stock of the whole nation for years: how could any player from the Dutch league ever achieve anything on the world stage? I'm thoroughly impressed. Is club football that much better than national team football? It's hard to picture a club being lightyears apart from some teams. I mean, Spain is half Barcelona and half Real Madrid, that doesn't put that team below the level of the Dutch league. Yet that David Luiz is going to PSG for 50M, and you can buy the complete Dutch defense for that amount of money. And David Luiz doesn't even know how to play football!
This, this and this!!!!!!
Old 14-07-2014, 01:33   #50
Matrix
Administrator

Ah crap, I knew it would come to this: copying and pasting on and off from Facebook. But anyway...

Some players are obviously better at international tournaments and others are better at club level. But I have to admit, the difference in both is astonishing for some! Like Ron Vlaar (better at the tournament) and Lionel Messi (better at club football). Messi definitely did not deserve to win the trophy for best player of the tournament. That was a recognition for his overall performance as a player (at FC Barcelona). He is a brilliant player, and I love him! But he disappointed during this tournament, yet again.