Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Markstar's lair
Home

Old 12-07-2005, 20:01   #31
Markstar
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

So how come you moved to the BG?
Several reasons:
- A cow popped up so that means production (at the beginning) will be more important than growth.
- Working that tile first means next would be the wine -> happiness.
- Goes in the direction of the cattle which should be irrigated.
- 2nd city must be founded on the gold mountain asap -> the road which will connect the 2 cities -> easier to defend etc
With working the wheat first we would have lost several turns because the worker would have to cross the river.

Alright, our first warrior will be done next turn -> are we going to explore a little up the river or leave it at home? I suggest going up the river 4 or 5 tiles but then getting back.

Also, our built order is going to be essential for the philo run (and of course everything else). It is rather obvious that we have to build a setter before building a granary, otherwise the philo run will most certainly be lost. Also, we must consider building a worker before starting the granary. Depending on when (and if) we build it, the longer we will need to research. BUT, we will also greatly benefit from the workers actions in the long run.
Basically I see two options:
1) Warrior-Warrior-Settler-Granary-Worker-...
2) Warrior-Warrior-Settler-Worker-Granary-...

I leaning more towards 2) since even though research might be a tad slower (one less citizen that can create commerce) but production will be increased. Also, it seems we need A LOT of workers to chop down the forrest asap to find out if there are and bonus grassland underneath.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:27   #32
Whomp
King

I agree with #2 but I haven't counted out the steps about the timing for the gran.
One of the benefits of ag is our recovery from that strategy.
Check my math...
1. BG mine (6) and road (3) move (1)
2. Irrigate and road the the cow (4 and 3) move (1)
3. Irrigate and road the wines (4 and 3) move (1)
4. cross the river(1) then irrigate and road the plains (4 and 3) move (1)
Chop?
Does that math work?
Old 13-07-2005, 02:13   #33
Markstar
King

We don't want to irrigate the wine since we would not get a bonus from that until we are out of Despotism. So I would just build the road first and then move on to the cow right away. And after that I'd probably mine the wine, then chop some forrest to speed up the granary that we have started by then. Also, our second city will only need one tile (wine) for the time being, I suggest something like warrior-> third worker (city back to 1) -> warrior (exploring) -> granary (with help from worker). Or instead of the granary we build more warriors/workers to support our growing empire.

My main concern at the moment is our neighbours - we don't know how close they are or what techs they have that we might want to trade. Two techs we definitely need: WC and more importantly BW since a good defense against any attackers is crucial for our survival. Once we can build Spearmen, rushing units via forrest chopping is much more effective. And we will need all the defense we can get if we have Egypt, Aztecs or even worse Rome as our neighbours.

Oh, and I almost forgot: VERY interesting is that Team Metal apparently has NOT founded their capital on the gold mountain since they did not found their capital right away. I remember I did that in a PBEM once but then realized that I do get the gold bonus and decided to move back again to my original spot. I wonder what their reasoning for that move was.

Mmh, the more I think about it the more I am convinced that Republic might not be the way to go for us. There will just be too many units and who knows how soon/long we are going to be at war.

We need an ally, soon.
Old 13-07-2005, 02:18   #34
Markstar
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

Chop?
Does that math work?
Chop = cutting down the forrest.

And yes, that seems about right.
Old 13-07-2005, 21:47   #35
Markstar
King

Warrior is built! I moved it west since we should have enough time to explore the river a little bit before expecting any visitors.
Old 13-07-2005, 22:19   #36
Whomp
King

Cool. Maybe we'll find a mountain we can climb.
Old 14-07-2005, 01:16   #37
Markstar
King

Just did some more testing and I guess moving the worker to work on the BG first wasn't the best choice after all. Sorry Whomp for making that rash decision!
Old 14-07-2005, 17:48   #38
Whomp
King

I'm in a bit of a quandry.
Irrigate wheat, road
cross the river and mine 2nd BG, road
then if we mine the wines, we can't get water to the forest plains SW, but would have a shield powerhouse in the capital.
Then we can irrigate the cow.
What are you thinking the worker actions should be?
Old 22-07-2005, 21:54   #39
Markstar
King

Next turn was (finally) in. Moved the warrior north which only uncovered more forrest.
Old 31-07-2005, 22:28   #40
Markstar
King

3600 BC:

39.6KB

Lots of forest but at least we got some desert. [] We wWill grow and build warrior next turn, same as in another important game that is going on right now we will lose some shields but will make up for it when there is a second worker that can do some chopping.

Kemal and Eldakkar already grew, guess that means they either have cow nearby or, more likely, irrigated the wheat. *sigh* ... probably should have done that as well. But we'll be alright.