Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 08-02-2007, 15:08   #1
Tubby Rower

Default Wii coming to a Tubby near you.

When I had my recent vasectomy I attempted to get a video game console. Sherry convinced me that I would only play it a couple of days and then it would just sit there. I sort of saw her point, but I still want one.

I was looking at the different video game systems out there and the PS3 is freaking expensive. PS2 really doesn't do it for me. Xbox and Xbox 360 kept my attention, but I'd really like to play games with Ana and later Ethan. The GameCube is cheap and there are a lot of family style games, but then I saw the Nintendo Wii.

It has a wireless controller with motion sensor so if you are playing tennis you swing your arms like your holding a racket. If you are fighting someone in a game you move your arms around like you want your ingame character to. That is just way too cool. The Wii will also play all Gamecube games which is real nice since one game I want is Lego Star Wars Trilogy. I know this game is made for the rest of them, but one game doesn't justify the cost of a video game system.

Another thing that has me stuck on the Wii is the fact that it is more of a group play instead of being immersed in a single player game. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I intend to teach Ana and later Ethan how to play and hopefully Sherry might even get involved too... but that might be jsut wishful thinking.
Old 08-02-2007, 15:39   #2
Beorn
Disabled Vet

The wii has good potential for young kids and it involves a lot of moving around. While this can be a bit annoying for the parents at time, mind you, knowing your kids don't go all out couch-potato is worth it imho. I can't say I played it much, I barely did, but it was good fun. I hope they make more out of the motion sensor than hoola-hops game though, but it probably has a lot longer life potential than your ordinary console.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Old 08-02-2007, 15:43   #3
Tubby Rower

I saw someone play the legend of Zelda and apparently you could use the nunchuck attachment and one arm is your shield hand and the other is your sword. Also you move your hands like your really fishing in that part of the game. So there is nice potential especially in a Mortal Combat style game.
Old 08-02-2007, 15:49   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

Nintendo is good for kids in general. My 6 yr old has a DS and it's great (the GBA went to his younger bro). We also have a PS2, which has a lot of kiddie games on it that aren't bad (we play LegoStar Wars 2 right now, also Backyard Baseball and some others), but I think the Wii would be better for the next 2-4 years than a PS2. I've heard that it looks terrible on an HDTV, so using an older TV is just fine for it. PS3/360 are for 15-30 yr old males, it seems, just based on the games. Not good for kiddies.
Old 08-02-2007, 16:05   #5
Tubby Rower

PS3 and 360 have HD outputs..and as far as I know, they are the only 2. From what I understand any standard def would look sort of crappy on a HD monitor.
Old 08-02-2007, 17:08   #6
Shabbaman
Administrator

I have a DS lite and a PSP, works for me. Wii looks horrible, it doesn't appeal to me. I don't really like dexterity games either, so the whole concept of the wiimote is lost on me. I seriously doubt your little kids will be any good at it btw. Kids are not known for their superior hand/eye coordination (unless they're slinging dong).

Anyway, PS2 and gamecube are probably best worth their money unless you're a hardcore gamer. The wii is marginally better than the gamecube, so it's the wiimote that will have to do it for you. Try it in the store, let your wife/kids try it in the store, and see if it is something for you. From my sister I heard that it's great when you're drunk.

But while we're on the subject of being drunk, both the ps2 and the GC have some nice peripherals that are almost as good as the wiimote. You know, for games like guitar hero or dance dance revolution
Old 08-02-2007, 18:31   #7
Tubby Rower

Yeah I suspect that Ana will have a big learning curve (as likely will I). But I think that she'll be able to get it. It took her a few tries before she could get the hang of using a computer mouse, so I suspect that she'll get it but it might take a while.

The dexterity part of it is something that I do pretty good. I really feel bad for my brother if he ever plays it. It took him years to not turn controls on previous games when trying to get a little extra movement. And now with the Wii, it'll be virtually necessary.
Old 08-02-2007, 20:09   #8
Tubby Rower

I found this site on google... http://www.wiidamage.com/ I'm assuming that the original straps have all been replaced and this shouldn't happen anymore if used correctly, but it's good to know what some of the damage could be if you don't use the straps on the Wiimote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:05   #9
admiral kutzov

kc, you've got to buy all three. i read somewhere that there are professional leagues for MP and that the players have contracts and groupies.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57   #10
Beorn
Disabled Vet

It is all over the place on korean TV
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park