Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 25-09-2010, 00:13   #21
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
Firaxis showed they like big swings with civrev (pyramids out of goody huts...)
Is this a joke to emphasize things or was this for real ?

As for luck/randomness, it seems it got a boost with Civ5. Even if I reckon it was there and annoying in previous versions of the series.

So the combination of randomness and swings makes for really unbalanced games, I suppose...
Old 25-09-2010, 03:04   #22
Robboo
King

just read on another site...

XP harvesting. Basically you and another player control civ go to war and never kill a troop. You fight, gain XP then heal. They termed it war games which in a way it is. No real way to control this.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 05:56   #23
Whomp
King

I'm pretty discouraged by Sullla's comments. I think I'll continue to wait this one out. It may not matter because I doubt my machine will handle it.
Old 25-09-2010, 09:24   #24
Furiey
King

It's strange, I thought they were advertising this one as being easier on low end systems than Civ 4. Their idea of low end is obviously different from the rest of us, particularluy on the graphics side of thisngs.
Furiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 11:26   #25
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Is this a joke to emphasize things or was this for real ?
I guess you haven't read my civrev rant. It's no joke, it's "an entertaining factiod" (just a check to see if anyone saw TBBT yesterday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomp View Post
I'm pretty discouraged by Sullla's comments. I think I'll continue to wait this one out. It may not matter because I doubt my machine will handle it.
Why don't you just try the demo? There are several people with low end systems that are surprised the game is working at all. But the minimum requirements appear to be lower than stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiey View Post
It's strange, I thought they were advertising this one as being easier on low end systems than Civ 4. Their idea of low end is obviously different from the rest of us, particularluy on the graphics side of thisngs.
This is an interesting discussion that can only happen on a civ fansite. Most civver's perception on graphics cards are archaic. With all other games it's very apparent that you need to spend money on a graphics card, while we are still stuck with the idea that civ works best as a 2d game. Which is basically true, but that way you don't sell new games

And by "easier on low end systems than Civ 4" I think they mean a low end system you'd buy today, not one you have bought last year.
Old 25-09-2010, 19:43   #26
killercane
Prince

I think this game is more like Civ 3 and Im starting to like that. AI accumulates gold like no tomorrow, Monty had 2K+ in his treasury so I borrowed it all with luxes and gpt and bought every city state I could which replaced my luxes and gave me all the boost I need. I havent tested if you can break the gpt somehow but this is definitely the way to go.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 21:57   #27
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I put his comments to the test: went for city-state exploitation with Rhamkan (he gets +50% food and culture from juniors) for an easy deity victory on a duel map. Gonna have to try it on a larger scale pangea, but it sure looks like the fun with this game will be multiplayer.

I do have to agree with KC about how it's a bit more like civ3 with more/easier expansion for ressources. I also love that chess-y quality. It's just a shame about the AI and crashes.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park

Last edited by Beorn; 25-09-2010 at 22:00.
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 02:16   #28
killercane
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
I put his comments to the test: went for city-state exploitation with Rhamkan (he gets +50% food and culture from juniors) for an easy deity victory on a duel map. Gonna have to try it on a larger scale pangea, but it sure looks like the fun with this game will be multiplayer.

I do have to agree with KC about how it's a bit more like civ3 with more/easier expansion for ressources. I also love that chess-y quality. It's just a shame about the AI and crashes.
MP is nerfed from what I read with the science going so fast and no blazing fast timer. But I dont know I havent played yet.

RE: AI gold farming- Save your policies for the citystate tree, they give half their science produced on the third one or so, and will give you a massive boost. Once you get the +2 science from trading posts, you are unstoppable. Easily beat deity standard I think since they are so bad at war and there are so many chokepoints.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:40   #29
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

After a few hours of mucking about in civ V:

city states
A lot of abuse seems possible, in my first game I had 3 maritime states as allies getting me +9 food in cities and +15 in capital. Appears imba to me.

1 upt/army size
Generally the whole game seems to lean towards smaller army sizes. ie xpect research to be of more importance then because better units will perform better which can easily tip the balance with small armies. With research being scaled with pop, the maritime city advantage seems even more overpowered.

Randomness
The carry over from huge randomness from CivRev is a big mistake imo. City state has a random request (kill a few units, find a world wonder, build a wonder) and you get a hefty bonus for fulfilling that request. This will severely hurt MP play as someone who's lucky enough to have a few maritime neigbours with easy requests suddenly gets a great pop (and thus research) boost.

Same for the WLtKD/resource mechanic. Citizens wants a rnd resource, if you can trade for it/connect it you get WltKD

Embarking
Huge improvement, firaxis should have come up with this years ago.

All things considering I think the game is ok, but not the civ I knew and love. It feels they extended the CivRev down-dumbing without thinking much about the balance issues. As a result the game seems aimed for the SP, casual players. For MP or competitive play like GOtM these random factors will be detremental.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:44   #30
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

domination victory
Totally forgot to mention the domination vic carry over form CivRev. Haven't tested yet but duel map, 1 AI should become easy wins. At least good for getting the achievements quickly.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote