Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 03-05-2004, 10:05   #441
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

wow, beam, that was a great set of turns, especially considering the totally unprepared shit concerning the Iro war I handed over!
Old 03-05-2004, 13:16   #442
anarres
anarchist butcher

Preturn (790AD): I send our ships out to uncover more FoW.

Checking diplo...

Sell ToG to India for 56 gpt and 49 gold WM.
Sell WM to Portugal for 26 gpt, 6 gold, WM and a worker.
Sell TM to France for 15 gold.
Sell TM to Byzantenes for 9 gold.
Sell TM to Greece for 140 gold.
Sell WM to Maya for 39 gpt, 105 gold and WM.
Sell TM to the Babs for 20 gold.
Sell TM to Korea for 4 gpt, 4 gold and WM.
Sell WM to Rome for 7 gpt, 21 gold and WM.
Sell TM to the Ottos for WM and 1 gold.
Sell WM to China for 9 gpt, 26 gold and WM.
Sell WM to Arabia for 17 gpt, 23 gold and WM.
Sell TM to the Vikings for WM.
Sell WM to Carthage for WM and 592 gold.
Sell TM to Egypt for WM and 33 gold.

A tidy little diplo session.

Checking recently captured cities....

Tyendenaga is definitely too high a flip chance to keep, I note we'd had it 2 turns already. Sell improvements and abandon.
Mauch Chunk is another very high risk city, I sell improvements and abandon.

Grand River and Kente are safe this turn, but next they are gone...

Ahh shit. I forgot that in C3C you lose the road when you abandon a city.

Umm, can someone explain 'placeholder 1' and Lauwersoog? I see them in the pic from Killer, but every turn they exist hurts our produciton in lots of our cities...

I abandon them immediately...

That's about it for the pre-turn, although I notice we are not skimming workers again. This is very important since we get rails in 3 turns.
Old 03-05-2004, 13:19   #443
Aggie
Emperor

anarres, when you abandon cities you allow the AI to settle up to the maximum of 512. Did you resettle?

I'm very happy that you were able to make a decent buck out of the world map
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 13:53   #444
anarres
anarchist butcher

No I didn't aggie re-settle, but we have some cities about to flip back to the Iros, which simply can't be left. The one core city I disbanded was harming our outer cities with increased rank corruption - I made an extra 50 beakers-per-turn just by disbanding it.

There are also a few extra cities in our core, I am at a loss as to why. I think we can re-found when we raze Iro cities, but I am holding off abandoning the extra core cites until we get rails (when we can get our settler where we want).

Beam (and everyone else) - please don't take any of my comments as personal criticism! I am a perfectionist, so think of my comments as what I would do to make a great game perfect.

---------------------

Preturn (cont):

I decide to build a settler in Lauwersoog since it already has 50 shields towards a marketplace.

City check:

Change a few builds to workers and Libs (where they could be useful). I also change ALL the builds from Temple, I can see no reason to build any at all.

I also find New Groningen - why did you found this city Beam? I will wait to disband to make sure we get another city in the Iro lands.

Dordecht will also go soon. I am at a total loss as to this relatively recent change to our wide build strategy.

I have to confess confusion at some of the build choices too - lots of Temples and Markets, where Temples are not needed at all, and Libs should come before Markets (since we need research more than gold). Cavs being build in cities without Courthouses, etc...

I also rush a settler in Jinjan so it can be abandoned next turn. This was clearly stated in my turn report last time as a temporary city.

Old 03-05-2004, 18:15   #445
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
quote:Beam (and everyone else) - please don't take any of my comments as personal criticism! I am a perfectionist, so think of my comments as what I would do to make a great game perfect.
I surely don't take it as personal criticism, and maybe take just 1 or 2 of the comments as how to make a great game perfect.

First of all some crisis management was needed to get the war under control and this mainly was done by using the cities near Haarlem and Middelburg to build slow units like Swiss (mainly) and Settlers. Because of that it was better to have them there instead of abandoning them. Also, these cities literally can act as placeholders for future cities in former Persian / Iroq countries, i.e. abandon only when a settler is ready to build a city at a good site.

What also was needed to get the war under control was a solid front near our core and widening the landbridge to Delft. For that purpose Cavs needed to be rushed and therefore you prob. see Cavs being build in cities without Courthouses. I needed Cavs more than Courthouses at that time however and I rather rush them in low prod cities.

This about why it had to be done this way, it definitely would have been different if the situation near the Haarlem - Middelburg front wasn't so troublesome in the first couple of turns.

About the other cities, I am still at work so can't check the map but the cities you mention either had at least a purpose supporting the front or are there as placeholders. So only abandon when another city is ready to be build at a good spot.

I tend to use Temples and Marketplaces as "shield" collectors and as an indication that still a decision has to be made what to build there.

Then as I indicated I stopped early in the turn after GR and Kente were captured to give you the opportunity to prepare for the IT to your liking. So did no trading, no mm-ing, no other unit movement etc. I also hope you abandoned Tonawanda as I suggested.

And although the Iroqs must be getting weaker and weaker now we will still need a steady supply of cavs because there are still 17 Iroq core cities to go before we get a border with the Portugese.

That leaves the marketplace in Lauwersoog, I think I overlooked it.

Looking forward to your reports
Old 03-05-2004, 21:25   #446
anarres
anarchist butcher

IT: We lose 1 Cav to the Iros. Our Dyes disappear.

Turn 1 (800AD):

I take Owego, even though it is on hills.

Salamanca falls next - 3 armies is more than enough to take it with ease...

ARGH!!! An Elite Cav dies to an unfortified Reg Cav on grass.

I buy Dyes back form Carthage for 88 gpt.

A couple of thousand gets spent on rushing Libs where I can - we need the extra beakers more than anything else, including Cavs.

I empty Grand River and Kempt, I am holding off abandoning since I Can found 2 new cities next turn.

IT: We have so many Trebuchets and Cats that I am using them as bait. We already got 3 Iro Cavs that way.

Spain has finished off the French.

The Iros kill a single Swiss Merc in New Eindhoven.

Turn 2 (810AD):

Chondote is first - it falls easily and we gain another leader.

I found New Haarlem on a great future spot.

Allegheny is next on the West coast, it also falls easily as we have several armies there. This city gives us several furs and denies the Iros Saltpeter.

Seeing Steam Power drop in price this turn (1 turn at 30% instead of 70%) I go to Carthage (the tech leaders) and they have it already. I buy Steam from them for Furs, also getting WM and 796 gold as well.

I sell the WM/TM around again for about 200 gold.

That's it for tonight, more tomorrow...
Old 03-05-2004, 21:31   #447
Aggie
Emperor

Wow, what a deal regarding Steam!! Do we have coal?
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 22:16   #448
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Cool steam deal anar

And a point of learning for me is the cashflow from selling WM/TM every turn.

Looking at the Iroq counterattacks and defenses: imo you just broke'm

How about Iroq resources like Horsies and Salp?
Old 03-05-2004, 23:04   #449
anarres
anarchist butcher

We have coal (I didn't bother looking where yet), before I quit I RR'd about 10 or 15 tiles in a line (all our spare workers, more on the way).

Iros just lost Saltpeter, but they still have Horses and Iron (although we just took their second to last Iron).

Beam, I think you broke the Iros, but nevertheless they are broken.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:20   #450
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

anarres: the towns you name were placeholders - there was NO WAY to get settlers to the ex-Persian(?) lands in time for the flip risk.

they were there to have a settler brought into a good spot, then they should be abandoned by settler-rush and a good town founded instead.